DVR for OTA TV

This is from DW.

Not sure this is the right forum for this so please feel free to move it.

I am looking for a DVR just for OTA TV, no subscription. I can't seem to figure out the right search terms so that is what I need help with. When I enter DVR for OTA I get a lot of subscription services and I don't want those.

I would like to record TV programs from OTA. That is all. A guide would be nice but not necessary. The only time I would use this is when I can't get my satellite to work(trees).

DH loves his TV and I find this is limiting our selection of campgrounds since I always need to find one where he can set up the satellite(we do have 100' for cable).

Thanks for any help.

I route my batwing through my Dish Network Hopper3 and when setting up in new area do a search for locals on the Hopper3. This gives me the locals with the ability to record on the DVR and the channels show up on the guide. I prefer this method as it does not require me calling or chatting Dish when we make a move out of spot beam and an added bonus is a $10 monthly deduction from bill for opting out of locals. Works for me.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

With DirecTV get a Genie receiver and record up to 5 channels at the same time. With it you can build up a lot of movies when they have those FREE weekends of the premium movie channels.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

I want to be able to record TV series when we are in trees and the sat. doesn't work.

That is what a ground tripod if for.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Here's a couple of units that will record OTA TV available from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-Homeworx-HW180STB-Converter-Recording/dp/B00IYETYX8/ref=sr_1_1?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1488454834&sr=1-1&keywords=homeworx

https://www.amazon.com/3500STBII-Multi-Function-Converter-Recording-Playback/dp/B00GOILYB6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488454990&sr=8-1&keywords=3500+stbii

I have older versions of these boxes. They each have a single tuner and with the addition of an external USB hard drive will record. The software is a bit quirky but once you figure it out they work fairly well. They pull in a program guide from the broadcast TV signal but the process is very slow. The video quality is excellent. There are no subscription fees such as Tivo.

Tom
—————————————————
2005 Born Free 24' Rear Bath
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

We use Tablo.

They have a 2 channel and 4 channel version.

Requires episode guide fee. Monthly/Yearly/Lifetime (We chose Lifetime)

And you would need a Roku (or other streaming device) to connect to TV and a portable hard drive.

Small - Easy - low power.

(And light for those of us who are RV weight conscious ;) )

Works great!

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Tivo ota doesn't have a subscription fee

No monthly subscription but you are basically paying for it in the purchase price.

Quote form TiVo: "Best of all, it’s now available without a monthly TiVo service fee. Pay once and the rest is all free-TV gravy".

"Free-TV gravy" ONLY costs $399.

The boxes mentioned cost less than $40 plus the cost of a hard drive "and the rest is all free-TV gravy".

Tom
—————————————————
Minneapolis, MN

Tivo is the same price as Channel Master, at least they are honest that it is gravy. Can I buy a box for $40 and get all the bells and whistles of the included software plus a 1 tb drive? Let me know where..........................

Tom,

We just trashed our Iview. The quality of its display of instructions was so poor they were unreadable. We just had to guess along until we found the correct button to hit. I wouldn't go near them again.

The other box is a converter box. We don't need that, all signals that we want are digital as is our TV. No longer any need to convert the digital to analog for us.

Thanks

Tivo is the same price as Channel Master, at least they are honest that it is gravy. Can I buy a box for $40 and get all the bells and whistles of the included software plus a 1 tb drive? Let me know where..........................

Obviously for about $100 there are no bells and whistles. TiVo is the better choice compared to Channel Master. The iView and HomeWorx would come in a distant 3rd. If price is not an issue go with TiVo.

Tom,

We just trashed our Iview. The quality of its display of instructions was so poor they were unreadable. We just had to guess along until we found the correct button to hit. I wouldn't go near them again.

The other box is a converter box. We don't need that, all signals that we want are digital as is our TV. No longer any need to convert the digital to analog for us.

Thanks

Both can be used as converter boxes and by adding a USB hard drive, they become a DVR. Both have High Def HDMI outputs. It sounds like you were using composite video out (yellow RCA connector). This would result in poor video The HDMI video out from either box is excellent.

Tom
—————————————————
Minneapolis, MN

I have no idea what we were using. We threw it out about a year ago but discovered we need something to record OTA when we are in trees. Now to make a decision. I like the Tivo, we have had a Tivo for 15-18 years and it keeps chugging along at home. We bought a lifetime subscription at the time. It would never work in the MH, needs a phone line, no wifi.

We don't hit the road again until Sept so I have plenty of time to make a decision.

OK. I put a price watch on the Channel Master and the Tivo so if the price drops I will get an email. We don't need it until our next trip so a month before or so we will make our decision(unless a very good price shows up).

Thanks everyone.

Archived