Changing from Class C to class A

ChuckD

I have had a Jayco Class C for about 12 years and it has started to have a few nickle and dime problems. (Usually more than nickle and dime). I am thinking of going to a Class A for quite a few reasons. Don't want a new one because of that big loss when it hits the curb ( I assume RV's have the same loss autos do). My class C is 31 foot and I would like a couple feet only more on a Class A. So talk to me. Tell me what I need to know and/or talk me out of it. LOL.

2005 Jayco Greyhawk 30 ft
2007 Honda CR-V Toad
Pauline and I

Blog: www.RVtravelsofPauline.blogspot.com

We had a 24ft class C to start and thought a 33ft class A would suit us just fine. After a year though we found we were not comfortable and ended up with a 41ft (tons of room and cargo capacity coupled with a oh so smooth ride).

So... Just like any RV hunter, first and foremost, find the floorplan you not just can live with but the one you really, really like. Chances are you'll find it in the range of 36 to 38ft for a class A diesel pusher and while that may sound like a big jump consider this: going just 5ft longer will usually get you amenities such as a larger bed, washer/dryer and some extra living space. I lean toward diesel for many reasons but to name a few: 1) straight up smoother, quieter ride 2) typically a more stable driving platform 3) mechanical longevity 4) cargo/towing capacity.

Score a test drive of a diesel pusher, I'm sure you'll agree.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

Thanks for the replies. I kind of shy away from diesel mostly because of the cost of repairs and I don't know anything about diesels. I know they have more power and that the fuel is just as handy anymore as gas but i have never had one and that is facing the unknown. For the size I want, gas has plenty of power and the size I want will also get me into places that something bigger won't go, such as some of the State parks and narrow roads boondocking, etc.

My Dear Bride is so sick of the little tiny refridge and the little bit of counter and we are so limited on weight and storage room. But we have (well, I have) for 12 years, her for 8. Washer and Dryer are not on the list of requirements

2007 Honda CR-V Toad
Pauline and I

What you really have to do to get a more accurate idea. is check out many different brands. as there Floor Plan varies an makes a huge difference from one another. I have a DP. Love it. DP may cost more if a breakdown, but it's got more power, an longer time frame for repairs. Getting back to Floor plans. i have looked prior to buying this one into a lot of them an some you couldn't pay me to buy it based on floor plan. I have a 36". I looked at a 40 monoco an i had more room than that one.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

While diesels do have some advantages, we owned two different gasoline powered class A's and were very happyp with both. The first was 3 years old when purchased and kept 8 years and the second was new and kept 14 years. No major repairs to the chassis were required on either of them and the most major item was when pack-rats destroyed the wires to the fuel pump. (that was the only time we were ever towed) We lived fulltime in the second one for nearly 12 years, put about 80k miles on it and would do the same if we could repeat the process. Our second was 36' and no slides but if buying today we would probably go a few feet shorter and at least one slide. Look carefully at the GVWR ratings and also at the cargo capacities of any you consider as not all such coaches are built equally. Some manufacturers will use the shortest chassis with lower GVWR with extensions on the rear of the frame rails to get bigger RV's on a short, lower cost chassis. The below information comes from the Ford website:

Power and strength for Class A motorhomes.

• Seven wheelbases: 158, 178, 190, 208, 228, 242 and 252 inches
  • GVWRs from 16,000 to 26,000 lbs.
  • 6.8L EFI Triton® V10
  • 6-speed TorqShift® automatic transmission with tow/haul mode

With a gas coach you need to be careful of the rear overhand as it means greater tail-swing in a turn, more tendency to drag through a dip, and poorer handling. A short wheelbase makes for smaller turning radius but bad handling in wind and weather. If you are not familiar with it, educate yourself about wheelbase ratios. (rear overhang to wheelbase)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

"Some manufacturers will use the shortest chassis with lower GVWR with extensions on the rear of the frame rails to get bigger RV's on a short, lower cost chassis."

