North to Canada - Insight appreciated.

Nomad Hiker

Hi Folks,

In July, we plan to head from Ohio into Canada around Montreal/Toronto. Can anyone offer any insight to good hiking & camping in that area. We would like to stay about a month. Thanks.

Happy Trails,

Jim & Ginger/Nomad Hikers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

VanLeigh Vilano/Ford F350

Blog site - https://www.trailer2trail.com/

Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=trailer2trail

It has been a few years since we were last up that way, so I don't have advice on where to stay but with your going up from Ohio I strongly suggest that you put Ottawa on your travel plans as well since it wouldn't be a great deal out of your way. Ottawa is the Canadian capital and has all of the usual attractions of any national capital, but in a far smaller city. They have a fascinating international marketplace that isn't to be missed! I would also suggest continuing on up to Quebec City as that is the only walled city ever built on the North American Continent.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Quebec is a French speaking city and can be frustrating when communicating, unless you know French. Been there a couple of times, but not the friendliest city, don't expect long conversations with locals. The water front and the fort is a neat area.

Toronto is a busy congested multicultural city, parking can be a issue. Get a good city map, and be prepared to get lost or turned around.

Both cities can be a good experience, surprisingly different than USA. This is based on my experience, others may have had a different experience.

With the current exchange rate 30% to your favor you will still find most things expensive, especially food/fuel. Gas/diesel running $1.00/liter cn. A 6" subway sub was still $8.07 on debit card, no fees, (they wanted $11US with no discount), in August 2016, Soo Ontario. Use debit/credit card for latest rate discount, some places won't give any rate discount for cash (Subway).

I used to run truck deliveries from Mich into Ontario/Toronto 5 years ago, I never could find a reasonable place to eat, and fuel no way. Even with the better rate, it's still expensive.

Greg

Sault Ste Marie and around Lake Superior.

Also Algonquin park about 3 hrs north of Toronto there is an abundance of trails in Algonquin park. It is massive and all mapped out for all levels and lengths.

In Sault Ste Marie there is the Soo Locks tour, Agawa Canyon train tour, Canadian Bush plane heritage Centre , hiking

Probley some of the best hiking is around Lake Superior and the parks.

If your in Quebec there is Quebec City and they do speak English there as it's a tourism city. Well worth seeing. The rest of Quebec is less English for sure. But most manage just fine. It's a great area to see.

Note with the exchange rates in the USD favor your costs will be around 26-30% savings.

Things are more as a rule but mostly the fuel. With exchange rate and using USD it's around $3.08 per US gal for reg gas.

Food prices in CND $ is actually cheaper in most cases. With the USD you get a bargain. Booze and smokes are a lot more though.

RV parks can be close to same when USD is converted. Maybe a bit more.

Have s great trip

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Hi there Nomad Hikers,

When do you plan on coming to Ontario? 2017 is Canada's 150th anniversary, so across the country various communities will be having celebrations and events at various times of the year. There is a Wikipedia page with some details @ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/150th_anniversary_of_Canada.

That might help you decide where to go. Because of the 150th anniversary events, some locations might be booked well in advance.

We are from the Ottawa area (in Florida right now) and agree with other comments that food prices seem to be somewhat lower in Canada, fuel prices higher.

Have a terrific trip and welcome to Canada!

Pat & Mike

It has been a few years since we were last up that way, so I don't have advice on where to stay but with your going up from Ohio I strongly suggest that you put Ottawa on your travel plans as well since it wouldn't be a great deal out of your way. Ottawa is the Canadian capital and has all of the usual attractions of any national capital, but in a far smaller city. They have a fascinating international marketplace that isn't to be missed! I would also suggest continuing on up to Quebec City as that is the only walled city ever built on the North American Continent.

Good to know

Hi there Nomad Hikers,

When do you plan on coming to Ontario? 2017 is Canada's 150th anniversary, so across the country various communities will be having celebrations and events at various times of the year. There is a Wikipedia page with some details @ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/150th_anniversary_of_Canada.

That might help you decide where to go. Because of the 150th anniversary events, some locations might be booked well in advance.

We are from the Ottawa area (in Florida right now) and agree with other comments that food prices seem to be somewhat lower in Canada, fuel prices higher.

Have a terrific trip and welcome to Canada!

Pat & Mike

We will be there from around 7/8- whenever. Probably a couple months at least. Will head down east coast in fall. Need to be back in the midwest for holidays with kids. I knew Canada was having a big blow-out for their celebration, but didn't know exactly when. Will check out that link.

Yeah- when you hear banjo music, hike FAST

Ok, what does that mean????? Yikes! Ya got me sceeered, now!

Happy Trails,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

You might check out their "Canada 150" free parks pass they are offering for 2017. Free admission (not including camping fees) to a couple of dozen national parks, urban parks and historical sites in the Ontario area.

Have already ordered the park passes! ;)

Happy Trails,

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

Ok, what does that mean????? Yikes! Ya got me sceeered, now!

The banjo comment comes from the movie, Deliverance, the origin of the song "Dueling Banjos" and references being very deep in Redneck country. You kind of need to see that movie for it to make sense.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We used to dive near Penetanguishing a couple of hours north of Toronto. I think the town itself is pretty quiet, but there might be some sort of hiking around the shore of Georgian bay. (Half of Lake Huron) It's very beautiful and some areas are remote and might be hard to access by land.

On the other side of the bay, many miles from Toronto, the Bruce peninsula has a well developed trail or system of trails. They may start around Goderich and go all the way north to tobermory.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Tour the Gaspe Pennisula CCW to keep the ocean on your right side. About 4-5 days. Then slide south through New Brunswick. Possibly tour Nova Scotia. Enter Maine through Calais then Campobello Island from Lubec. South along the coast stopping at Pembroke for the reversing falls. Bar Harbor and Acadia NP. Next on to Camden with its beautiful harbor. Look for the Maine Fair schedule to catch a true country fair. Freyburg fair is the first week of October, ending Columbus Day. This should be about maximum color or maybe just after the peak.

You could then move west across New Hampshire, Vermont and into upstate New York into the St Lawrence Seaway area. Then along the lake towards Buffalo and into Ohio, via the bit pf PA.

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Archived