Terrible QC and shoddy workmanship!

rbertalotto

This morning I'm looking at the door on the refrigerator in my Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler. The decorative wood front panel never fit properly. It was cut just a bit to small and pops out of the channel that holds it.

I realized that the edge molding on the door simply pops off and the panel can be slid out.

When I removed the panel I saw that the factory used a bunch of tooth picks to prop up the too small panel and hold it in place.

IMG_2144-vi.jpg

The toothpicks moved and and the panel dropped down a bit.

Simply amazing that they can't even cut a simple panel to the correct size.

And we pay big $$ for this crap!

IMG_2143-vi.jpg

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

Exactly... Hang around the RV forums long enough, and you'll figure out that "QC" at some RV manufacturers consists of a guy standing at the exit as new units roll out saying "Looks good from here." :rolleyes:

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

For years the only QC inspector for the low to medium priced RVs is the guy who buys it and once the money changes hands he has little pull with the manufacturer. Nothing new, the big three operated the same way until Imports forced otherwise.

A tour of any brand factory and price range will be very educational in terms of quality and workmanship and we have been to many, may plants.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Only been to one manufacturer and that's Outdoors RV in LaGrande, Oregon. The tour guide was one of the factory reps. He was very thorough and didn't mind a lot of questions. I was impressed with the quality and workmanship. It takes a week to build a trailer, not hours like some manufacturers brag about. There's a reason for their great reviews. Northwoods is in the same town. Can't miss with either one!

Jim & Linda Kelly

2015 F-350 DRW 2WD 14k gvwr

2016 Outdoors Wind River 270cisw

Only been to one manufacturer and that's Outdoors RV in LaGrande, Oregon. The tour guide was one of the factory reps. He was very thorough and didn't mind a lot of questions. I was impressed with the quality and workmanship. It takes a week to build a trailer, not hours like some manufacturers brag about. There's a reason for their great reviews. Northwoods is in the same town. Can't miss with either one!

Looking at the Outdoors RV website, it really "looks" impressive. I would think they should be a trailer folks should look at and consider if planning on buying.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

And STILL we buy this crap... who's worse, those who make it or those who buy it knowingly?

Because the worst day in my crappy RV was better than the best day in a hospital bed. :)

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Well, part of the issue is that most of us are wanting top quality and rock bottom price.  This has been the trend across many market segments and amplified by the overseas labor market which so many companies tapped into -- once that started (thanks Jack Welsh), the others had no choice.  There are still niche markets where companies can make profit providing high end, quality - but not as many as before the great outsourcing decade. 

That said, the OP's example is still pretty darn shoddy and beyond what any of us (or the suppliers themselves) would expect or accept.  I would send them and the dealer I purchased the rig from pictures and shame them into some compensation.  The only way this crappy level of quality gets corrected is if people stop buying.  That hasn't happened with the Wally World goods and suspect it won't with the RV industry either.  Having our cake and eating it too simply does not work.

I wonder if the toothpicks were turned on a lathe to get the correct interference fit? :lol:

Might be surprised at how many units come off the line per  day.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

The DW and I are grateful for our experiences with Forest River as new Travel Trailer (Coachman) customers.  The lessons learned there saved us from making the mistake of purchasing a motorhome (Dynamax) from them!

2006 Renegade/Freightliner Coronado 43', Detroit, twin screw, 12spd

On 2/28/2017 at 5:39 AM, Newt said:

Terrible QC and shoddy workmanship!

So, what's new? :lol:

Newt

Ditto what he said (above)!

rbertalotto - nobody is forcing you to pay (what you think is) ".....big $$ for this crap".

Big $$ -  is a new Horizons!

The Teton a poster mentioned *was* a quality product, until the last few years before they folded.

The "QC" on many/most trailers and RVs is by piece workers ("Quality Amish Craftsmen", LOL)

It's SOP - and has been for years and years.  What makes you think it will change?

Yes - there are a few mfgrs (very few) that care about quality - and verifying what comes off the production line.

Had a chat with an RV salesman once (he knew I was just killing time) about folks bringing trailers back for repairs of "things" both the factory and dealer "missed" prior to delivery..

His suggestion:  The factory should supply the buyer with a nice set of tools.

it is - what it is.:wacko:

Archived