lexidog

$20 a month Standalone Unlimited AT&T Hotspot plan

217 posts in this topic

On 3/15/2017 at 6:27 AM, rbertalotto said:

Absolute grief trying to get the Mobley I bought from Best Buy activated. Nearly 3hours on the phone with various departments of AT&T. Four different representatives and being disconnected twice!

in the end I was told I need to go to a store to have the SIM card activated. I have an appointment at 10am this morning.

WISH ME LUCK!

Well, I've been using the mobley in my house with the AC adapter available on eBay and in the car plugged into the OBD.... I could not be more pleased! Watching DirecTVNow and Curiosity TV with perfect performance. Can't be beat!

but it appears all the Moblynunits are sold out or very hard to find. One is on eBay right now with a bid of $112 !

4 hours ago, rb5505 said:

Thanks for the reply, but do you/anyone know if the mobley sim works in the home base?  Not really asking about how att will feel about it or what they eventually might do.  

From a technical standpoint, it should work, albeit without the phone service. I don't know what the SIM size difference might be, but an adapter would deal with that if the Mobley SIM is smaller than the Homebase SIM.

Or, you can cut a sim down to the proper size with an Xacto knife, if you are careful. 

Be sure not to get any blood on the contacts. ;)

2 minutes ago, Jack Mayer said:

Or, you can cut a sim down to the proper size with an Xacto knife, if you are careful. 

Be sure not to get any blood on the contacts. ;)

Yep, "been there, done that"... Including the blood! :o:D

13 hours ago, Smitty77_7 said:

Well I checked our order about an hour ago, and the status reflected shipped. Had a phone number associated to it, and still refers to the device as a Mobley. I called the Connected Car number, and at first got put off into a transfer game which ended up in chose this number for this, and that number for that - of which none sounded like Connected Car. So hung up, called back again, waited about two minutes, and this CSR seemed to know what I was talking about. After about 5-10 mins, he said he got the account updated to the unlimited (Confusing, as I see some calling it 22GB, in fact I did too in a post...). But he assured me it was $20 month, and that no step down in speed after 10GB has been used. 

The device should reach Box Elder by Thursday, and we may just go ahead and have it shipped early to catch up with us. 

We'll need to let things simmer on the account to see what it reflects when I next logon:)!

Time will tell if this one goes thru well for us...

Best to all,

Smitty

Well I thought I better get back online today and review our account from the call yesterday to the Connect Car CSR, as between us I was concerned we had a 'failure to communicate'... (He was very nice, and good, at asking me if I wanted to add new features, even had a tablet he wanted to send me at no cost, well - except another $10 a month to the account:)! It's his job to sell too, I understand.)

And yep, looks like he has this set up wrong. The Mobley looks to me like it was added into my 20GB Share plan... Nothing on the account says Unlimited, and it sure does not seem to be 'stand alone' as I used that buzzword multiple times with him. Stand Alone "Connected Car Unlimited" for $20 a month... 

Benefit of the doubt that the online account may not have caught up with what he did yesterday, but strongly suspect he just did not find the plan, and added it into my account as just another device to Share Data across the other devices... 

We'll see... It will be worth going thru the aggravation IF I can get them to get this set up right:)!

Best to all,

Smitty

I'm surprised he tried to sell you something. when I called the "car Connection" number they were all business.......................

46 minutes ago, Smitty77_7 said:

Well I thought I better get back online today and review our account from the call yesterday to the Connect Car CSR, as between us I was concerned we had a 'failure to communicate'... (He was very nice, and good, at asking me if I wanted to add new features, even had a tablet he wanted to send me at no cost, well - except another $10 a month to the account:)! It's his job to sell too, I understand.)

And yep, looks like he has this set up wrong. The Mobley looks to me like it was added into my 20GB Share plan... Nothing on the account says Unlimited, and it sure does not seem to be 'stand alone' as I used that buzzword multiple times with him. Stand Alone "Connected Car Unlimited" for $20 a month... 

Benefit of the doubt that the online account may not have caught up with what he did yesterday, but strongly suspect he just did not find the plan, and added it into my account as just another device to Share Data across the other devices... 

We'll see... It will be worth going thru the aggravation IF I can get them to get this set up right:)!

Best to all,

Smitty

The DW changed our AM plans, so I went ahead and called back tot he Connect Car department. Waited a few minutes to get a rep. This time I specifically asked her if I had reached the Connect Car group? She said yes, but, that Connect Car and Mobile are in the process of being combined. Until this is completed, sometimes a Mobile CSR that has not yet been set up to cover Connect Car may have to transfer a customer to another CSR. 

Explained what I tried to do yesterday, and that it looked to me like Mobley had been adde to my Shared XXGB account (I say XX, as it reflects 20GB, but Customer Loyalty CSR that had helped me now two days ago, had said this would actually become a 40GB Shared account, but would not reflect this until another account billing month rolls by - we'll see:)!).

