Chaco Canyon

rogo

Would very much like to visit Chaco Canyon this year, but the logistics seem daunting and we're wondering what is the best way to do so.

It is remote, and access from north or south sounds difficult [we travel in a motorhome w/ toad]. I don't think the park accommodates motorhomes. SO...if you were to visit Chaco Canyon for a couple of days, what route would you take to get there, and where would you park your motorhome?

Best to just make it a day trip?

Thanks,

Ron

We drove our 29' Winnebago Class A into the park in Oct 2016. We entered from what they call the North entrance. It really is the the NE entrance. Follow the directions given on the NP website. The road branches off of US-550 a few miles south of Nageezi.

About motorhomes in the park, or campground, several of the campsites are long enough for 35' MH's. We had no problems fitting. There was another couple there in a 34' MH. There were a number of trailers from 20' to 30'-32' long. Do make reservations. Campsite #16 & 19 are excellent for large RV's.

BTW, on Google Earth you can get a street view of the campground to view the campsites at ground level. GPS for the CG: 36.037066 -107.889983

About a day trip..... If you just want to make a quick stop at the visitor center and take a quick look at the ruins then a day trip works fine.

On the other hand, if you have an interest in the park and like to do some day hiking to see more of the park and the ruins, then take your RV into the park and plan on spending 4 or 5 nights in the park. Plan to visit during the full moon and take the guided moonlight walk in one of the ruins.

It is a great park. We spent 4 nights and I hiked quite a bit every day.

For a day trip. You can stay in Bloomfield and have a 2 to 2.5 hour one way drive to get to the visitor center.

About driving an RV into the park. Plan on at least 1.5 hours to drive from US-550 to the campground. You will be driving a 5-10mph for the last 6 miles. Take it very slow and you will be fine. The first 6-7 miles are paved, the next 6-7 are on good gravel, a little bumpy, but no washboard and no pot holes. At least it was this way in Oct 2016.

One big caution, be sure the weather is dry. The last 6 miles turns to very slippery mud when wet.

For a recent discussion of the park on this forum, go here.

There are some pics there as well.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

There have been very recent post on this but I don't know how to tell you to find them but it is well worth it if you can. There is a campground in there and basically the road is bad and good. Good because it is not challenging as a basic road. The bad side is how wash boardy it is requireing you to go very slow. Also since most of it is not paved but mostly gravel/dirt it can be part subject to weather especially at a bridge crossing a low point normally dry stream bed. It is not real far from Bloomfield NM and I would suggest staying there at least a night or two and drive in with the toad at least the first time to get familiar with it. You can get locked in there due to weather affecting the road. It is not highly common but is possible. If you go early you can spend a good day there and that might be enough or you will know if you want to go back. While in that area there is a Nat'l. monument at Aztec which is a very short distance from Bloomfield. I liked Chaco but I went up to Mesa Verde just a few hours from Bloomfield and Farmington and I highly recommend that. It all paved with a campground also and well worth seeing.

Al florida beat me posting and I highly concur whole heartedly with his explanation

Archived