Colorado National Monument

homelesshartshorns

Is either of the roads into the park as daring as they look on Google Earth to get a Large Motorhome and toad into?

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

Tried https://www.flattestroute.com/ if you set it to go from Silver City, NM to Cortez, Co it will run you on dirt roads!!!! Namely road 19 north of Luna, NM. Just a heads up

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

I am not quite sure why you would want to take your motor home/toad there. The road isn't that bad - but I am not sure about the height of two or so tunnels. Most people want to stop and read the info signs and stop on pull-outs to look at the monuments. etc. I don't think that would be very easy in general but would be possible at some of them.

Why not just stop by my place in Palisade ( 10 or 15 miles from the east entrance), leave your Motor home in the RV site in my side yard and drive the toad to the Monument?

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

Major Contributor that sounds like a good plan if I was not going to camp in the park. But I assume there is a camp site near the Visitors Center. What is the name of your establishment?

We've taken our 40' motorhome to the campground and there were quite a few big sites. We drove up from Fruita. The tunnels are 16' in the middle - plenty of room. It's a lovely campground - dry camping.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Dry camping in the park! Woo then its expensive to camp up there? I guess if you make the drive up you don't mind paying anything to stay.

Here's the park's website with lots of good information. You'll note that camping fees are $20. If you have the national Senior Pass it would be $10 with free park entrance. We don't think $10 is high for staying in a national park amidst gorgeous surroundings. Billions of stars to view at night and no noise.

https://www.nps.gov/colm/planyourvisit/fees.htm

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Here's the park's website with lots of good information. You'll note that camping fees are $20. If you have the national Senior Pass it would be $10 with free park entrance. We don't think $10 is high for staying in a national park amidst gorgeous surroundings. Billions of stars to view at night and no noise.

https://www.nps.gov/colm/planyourvisit/fees.htm

I had forgotten about this being Federal! Maybe climbing that hill will be good after all!

Major Contributor that sounds like a good plan if I was not going to camp in the park. But I assume there is a camp site near the Visitors Center. What is the name of your establishment?

Not Establishment just my house. When we stopped full timing and bought a s&b we put in two RV sites with 30 amp power - water from the house outside faucet . One for our motor home and one for friends and visitors.

You are welcome to stay - no charge.

Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

Not Establishment just my house. When we stopped full timing and bought a s&b we put in two RV sites with 30 amp power - water from the house outside faucet . One for our motor home and one for friends and visitors.

Interesting offer. If you would like to send me your address via email we could talk. homelesshartshorns@gmail.com

In email remind me who you are!

Interesting offer. If you would like to send me your address via email we could talk. homelesshartshorns@gmail.com

In email remind me who you are!

Okay - sent you an email with info. Hope you can stop by.

Honda Accord toad.

About staying in the CG inside the park. If you are going to spend 3-5 nights camping inside the park then it is worth your while to camp there.

I would come up from Fruita, not from the Grand Junction side.

Unless you are going to be doing some hiking and or seeing the sunrise/sunsets from the overlooks inside the park, there is little reason to make the effort to haul your RV up the hill to the CG.

You can see just about everything there is to see just by driving through the park. (unless you want to hike, etc)

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Mr. Al that is the kind of information I was looking for. Thank you

Your are welcome. BTW seeing the shadows caused by the sun angling across the landscape at sunrise and sunset makes it well worth while to make the effort to stay in the CG inside the park. It is just a 3-15 minute drive to the various overlooks along the rim.

I realize, to most all of the folks who recommend staying in an RV Park with hookups, seeing nature during all hours of the day and night is not nearly as much a priority as have hookups for their RV. Different folks have different interests.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Archived