The CSR looked everything over, and said yes it looks like the agent yesterday had added the Mobley into our XX GB Shared account. She asked me to hold, came back on 4-5 minutes later and said she had changed it to a stand alone account, and that it was the Unlimited Data promotional plan for $20 per month. She said as she was recently trained on the Connect Car side of the ATT world, that she had her supervisor review everything before saving. 

She had me log back on so I could see the changes myself. I did, and nothing had changed. She said wait a minute as she logged onto my account again so that she could see the same thing I was. She did, and said yes she agreed, that she did not see the changes she had just made reflected. Was in the process of putting me on hold to ask her supervisor for help again - when she excitedly said 'Oh, it just changed!' I now see Plan 2... I logged off and on again, and yep it looks like this time everything is set back up. 

Plan 2 has my Mobley phone number, and reflects Unlimited Data. 

I admit that every time I call ATT, I feel I'm at risk of something being messed up on my account. Very concerned that the gent that fumbled the changes yesterday, has 'undone' what the Loyalist CSR established as the 40GB Shared plan (Not available to mere mortal CSR's, and only authorized to be given under extreme conditions. Which she felt I had met from all of the problems related to the Homebase Rural Line/250GB fumbled attempt.) But for now, I'm going to DO NOTHING. Get the Mobley in my hand next week, get it activated. Then wait until the next months billing cycle is completed, and see what is reflected for fees, charges, activation costs, credits, and if the 40GB Share plan is reflected, vs the 20GB that is on the account now...

The old too many chef's, well these CSR's sometimes seem to be chef's assistance in knowledge, can really mess up a meal (Plan!).

Best to all,

Smitty

In reading some of the problems others have had in getting the $20 unlimited plan set up, I think I may have been fortunate in getting an inexperienced CSR when the busy Connected Car line switched me over. She at least knew what she didn't know and asked for help right away. Once she got an experienced Connected Car rep involved, the process went quickly and accurately. The minor delay waiting was well worth it apparently...

Edited by Dutch_12078

On the Mobley, check the shipping email. They changed my Mobley order to a Audiovox connected car device with no prior contact nor permission.  I just returned that incorrect device.  If your shipping email says Audiovox they have done the same to you.

Over 45 minutes on the phone, including with the connect car folks, and they never comprehended they sent the wrong device.  I explained it multiple ways and finally gave up and told them I was returning it.

9 minutes ago, Biker56 said:

What does the Mobley do the Audiovox doesn't?

Both plug into the OBDII and the Audiovox even comes with FREE Roadside Assistance.

Both have the unlimited Internet. :huh:

The audiovox doesn't have hotspot feature

After following this post I decided to try one of these Mobley devices. Went to Best Buy and they checked and said yep we have them and yes we can setup and activate them for you. I said great lets do it. Well long story, short version, after an hour later with very helpfull ATT CSR it was determined that the device they had was not a Mobley but in fact it was an Audiovox device. CSR said Audiovox device is not really a wifi hotspot but more of a diagnostic device and not eligible for $20 plan. No where on the box did it say Audiovox or ZTE Mobley.

Salesman did call another Best buy and they confirmed they did have the Mobley device. 15 minute drive and 10 minutes with the sales rep i was up and running. Once we had the correct device the $20 unlimited plan showed up as an option on their ATT site.

Now just need to get a power adapter because it not work well when I have it plugged into the car and i'm in the house

7 minutes ago, Dale G said:

After following this post I decided to try one of these Mobley devices. Went to Best Buy and they checked and said yep we have them and yes we can setup and activate them for you. I said great lets do it. Well long story, short version, after an hour later with very helpfull ATT CSR it was determined that the device they had was not a Mobley but in fact it was an Audiovox device. CSR said Audiovox device is not really a wifi hotspot but more of a diagnostic device and not eligible for $20 plan. No where on the box did it say Audiovox or ZTE Mobley.

Salesman did call another Best buy and they confirmed they did have the Mobley device. 15 minute drive and 10 minutes with the sales rep i was up and running. Once we had the correct device the $20 unlimited plan showed up as an option on their ATT site.

Now just need to get a power adapter because it not work well when I have it plugged into the car and i'm in the house

Glad you where able to get it setup without to much drama, it's never easy and straight forward unfortunately but definitely worth it in the end.

if you need to buy a power adapter ebay is cheaper than amazon, I am really liking my USB power adapter. My AC one works well too and maybe better if just using in one spot all the time but USB is convenient for on the go.

Edited by lexidog

The Mobley worked really well on the road. Now home and living in the woods, signal runs around -107. Would like to improve it just a bit wirhout much complexity. Thus; have been looking at the Wilson Sleek for under a hundred bucks. Seems like a simple, low cost, no fuss way to gain a bit more signal. Any reason why laying the Mobley into it would not work. 

Edited by Dick N

Find a used 4g-x or 4g-m and look at rvmobileinternet.com to see what Chris and Cherie have found for antennas.  I have a 4g-x in the trailer with a bendable trucker antenna and a 4g-m in the tow vehicle with the included stubby antenna.  Both work great and I saved boku bucks by buying used on ebay.