Cummins ISL

SuiteSuccess

Acquaintance is looking at a Winnebago Tour Class A motorhome with 8.9L Cummins ISL 450 hp mated with Allison 3000 MH transmission 6 speed automatic. I know nothing about these engines so opinions please?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Look out for certain serial number in 05-06. They had some issues with a rod bolt or two letting go. (Google should privide the range of SN's to look out for) There was a recall if I remember correctly. Overall, I like them and would prefer a Common Rail version to the earlier CAPS. CAPS fuel system can be a little pricey to work on in my opinion. Just my 2 cents. JM

Look out for certain serial number in 05-06. They had some issues with a rod bolt or two letting go. (Google should privide the range of SN's to look out for) There was a recall if I remember correctly. Overall, I like them and would prefer a Common Rail version to the earlier CAPS. CAPS fuel system can be a little pricey to work on in my opinion. Just my 2 cents. JM

This is a 2014 so I assume common rail?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5627/22768860229_486343c48a_b.jpg

Where I work we have a fleet of these buses (in varying paint schemes) all with ISLs in them. This particular version is set at 380 hp, and they scoot! With the exception of about 29 of the oldest buses in the fleet, everything we run is an ISL. The problem issues vary from one installation to another. On one series (40 ft. Gillig Phantoms) they have water pump failures. On another (60 ft. New Flyer articulated coaches) it's the DPF doser injector failing in the emissions system that creates headaches. In another (one set of the older double deckers like this one) it's a particular coolant hose that fails and leaves the bus dead in the water. The engines themselves seem to run just fine. The problems seem to be the peripheral systems.

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

IMHO an 8.9L engine with 450HP isn't going to have the same torque performance as the larger-displacement engines. 450HP is no joke, but the lack of torque means the trailer pulling performance and outright acceleration with or without a trailer etc. will be diminished.

IMHO an 8.9L engine with 450HP isn't going to have the same torque performance as the larger-displacement engines. 450HP is no joke, but the lack of torque means the trailer pulling performance and outright acceleration with or without a trailer etc. will be diminished.

This is in a coach.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I wouldn't have anything else in a coach. If that helps. I was just pointing out some known issues with the early ones. I am not a fan of the emissions system issues and they would be removed once they started giving me problems. My last coach had the smaller 8.3 Cummins and it pulled and drove excellent at 350HP. 450HP should be plenty.

Some of us are old enough to remember when a 270 Cummins was Big Stuff.

One of my first company driving job was 5 axle 80k loads with a Western Star Cummins "Formula 270" 9 spd. High torque rise. Then a Formula 290. Big Stuff.

Then really Big Stuff... a W900 with a tuned up Cummins 350 13 spd hauling 7 axles 120K - by tuned I mean 1200 EGT leaving a stop light at easy throttle :)

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Some of us are old enough to remember when a 270 Cummins was Big Stuff.

Ah man......"Grumps" got out the kid slave whip and made us kids yank out the ancient 185 cumminzz and shoehorn in a sorta-fresh 220 cumminz and change at least 50 U-joints in all of the way too many drivelines to all of the various PTO winches and hyd pumps and front drive axle and main box to browine to front driver to rear driver to the rear PTO drive off the rear driver of the OLD Oshkosh 6X6 Service Beast.

Now with 40 gears fwd and only 8 rev I spent more time between gears than in gears and on a given day sometimes I would get up to 15 to 26 before I would lose track....thanks to that HUGE 220 HP I could sometimes skip a gear and hope Grumps would not catch me......

Bad juju was when I would miss a main and brownie shift at the same time and then the inter--tranny-driveline would coast down and then I was screwed and then the HUGE 220 HP was no help at all.

Grumps would catch me in no--gear-to-be-had sometimes and he would shake his head and he "say shucks if you had a truck with 400 HP and only TEN gears you could still screw up some shifts"..........Fast forward to today........once in a while I prove Grumps right....... have only 370 HP and ten speeds and.......oh shucks forgot to flip the toggle down at the stop light.........

We had a 6,000 HP Tug with only one gear.......seldom missed a shift.....

Drive on..........( lets see am I in 27th or........33rd gear?)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Yeah, it's embarrassing when i forget to go from 5th to 1st. I try to hit 3rd on the way down so its in the right range. But not always.

Let out clutch, trunk jumps, cuss, jam in clutch, try to remember to shift range while in gear instead of in neutral, jam back in first, and hope the traffic is still open for the left turn.

Almost as bad as starting out with parking brake set.

Not good, but not as bad as the lowboy that i followed for 10 miles through Houston with his trailer brakes releasing a cloud of smoke.

He didnt look over when i honked and waved through the sunroof several times. Oh well. I tried at least.

Sorry, way off topic, got sidetracked by Dollydragger. :-)

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

IMHO an 8.9L engine with 450HP isn't going to have the same torque performance as the larger-displacement engines.

That's a rather myopic statement. Transmission/torque converter, final drive ratio, and tire diameter will determine the total performance along with the engine performance.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Archived