Flat towing a diesel pickup

noteven

If a person wanted to flat tow a single rear wheel Dodge 3500 variable GVW but max would be about 10000lbs with diesel engine - does someone make a proper towed braking system setup for that?

Thanks

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Are you looking for an aux braking system that would be added to a vehicle that would be towed with all 4 tires on the ground? Your best bet would be to go with a tow dolly or better yet a tandem axle trailer w/brakes to carry your truck on.

(I guess after research these systems are available, SMI, but very expensive, $1k+ and you still add miles/wear to the tow vehicle.)

Greg

I am using a Roadmaster base plate, and Blue Ox tow bar rated for 10000 lb. to tow my Ram dually. Blue Ox also makes a base plate for the Ram. I went with Roadmaster as it allowed for an level connection without the need for a raised connector. For braking I chose the SMI Air Force One, pricey but the best in my opinion.Only 4X4 Ram is flat towable, you need the nuetral position in the transfer case.

Using a trailer is most likely going to put you over the 10000 lb tow rating of many Diesel pushers.

I tow a gasser pickup, 4x4 is a must so the transfer case may be shifted into neutral and transmission in park. This is a must for flat-towing, otherwise the transmission is turning but not being lubricated.

M&G does not make a braking unit for Dodge diesel 2500/3500 pickups, but do for gassers. I suspect that is because diesels do not normally have vacuum brakes, they use a hydroboost system that works in common with power steering, no motor running-poor brakes.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

My concern would be having effective braking with the pickup's diesel engine not running. It is a manual trans with neutral selectable in the transfer case. I'm not interested in trailering it.

Thanks

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

The Motorhome towing guides do not address towing a diesel engine-powered Dodge, IMO it's safe to assume they will not accept any towed braking system. The only way to be sure is to contact the Ram truck division of Dodge/Chrysler/Fiat. Contact information will be in your owners manual.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Since the brake systems are all required to be operational without the engine running or power braking in operation, any of the systems like Brake Buddy or Blue Ox, Patriot that simply apply pressure to the existing brake pedal should work just fine. I towed with a Brake Buddy for more than 20 years and while none of the vehicles towed were diesel, without the engine running, I don't see why it would matter to the brake system?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived