Tiffin Factory updates guidelines for service at factory

Velos

I thought this was interesting that Tiffin Factory:

“Indeed, in an effort to focus on warranty service for coaches recently purchased, we have instated a program that enables coaches up to four years old, or in need of items covered under our 1/5/10-year limited warranty program, the ability to utilize our factory warranty center."

“With a lack of trained and reliable technicians at RV dealerships, this can have a real impact on owners of coaches over four years old.”

The Complete article here: http://rvdailyreport.com/industry/tiffin-responds-to-new-factory-service-policy/

I had just seen an interview with Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs) talking about his Works Foundation http://profoundlydisconnected.com/foundation/ and after reading the TIffin article my first thought was job opportunities for trained RV technicians.

As long as we drive cars, trucks, RV's etc there will always be a need for good technicians and a side incentive for this line of work most training is a lot less then 4 years of costly college.

Well Tiffin is really falling down on the job when it comes to providing trained tech's to their PNW dealers. Main dealer up here is Poulsbo RV and I personally would not take YOUR motor home to them for any repair. And I certainly will never take mine to them. I my opinion they are even possibly worse than Camping World. Just my .02

Should I decide to replace my MH I will certainly look for another brand.

Joe

Joe

The "Doghouse" 04 Tiffin Phaeton 40TGH

TOAD--2008 Dodge Dakota

I too am dismayed by this latest cut back in factory service at the Tiffin factory in Red Bay. Perhaps Mr. Tiffin will see the error in this policy and find a way to correct it. We have visited the Tiffin factory service center many times, receiving knowledgeable and cost effective service. While visiting Red Bay, we contribute to the local economy as well. We enjoy visiting Red Bay and are saddened at loosing this option, as our Phaeton is now approaching 7 years of age. Regarding the service at the Tiffin dealerships, we haven't yet found one that we could trust or indeed wanted our business if we hadn't purchased our home from them. Fortunately, we have found reliable independent service facilities who welcome our business. However, we still would covet being able to return to Red Bay for repairs necessitating OEM parts or the special knowledge of Tiffin products. I hope that Mr. Tifin will listen to the plea of his customers and change this new policy. As always, oRV

oRV

75065 Lifetime Member

2010 Phaeton 40 QTH

2014 Honda CR-V Toad

From the full article;

“The reality is that offering normal day-to-day service for older coaches here at Red Bay is not a practice that can be supported long term as our population of Tiffin Motorhomes in use increases,” said Patton. “Our coaches last longer than ever, and at the current low rate of attrition, we could easily have 90,000 to 100,000 units in use by 2025.”

Maybe Tiffin could add an "older coaches surcharge" and hire more people.

I don't understand why someone would think it is the motorhome manufacture's responsibility to provide trained technicians to RV dealers. There is very, very little in motorhomes that is unique to a brand.

I agree that getting competent repairs for your RV is difficult, however I don't see that as the manufacture's problem to solve.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

If the Tiffin repair facilities in Red Bay are more than busy enough to keep all the tech's working and employed w/o servicing rigs over 4 years old then they should prioritize their service for newer rigs.

If Tiffin was to build another service facility and hire all the tech's needed, what do they do with the facilities and workers during the slow periods? Do you expect Tiffin to just pay them to sit around? Or does Tiffin lay them off for a couple of months?

I strongly suspect that in Dec, Jan & Feb not a lot of MH owners want to be sitting in the cold waiting for service. Possible in July & Aug, the same can be said for the heat.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

I have yet to see a "Tiffin" dealer that is exclusively Tiffin. They all carry other brands. For example, the Tiffin Dealer in Albuquerque also carries Newmar and Forest River. So if the "Tiffin" dealer cannot fix a Tiffin, I doubt that they can fix whatever else that they carry either. The biggest problem that I see with dealers working on your coach is lack of parts. They cannot stock all parts for all coaches, so they must order the part from the factory, or wherever. The beauty of going to the factory for service for us Tiffin owners is that the parts warehouse is in the building with the techs. In addition, there are multiple independent shops in the Red Bay area with very capable techs who will make a reservation to fix your coach, and the parts supply is 10 minutes down the road. So you take your choice, go to a dealer, and wait for the part to be delivered, go to the plant and wait your turn to get into a bay, or make an appointment at an independent shop and get it done at the appointed time with little to no parts delay.

Also, if you read the entire new policy, any Tiffin coach, no matter the age, can come to the factory and get things done in an express bay which gives you 6 hours of service. If you have issues which would require one of the specialized bays, slide out removal for example, you can bring your coach to the service center no matter the age.

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot

Roscoe and Maggie - Rescue Beagles

"I asked God to send us a True Friend. He sent us a Beagle!"
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

There must be a reason that people have to keep returning for service.

In owning our Newmar for 8 years of full-timing we never had anything but regular maintenance to be done. That was easily performed while we were traveling. We made an appointment at a generic place in the direction of travel; arrived late afternoon and were always welcomed to stay at their facility and the work was done the next day. We were again welcomed to spend the night and leave fresh in the morning or just take off that day. I can't imagine having to return to the manufacturer so many times.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

With all these comments about finding good RV maintenance/repair shops around the country, it would seem a good idea to have a website where users could make comments about the various places which offers repairs. That way, when traveling in an area you are unfamiliar with you could quickly find a shop which offered good service. I realize, of course, a site such as this could also be used to give a negative response if the work wasn't done to the way you think it should have been, even though it was done the way it should be done. It is sad to realize it is hard to find adequate repair facilities.

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

How about this idea.... Don't buy an RV unless it is correct from the factory. I don't mean items that fail after a period of time, I mean units that come with broken slide-outs, missing pieces, items not installed properly. Until we quit saying stupid things like "it's been back several times, been in for warranty work for 5 months, but that's to be expected with a new rig" why should the factory, Tiffin or any other, care what we think. It's obvious to us, surely it is to them, that we consumers will buy anything that is hung before us, as long as there is a "warranty", even if we can't get anyone to handle that "warranty". I mean, if you had an item that was consistently broken, but you knew you could sell as many as you could make, would you spend profit money to get it corrected???? Ask Harley-Davidson how well it worked. After awhile, people quit buying Harley, the factory almost went broke, woke up and fixed the problem and now are the major motorcycle manufacturer in the world. It's our collective fault that the industry is the way it is, let's wake up and do something.....

Dr. Jeff Popa

HouselessNotHomeless

I support the "Thin Blue Line"

Archived