Registering a HDT as an RV in Missouri

Seniramsu

Because it wasn't a simple inspection and trip to the DMV for my plates, thought I would share what was needed in Missouri to get your HDT converted.

In order to register a HDT (Volvo 780) as an RV Missouri, you will need to do the following:

1. Go to the local DMV and purchase a MO-551 form. (http://dor.mo.gov/forms/551.pdf, $26 estimated cost)

2. Schedule an appt. with Highway Patrol to have the HDT inspected.

3. Volvo780 was passed with the following (Commercial plate MUST be removed):

a. Bed (Sleeping)

b. Dinette (Eating area)

c. Microwave (Cooking)

d. Inverter (Separate 120V power)

e. Smoke alarm

f. Webasco cab heater (Separate heat, there was a lot of debate on this as the law says electric or propane. This is diesel, they let it slide.)

g. Fire extinguisher

I had a porta potty, and I was told that it would not pass inspection due to it not being permanently installed. It had to be bolted down.

4. With a signed off 551 form, send it along with other paperwork to Jefferson City (Title, sales tax, proof of ins, bill of sale. Everything you would normally provide to get tags.) You'll also have to provide pictures of your items that qualified as an RV (All the things that the highway patrol just inspected). Also, provide a pic from the front of the truck showing the entire front and side; from the rear showing the entire rear and side).

We also had to provide a check for $7.50 and one for $2.50 for processing.

5. I then received a phone call from the Highway Patrol Office letting me know my new VIN plate was in. Schedule another appt and go have Highway Patrol install the new VIN plate. After that process, they will let the DMV know that has been completed.

6. Jefferson City DMV will send you your new title, 2016 Specially Constructed RV Conversion, so that you can get plates.

The entire process was just shy of 3 months to complete. We started in late November 2016 and as of March 1st 2017, we are still waiting on the title to show up in the mail.

With a call to the Highway Patrol, they were able to get us the title number and we used that to get the plates on the truck.

2013 Volvo 780 "Grunt" D13 I-Shift w/ ET Hitch

2016 Cyclone 4200

Same thing we went through in MO, We had a Rigmaster APU that provides separate heat and AC plus 12VDC and 115VAC. A fridge, microwave, 2 beds, dinette and the porta-potty was installed in the closet with a melamine flange around it with screws holding it down, that was accepted as "permanent" though the front of the flange is open to facilitate sliding the potty out for servicing.

Any additions to the truck to make it a legal RV must have receipts or bills of sale (microwave and potty).

Though you are legal in MO there are ignorant DOT/LEO's out there who in their own minds believe you are skirting the law and may try to bully you like happened to us in Illinois. This was a one time incident while we were looking more like a flat bed truck than an RV under construction. At this time we have removed the signage that says PRIVATE MOTORHOME NOT FOR HIRE because it is kind of obvious what we are at this point and would have no problem arguing it's status. Since the full conversion we have never been given a second glance.

Good deal finally!

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

I do not understand the need for a new VIN plate. Is this a new "plate" with the same number or a new VIN?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I do not understand the need for a new VIN plate. Is this a new "plate" with the same number or a new VIN?

They ended up putting on a new plate with a whole new number. My title even now reflects this new number they have assigned.

2016 Cyclone 4200

Seniramsu, I would recommend that you keep a record of you old VIN. You will often need it when getting parts. Be safe, Charlie

Good advice, thank you. They did leave the sticker inside the door with the original VIN on it, so will have it if needed.

2016 Cyclone 4200

They rivet in the new VIN plate in a different spot on the door post, the old one is always available. They also put a decal on the drivers window glass with some notice for LEO's to that effect.

From what they told us at the time this vehicle cannot ever go back to being a commercial vehicle.

They rivet in the new VIN plate in a different spot on the door post, the old one is always available. They also put a decal on the drivers window glass with some notice for LEO's to that effect.

From what they told us at the time this vehicle cannot ever go back to being a commercial vehicle.

They did the same thing to mine. I didn't get the window sticker. I'm not going back to ask for it.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

So is truck now titled as a 2017 model ?

That's what I'm afraid Kansas will want to do and then I'll be paying taxes on a 2017 instead of a 1999

1999 Volvo VNL610, Cummins M11 - 350/400 HP, 10 speed Rockwell - 'CHIEF'

Custom flatbed with TrailerSaver air hitch.

3 cyl 8000 watt Kubota diesel generator.

New Mexico April 2019.jpg

So is truck now titled as a 2017 model ?

That's what I'm afraid Kansas will want to do and then I'll be paying taxes on a 2017 instead of a 1999

Yes, the title shows it as a 2016 (when I started this process) Specially Constructed Motor Vehicle. Nothing about it being a 2013 truck.

2016 Cyclone 4200

So if it gets stolen, it will be linked to the new VIN. The old VIN (the one hidden on the frame) doesn't exist any more. Any auto theft guys, if they crawl under looking for the hidden VIN will be looking at the old one, and not the new one. Wow, I'm not sure I like that. The vehicle was issued a VIN when it was made. I fail to see the purpose of issuing another to the same vehicle. They can issue a title and call it a rocket ship if that is what they want to do, and still use the original VIN. There is no "need" to change the VIN unless, like CHIEFWAHO mentioned, it is about paying taxes on a newer year model.

I'll stick with the manufacturers VIN....Sure am glad I live in Texas.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

So if it gets stolen, it will be linked to the new VIN. The old VIN (the one hidden on the frame) doesn't exist any more. Any auto theft guys, if they crawl under looking for the hidden VIN will be looking at the old one, and not the new one. Wow, I'm not sure I like that. The vehicle was issued a VIN when it was made. I fail to see the purpose of issuing another to the same vehicle. They can issue a title and call it a rocket ship if that is what they want to do, and still use the original VIN. There is no "need" to change the VIN unless, like CHIEFWAHO mentioned, it is about paying taxes on a newer year model.

I'll stick with the manufacturers VIN....Sure am glad I live in Texas.

Nope, its covered, they put a new one on the frame as well

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to seize this post since my Jarhead will be offline for a few days.  :rolleyes: He is with the talented Henry Szmyt, hooking up our ET Hitch!    (Henry and Davena, thank you for the warm welcome, serving breakfast/dinner and letting our kids swim in your pool. )

Me, Henry and our ET Hitch

Henry

Grunt (Ground Ready Unit Not Trained, aka MOS 0351)

Grunt

Heartland Cyclone / Volvo VNL780 (aka Grunt)

Archived