lexidog

$20 a month Standalone Unlimited AT&T Hotspot plan

237 posts in this topic

Longtime lurker first time poster

I saw this on another RV forum posted and thought I would pass along, had mine for little over a month and works great, its only $20 plus taxes, and don't need any other AT&T plan(I have Verizon)

I used the crap out of this thing and it worked perfect with fast speeds the whole time.... I just looked on the bill, I used 192 GB last month on it and it never slowed. Device is called a Mobley and its made for cars but you can by adapters to use with wall power.

Details can be found on this Cell forum. House power plug-in power supplies are cheapest on ebay, just search ZTE Mobley.

Also on amazon but higher

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L8CEDBU?m=A27DVM5RJOXCTZ&ref_=v_sp_widget_detail_page

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1894167-Stand-alone-AT-amp-T-Unlimited-ZTE-Mobley-Hotspot-now-only-20!!!!!

Update: Starting 3/1/17 the price of plan has changed to only $20 for connected car stand-alone plan

Edited by lexidog
fixed typo, just switched to verizon from t-moble

Longtime lurker first time poster

I saw this on another RV forum posted and thought I would pass along, had mine for little over a month and works great, its only $40 plus taxes, and don't need any other AT&T plan(I have T-mobile)

I used the crap out of this thing and it worked perfect with fast speeds the whole time.... I just looked on the bill, I used 192 GB last month on it and it never slowed. Device is called a Mobley and its made for cars but you can by adapters to use with wall power. I have T-mobile unlimited also but its not as fast after I watch netflix a bit, gets slowed.

Details can be found on this Cell forum

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1893674-40-Unlimited-ZTE-Mobley-LTE-Hotspot-Setup-and-Troubleshooting-thread

Where did you find the unlimited plan for $40? The best that I can find on ATT's website is $30 for 3GB of data, which is extremely expensive. Thanks

The best that I can find on ATT's website is $30 for 3GB of data with it also. No option of the 22GB or unlimited.

Edited by Biker56

At Dick's link above, note 2 says in part:

"2AT&T Connected Car Unlimited Plan: U.S. only. Consumer and Individual Responsibility Users only. Eligibility: Requires eligible vehicle, eligible aftermarket device and new or existing AT&T wireless account. Data Restrictions: After 22GB of data usage on vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot in a bill cycle, for the rest of the cycle AT&T may slow data speeds on vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot during periods of network congestion. Pricing: $40 per aftermarket device monthly plan charge (3 aftermarket devices on plan results in $120 monthly plan charge). Devices: Sold separately. Limits: 3 aftermarket devices per plan.

Technomadia over at RVmobileinternet.com has already covered it and gave their members first look at it. Check over at their site to see the pros/cons. Overall, a great deal, but now with AT&T's new Unlimited plan, seems maybe not as necessary, as long as you have an AT&T phone as well (Can get the CHoice plan with unlimited hotspot add-on for $20!). I'm starting to check with my friends to see if anyone has an AT&T plan and wouldn't mind me joining them so I can get a hotspot sim....

It is a great deal if you don't have att phones which I don't and yes its truely unlimited and only $40, I have no reason to make it up. Its a new promotion plan not offered on the website yet, you have to call to get it or go to the store.

Edited by lexidog

If you can find someone with AT&T service and is going to move to the new unlimited plan, give them $20/month and they can get you an unlimited hotspot line. That's what I'm hoping to do (already have VZ phones and hotspot, and a T-Mobile phone), to add AT&T cheaply to the arsenal.

Just out of curiosity I called AT&T and then a local AT&T store. What I was told (by both)... the stand-alone (no existing account) Mobley (prepaid) is $45 a month. With auto-pay drops it to $40. 4gig's LTE then drops to 2G for data.

The new "unlimited" plan for a stand-alone single Mobley is $90 w/2year contract. 22gig's LTE then drops to 2G.

Asking about as an add-on to an existing account... $20 for the 4gig LTE/2G option. $40 for the 22gig LTE/2G w/existing "unlimited" phone line.

