mini split install

GlennWest

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Sweet. How much clearance do you have on condensor to back wall of coach? 

About 10 inch, enough to put my bicycle there without pedals.

Could be less also, minimum 5 inch.

Harold

Ready for more time going RV'ing.

• 3 months later...

You likely not going to find anyone to install a mini split in an RV. I did mine and used long enough lines that need additional freon. Several companies would not even consider it. Custom install on RV. Found an independent that would. He even commented positively on my install. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

My comment about an independent was for adding freon, not install. Finding someone to install it is unlikely. It is foreign territory to them and they don't want to be liable. You could hire someone to do the fabrication for the mounting of the outside unit. I did mine but I'm a welder by profession. The install is simple. Running the copper lines may be difficult depending where you mount the interior unit. At the rear, straight up wall would be easy. Mine in center of coach and that was a job 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

When I did my install I had a leak and needed a recharge. I bought the freon and proper tools and did it myself. Not hard and the tools were cheaper than hiring someone to do it. That is if I could find someone to do it. Just less hassle and now I have everything I need if future repairs are needed. I use a postal scale instead of a freon scale, much, much cheaper.

My bus build http:/somewhereinusa.x10.mx

10 hours ago, GlennWest said:

How did you get the freon? No one would sell to me without a license.

They still have the "1lb" cans at the auto parts stores. Not sure of the capacity of the Mini Splits, but I think the freon is all the same now. Someone correct me if I am wrong. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

14 hours ago, Mntom said:

There are many different "flavors" of refrigerants. Most older mini splits use R-22, most new mini splits use R-410A, automotive uses H-134A, and there are many more that are used in various devices. H-134A is the only one that can be purchased without being certified.

Thanks for the education.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Archived