Your opinion on a quality fifth wheel (specific stipulations listed)

lahines25

Newbie here! I know this question is asked a lot, but I am looking for opinions on what you think is a high quality 5th wheel on the market with the following stipulations:

1) 27-32 ft long (so can go pretty much anywhere, including campsites).

2) High quality: quality construction, durable rails for slide outs, no leaking issues, safe, etc.

3) Moderately priced: do not want low end, but do not want custom made with a high price tag.

4) Can be towed by a mid-size truck (like a F250).

Other things to consider for my situation:

* Full time living: looking for durability and quality since this will be our home for a minimum of 2 years, potentially much longer.

* 2 people.

* Do not need luxury. More focused on practicality and efficiency.

* Do not own a lot of material things, but would like some storage space for recreational items like golf clubs, etc.

I appreciate any feedback you may have pertaining to this matter!

What Lou said. Once upon a time we had an Arctic Fox. So far, the best built RV we've ever had, and we've had a few.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

One more thing, make sure you understand your truck's towing and weight carrying capacities, especially the rear axle weight limit, which is where all of the 5th wheel's pin weight will be carried.

Quality 5th wheels (and conventional trailers) tend to be heavier than others their size. Larger frames, more insulation, even using real wood instead of thin laminates for the cabinets all add weight compared to more lightly made trailers.

If you already have your F250, google it's year's Towing Guide and download the official Ford publication. If you're buying new, get the most recent edition at https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/2017/2017_RV_Trailer_Towing_Guide.pdf Other truck manufacturers have similar publications.

Note that the maximum towing weight is dependent on several factors within each model range, including things like engine size, transmission type, whether the truck has a towing package and the rear axle ratio.

You have to look at all of the weights, not just the towing capacity. Every pound of weight you carry in the truck subtracts a like amount from how much you can tow, and it doesn't hurt to be conservative since RV 5th wheel trailers are taller and wider so they have have more frontal area (wind resistance) than the smaller trailers such as a utility or a horse trailer used to determine the tow ratings.

If you're getting close to the F250 limits but don't want to get a full dually, the F350 is available as a single rear wheel model that looks very similar to the F250 but has many of the heavier components.

Archived