Effect of battery disconnect on battery charging

A question for you electrical guru's. I have a 2015 DRV and an issue came up with my storage facility. I have indoor storage and power to the trailer when stored to keep the batteries charged. Nothing is left on in the trailer and I have the Magnum 2812 psw inverter.

When the trailer is plugged in the charging light comes on and the batteries charge. I have always turned the battery disconnect off when it is stored. The storage facility just called and said they need to turn the battery disconnect back on for the batteries to charge. I told them no leave it off the batteries will charge through the inverter. They disagreed but will leave the batteries disconnected.

Am I right? I got to thinking I might be wrong and don't want to hurt the batteries. The reason I originally started disconnecting the batteries is that they forgot to plug in in once and the batteries did discharge quite a bit. What do the experienced camper say?

Tim & Cheryl
2015 Mobile Suites 39 TKSB3
2009 Volvo 670 D13 I-Shift  “Walter”

Happily Living Somewhere In Nevada

649EF470-4F2A-4D47-8AB9-AFD3462E24F4.jpeg

It really depends on how it is wired. My Tiffin motorhome was wired so the inverter/charger was wired directly to the batteries. The chassis battery on/off switch only turned off things fed by the battery bank but not the charger and inverter.

Roger & Mary
2014 Phaeton 36GH
2012 Honda Fit
Zoe (lab mix) and the cats (Sam & Milly)

It really depends on how it is wired. My Tiffin motorhome was wired so the inverter/charger was wired directly to the batteries. The chassis battery on/off switch only turned off things fed by the battery bank but not the charger and inverter.

While I agree that it matters how it is wired, which is why I mentioned how many wires there were to the battery post, the OP is talking about a 5th wheel. It does not have a chassis battery like a motorhome.

The battery disconnect in the outside control center on a DRV only disconnects the 12v power panel from the system. It does not disconnect the inverter/charger from the system. Your batteries will still charge with that switch turned off. Although the way the two separate battery banks are connected, it isn't the most efficient charge to the far bank. Also the BMK isn't measuring all of your useage the way the two banks are separated. This will all be fixed with the new install. I can show you how it is all wired up when we install your solar.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

With the charger off and the disconnect disconnected, check the voltage on the batteries. Turn on the charger and check again. If there is no change then they are not being charged. Turn the disconnect back on and check again. If the voltage is higher and probably rising then you know that the disconnect must be on to charge the batteries.

BTW, if the charger is NOT a 3-4 stage unit then do NOT leave it on for long periods or you will cook the batteries. Replace the charger with a multistage unit or charge it with a good multistage trickle charger.

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

EXPERTS AREN'T!! :D

The battery disconnect in the outside control center on a DRV only disconnects the 12v power panel from the system. It does not disconnect the inverter/charger from the system. Your batteries will still charge with that switch turned off. Although the way the two separate battery banks are connected, it isn't the most efficient charge to the far bank. Also the BMK isn't measuring all of your useage the way the two banks are separated. This will all be fixed with the new install. I can show you how it is all wired up when we install your solar.

Thank you Sensei! The coconut rum god will bless you soon. Do you need me to deliver any snow?

Tim & Cheryl
2015 Mobile Suites 39 TKSB3
2009 Volvo 670 D13 I-Shift  “Walter”

Happily Living Somewhere In Nevada

649EF470-4F2A-4D47-8AB9-AFD3462E24F4.jpeg

And as long as the MS2812 is set properly, it has very good charger. You might want to double check the settings and ensure that it has a battery temperature gauge in the mix. If not, I'd add that anyways, regardless of if in storage, or normal Shore Power to Shore Power usage.

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Archived