Directv receiver & Portable Dish

This question has probably been answered but I have either not found the discussion or just don't understand so, I'm hoping someone can dumb it down for me.

We have a Directv genie receiver at our home which we take with us when we travel to watch recorded movies or programs. We would like to get an automatic, portable dish that won't cost us a lot. So far, based on what I've read and been told, we would either have to purchase an expensive dish (>$ 1,000) or get a new receiver. Whatever type of dish we use, we want one that is not a hassle to set up and as automatic as possible and want it to be portable.

Here are my questions: Is it possible to convert the genie somehow so it will be able to use the less expensive dish? If so, how?

Next, if this can't be done, what type of receiver would we need to get so we could go with the less expensive portable satellite dish? And with that, where would be buy one? Directv told me we would have to go to a third party, any ideas?

Thanks for any information.

I guess maybe I'm just not understanding why a more expensive dish is going to make a difference. There's no reason any dish- one for DirecTV anyway- should not work. If you shop around, you can find those auto ones for around $500.00. We have the Genie at home, but just take the bedroom receiver with us when we camp. I have a portable dish that I manually sight in to the satellite; I've been doing it so long it takes me about 3 minutes to find the satellite. Again, I see no reason an inexpensive- relatively speaking- auto dish won't work.

2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

2014 RAM CTD 6.7 Tradesman 4WD Crew Cab Long Bed  😀

Honda eu2200i generators

Daisy May, the Golden Doodle Wonderdog

None of the portable dome type dishes will work with your Genie. You will either need to step up and buy a Trav'ler from Winegard if you want automatic or use a regular manual dish (like the one on your home) and set it up on a tripod when you want to use it.

You can get a different box from DirectTV and use it with a portable automatic dome, but you will be limited to standard definition programming only because domes can only receive SD programming from DTV.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

None of the portable dome type dishes will work with your Genie. You will either need to step up and buy a Trav'ler from Winegard if you want automatic or use a regular manual dish (like the one on your home) and set it up on a tripod when you want to use it.

With all due respect, this is not correct. Yes, the Genie is a SWM device, but most simple dishes and portables can be converted to SWM with little effort and expense. How to do the conversion is discussed here (even though the discussion is about Winegard products the concepts discussed will work with many other brands): http://www.winegard.com/help/images/d/d1/2452242.pdf

Yes, it is true that you will only receive SD signals with a portable dish but if that doesn't bother you then there is nothing standing in your way. There is no truth to the often stated "fact" that DirecTV HD receivers can't receive SD. Just understand that if your home system consists of a Genie and one or more mini's, you MUST take the Genie with you in the RV--the mini's can only work in the presence of a Genie.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

With all due respect, this is not correct. Yes, the Genie is a SWM device, but most simple dishes and portables can be converted to SWM with little effort and expense. How to do the conversion is discussed here (even though the discussion is about Winegard products the concepts discussed will work with many other brands): http://www.winegard.com/help/images/d/d1/2452242.pdf

Yes, it is true that you will only receive SD signals with a portable dish but if that doesn't bother you then there is nothing standing in your way. There is no truth to the often stated "fact" that DirecTV HD receivers can't receive SD. Just understand that if your home system consists of a Genie and one or more mini's, you MUST take the Genie with you in the RV--the mini's can only work in the presence of a Genie.

You are correct, I should have been more clear. What I meant by saying the genie would not work with a dome is that you would not get the full functionality of the genie with a dome. You would be limited to SD programming only and the dome would have to be converted and some domes may or may not support the conversion.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Another option is to get a Pay As You Go account with Dish for the RV. You can use a Pathway X2 Automatic dish (about $450 new or $200/$250 used) and a 211k or z (about $99 new or $50 used) and get HD programming. This only works with Dish and will not work with DirecTV. Dish has some programming for as little os $39.00 and you only have to pay for the time you are on the road, and no contract to sign.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Archived