I asked if the speed was reduced only during periods of network congestion and both told me no. It automatically drops to 2G service once the monthly limit has been reached... "but there are no additional charges for any monthly overages". Aka.. "unlimited" I guess. ;)

On Edit: To be fair to the OP.. both places DID tell me that those are new plan pricing options as of 02/28 (today). Tomorrow they are releasing some additional new roll-outs, but that the Mobley would not be affected.

Edited by Yarome

I believe the employee was still quoting the old plan (well, 10 day old). AT&T upped the ante yesterday, and Technomadia folks covered it. Looks like the new unlimited hotspot add on is only network optimized after a time, not throttled. We shall see though, the plan doesn't go live until later this week.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/att-tries-again-new-unlimited-plus-choice-plans-are-way-more-competitive/

Just out of curiosity I called AT&T and then a local AT&T store. What I was told (by both)... the stand-alone (no existing account) Mobley (prepaid) is $45 a month. With auto-pay drops it to $40. 4gig's LTE then drops to 2G for data.

The new "unlimited" plan for a stand-alone single Mobley is $90 w/2year contract. 22gig's LTE then drops to 2G.

Asking about as an add-on to an existing account... $20 for the 4gig LTE/2G option. $40 for the 22gig LTE/2G w/existing "unlimited" phone line.

I asked if the speed was reduced only during periods of network congestion and both told me no. It automatically drops to 2G service once the monthly limit has been reached... "but there are no additional charges for any monthly overages". Aka.. "unlimited" I guess. ;)

On Edit: To be fair to the OP.. both places DID tell me that those are new plan pricing options as of 02/28 (today). Tomorrow they are releasing some additional new roll-outs, but that the Mobley would not be affected.

yOn Edit: To be fair to the OP.. both places DID tell me that those are new plan pricing options as of 02/28 (today). Tomorrow they are releasing some additional new roll-outs, but that the Mobley would not be affected.

I don't have prepaid, i have the postpaid $40 unlimited connected car plan, its stand-alone, I will admit the att reps are clueless when asking about it but if you tell them to look at the connected car page they will find it and set it up.

There is many posts about it on cell forums, many people have it, according the the posts so far no one has ever been slowed and it truly seems unlimited. But I am just letting people know about it, whether your interested in or not at least you should know your options. Also if you want to call about it you need to call att connected car dept, regular reps don't deal with them very often and are clueless.

Edited by lexidog

Does anyone have any idea if I buy a Mobley at Best Buy($99) would I need to sign up for the 2 year plan or could I go month by month? I don't like these long term contracts as too many things change in 2 years in our techy world.

Does anyone have any idea if I buy a Mobley at Best Buy($99) would I need to sign up for the 2 year plan or could I go month by month? I don't like these long term contracts as too many things change in 2 years in our techy world.

Month to month if you purchase it outright at best buy, at&t will give it to you for free but you have to sign 2 yr contract, make sure you click the link in my first post for all the details on getting activated, it can be a bit of a pain as most at&t customer service reps don't know about the mobley or what it even is.

Edited by lexidog

Check and see what the early termination fee is on the contract. If it adds up to no more than buying the Mobley outright, why not go on contract. If it's still a workable solution 2 years later, you're ahead of the game. I went on contract with our HomeBase plan for exactly that reason. The direct buy price is $199, and the early termination fee is $150. Add the contract $45 activation fee to that, and the prices are about the same either way, but much less if the plan works well for 2 years and beyond.

Check and see what the early termination fee is on the contract. If it adds up to no more than buying the Mobley outright, why not go on contract. If it's still a workable solution 2 years later, you're ahead of the game. I went on contract with our HomeBase plan for exactly that reason. The direct buy price is $199, and the early termination fee is $150. Add the contract $45 activation fee to that, and the prices are about the same either way, but much less if the plan works well for 2 years and beyond.

True, that makes a lot of since,,,,, darn it I should have gotten it under contract!

I'll check all that out.

Another question: Is the OBDII always "hot"?

I plan to put it into our MH and use that rather than the phone as a hot spot.