Kirk

How will or how can I avoid the problems from the quote from your reply?

Thanks

2007 Honda CR-V Toad
Pauline and I

I don't know where you're located, but if I were anywhere near Houston, I'd go to PPL and try a bunch of different ones. I've had motorhomes since 1977 & I've not (that I can remember anyway) ever heard a diesel pusher owner say he wished he had a similar gasser. I have heard several gasser owners, myself included, comment that they wish they a diesel. If you drive it, it's gotta be diesel, if you park it, it matters not, and a gasser gives more value in that case. Just something to think about.

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

How will or how can I avoid the problems from the quote from your reply?

The key is in watching that wheelbase ratio. Pretty much all of the builders on gas chassis extend the frame rails to some extent. The key is to make sure that you get a quality RV which has a reasonable amount of rear overhang. Extending the frame rails is not a bad practice when done properly but extending too much is. I would bet that your class C also had at least some extension of the frame rails as nearly all of them do. It should be pretty easy to determine what chassis your proposed RV has as there will be a label inside that lists the data and if you do a search on the VIN you can get the data that way. A tape measure will tell you pretty close. If you know the length of the RV, measure the distance from the rear axle to the rear bumper and compare that to the distance between the front and rear axles. If the total length of the coach is 35' then it should have a wheelbase of at least half of that, or 17.5'(210") From the Ford, F53 webpage:

• Seven wheelbases: 158, 178, 190, 208, 228, 242 and 252 inches

Two of us are very comfortable in a 36'( living rm and bedroom slides) and have most of the bells and whistles. Leveling jacks (not all have them) 10 gallon water heater, full-size shower, most would be plumbed for or have a washer/dryer, a walk around bed and lots of storage both in and out. If you spend time in the really hot areas in summer you would also want dual A/C. We have only had them both running a handful of times as 1 is usually more than enough, but we appreciated that 2nd one a few times. With this size, you usually have a little more kitchen counter space and cupboards, sometimes a pantry.

Pat DeJong

Thank you all for the replies. I am planning on a 35 or 36 foot Jayco Precept. It has a great rep (as all Jayco's do) and My Dear Bride loves the floorplan. One problem is the oldest is only 2014, which means my plan to pay cash, well, it may take a while.

2007 Honda CR-V Toad
Pauline and I

Well, I have learned a bunch since the first post. Sadly I have learned my RV is not worth as much as I thought, regardless of all my improvements. Next I found the RV's I like, the Jayco Precepts. And I won't be upgrading until we can pay cash. I don't want to leave My Dear Bride a big bill if I should wake up on the wrong side of the grass. So it may be a while, if ever. Thanks for all the replies. :):rolleyes:

2007 Honda CR-V Toad
Pauline and I

• 2 weeks later...

My Dear Bride has come up with the idea we should update (upgrade) our 2005 Class C to a class A a few years newer so we won't have to save so much cash so soon.  Then a couple (or more) years later up date (upgrade) to a newer one again.  I am not so sure of this idea, just a feeling.  We like the Jayco Class A but they still new (and expensive).  Anyone really happy with their Class A's, not counting the high class and elegant.  I know of them  buuuutttt, you know how it is.   Any thoughts on this?

:huh::rolleyes::)

2007 Honda CR-V Toad
Pauline and I

1 hour ago, ChuckD said:

Anyone really happy with their Class A's, not counting the high class and elegant.  I know of them  buuuutttt, you know how it is.   Any thoughts on this?

We bought a 1998, gasoline powered, class A, when new and we then owned it for 14 years, 12 of them as our only home. I think that you could say that we were happy with it. We had intended to shop for one of the lower cost, diesel pusher class A rigs but discovered that to do so and leave debt free would have meant spending our entire house proceeds for the RV, knowing that it would loose value quickly over the years on the road. We then chose a gas powered coach very carefully to fit our budget and our needs. As we look back, there is very little that we would change, even if we could. We had 12 memorable years and relish the memories. 

Archived