I'll check all that out.

Another question: Is the OBDII always "hot"?

I plan to put it into our MH and use that rather than the phone as a hot spot.

Yes , as long as the chassis battery is connected . I don't know how much the Mobley will draw , current wise .

Edited by Pat & Pete

Yes , as long as the chassis battery is connected . I don't know how much the Mobley will draw , current wise .

You can purchase ac power supplies on ebay and amazon, also good news starting today the standalone plan is only $20, yes $20! My account already updated and so has many others!

That shouldn't be a problem. All batteries are charged, both house and chassis when plugged in or using generator (at least according to the documentation).

I just chatted with ATT and told the $20 plan wasn't available until tomorrow, though it is on the website now. I'll order it tomorrow and an AC adapter on Amazon.

This is also good in MX and CN(if you can get service).

You can purchase ac power supplies on ebay and amazon, also good news starting today the standalone plan is only $20, yes $20! My account already updated and so has many others!

What are they called? I can't find any pre-made OBDii Power supplies/ powered sockets. I found the OBDii pin-out schematic and probably could wire up one myself but a pre-made unit is easier.

I was just told by AT&T that the only way to get $20.00 a month unlimited data with the Mobley is if you already have an account with AT&T and have at least 2 smart phones. Otherwise $20.00 a month buys you 1GB of data. Chuck

Here it i from the ATT site.

2AT&T Connected Car Unlimited Plan: U.S. only. Consumer and Individual Responsibility Users only. Eligibility: Requires eligible vehicle, eligible aftermarket device and new or existing AT&T wireless account. Data Restrictions: After 22GB of data usage on vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot in a bill cycle, for the rest of the cycle AT&T may slow data speeds on vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot during periods of network congestion. Pricing: $20 per aftermarket device monthly plan charge (3 aftermarket devices on plan results in $60 monthly plan charge). Devices: Sold separately. Limits: 3 aftermarket devices per plan. Hotspot: Connects up to 5 Wi-Fi capable devices per vehicle hotspot. Devices connected to vehicle’s hotspot use data from your plan. Once a device connects, it will automatically reconnect and use data from your plan unless hotspot is removed from returning device settings or hotspot password is changed. Performance varies based on number of devices connected and other factors. Video Streaming: Plan includes Stream Saver, which allows you to save data by streaming higher definition video at Standard Definition quality (about 480p). AT&T will activate it. Check your account online to see if active. You may then turn it off or back on at any time at att.com/myatt. Stream saver will not recognize all video content. Ability to stream & video resolution vary, and are affected by other factors. Restrictions apply. See att.com/streamsaver for details. International: Wi-Fi hotspot functionality not available outside of U.S. General Wireless Service Terms: Subject to Wireless Customer Agreement (see att.com/wca). Services are not for resale. Credit approval and deposit may apply. Other Monthly Charges per Line: May include taxes, fed. & state universal svc. charges, Reg. Cost Recovery Charge (up to $1.25), gross receipts surcharge, Admin. Fee, & certain gov’t assessments which are not gov’t req’d charges. Pricing, promotions & terms subject to change & may be modified or terminated at any time without notice. Coverage & svc. not avail. everywhere. You get an off-net (roaming) usage allowance for each vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot. If you exceed the allowance, your svc(s) may be restricted or terminated. Other restr’s apply & may result in svc termination.

I realize what is says, I read that too. But if you try and buy the plan on the website, it will only offer 1GB per month for $20.00 and with the Mobley device. So I contact customer service via the website and was told the same as I posted above. The only way to get $20.00 a month unlimited data with the Mobley is if you already have an account with AT&T and have at least 2 smart phones. Otherwise $20.00 a month buys you 1GB of data. I argued that the website says differently and was told, well, that's wrong. So if anyone that does not have an AT&T account and has this unlimited service for $20.00 per month, not just referring to the website, etc., please let me know how you were able to do it. the terminology, "new or existing AT&T wireless account", is the requirement of setting up an account with 2 smart phones. Thanks. Chuck

Edited by chuckbear