mini split install

GlennWest

My thoughts also but 1/4" tube steel is heavy. 5.5# per foot. Side note, Teton sure has a robust chassis. My flanges are 1/4" thick at thinnest, and gets heavier in middle like I beam.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

idea, would using 120 wall DOM work? The round would be strong as the tube and less prone to vibration damage I would think. Less weight than 1/4" tube too. But I'm not an engineer, just hack fab.

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

• 2 weeks later...

Took off this weekend to get welding and catch up on install. Had to come out far enough to get 12" wall clearance. This is what Pioneer recommend. Have deflection, would cause vibration towing. Main beam connecting chassis is 2X2X1/4. So is all the frame. My question, is there any good wood generally behind rear cap? Area at license plate, at very bottom. Need to put a strap there and lag bolt to wood, if anything there. I could start drilling small holes but hoping some has been there.

t

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I decided against that. Can find no way to mount a interior unit in bedroom. Well actually I can but TV in that location and don't want to loose it. So only 1 unit so put it in the middle above license plate. There is what I thought to be very thing metal between rear cap and underneath area. Drill hole and tapped it with 1/4X20. Tightened it up real good and held. Surprised. Ticker than I thought it was. Will put a small piece of angle iron on each side and bolt to it. Was going to put a picture on here but it won't let me.

Glenn ...been following your thread here. Your install seems to be going along well. I feel the pain on the rear location for the condensing unit...these fifth wheels whip around pretty good at the rear and its a good thing you are mounting it solid. Unfortunately there arent many locations to choose from. Keep on keeping on...you will  get there.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

I have a 40 ' King of the Road 5th wheel. All aluminum superstructure on 3 7000lb Dexter Torqflex axles. I have found that at the rear of the RV there are a lot of "drop" forces created by coming off bridges and such that put a lot of vertical deflection forces on whatever is at the back of the RV.  I have strapped my PC case (vertical tower case) to the back wall for travel and found that these forces are enough to rip all my Hard drives out of the quick access holders inside of the case. I have 4 HDs in the PC + an SSD. The SSD was the only one that lacked the mass necessary to cause it to pull out of its mounts.

Just saying; Overbuilt mounting might be enough but don't underestimate the forces involved.

My RV rides exceptionally smoothly and I have had a glass of water left sitting on the kitchen counter still there and unspilled at our destination but the cantilever action on the things at the rear of the unit are serious.  I previously had a Steelcase lateral file sitting on the floor across the back and lashed to the wall but these vertical forces kept ripping the steel pendaflex hanging rods out of the folders due to the weight of the files in them.  Finally, I had to junk the lateral file because the welds in the rails in it were ripped apart and the drawers would no longer open and close. Steelcase filing cabinets are like tanks.

Good luck with this but keep a close eye on your mountings for early signs of distress.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

I will, but we see no such problems as you are posting. Which my Teton rear axle very close to rear. We tow with freightliner and have the et hitch also. I only have left, supporting lines, cut and flare, hook up. Connect wiring, it is run. Vac system and check for leaks. Will have to call heat/air tec to add some Freon. I can't buy it. Bummer. It came charged for up to 20' of line. I will have 40ish. Will post some pics on photo shop in a few days and supply link.

I have been bracing and scratching my head over this flexing I have with my mount. I added a simple piece of flat bar to the rear metal I referenced in an earlier post and it helped greatly. Still not satisfied. I would be solid until a hard bump now. If anyone else tries this use heavier steel. Possibly 2X4. Have been searching for a flex hose to use at unit. Can find complete flex hose but short jumper, not. .RotoFlex have a flex jumper but it is bend and form only. Not for a vibration type situation. Finding a lot of commercial flex hose but tubing size but same. Everything is done except this. I could put in service now but would have to address this problem before towing.

Ok, forget remark about 2X4. Doubled tube steel and still deflects. At my license plate location, it is half inch thick. Feels like wood maybe. Removed a screw and run mig wire in. Anyway it measures half inch. Considering bracing there. Lag screws, hollow door screws, etc? Plenty of area there for this. Also have option of long bit and drilling through to back side where 1/8 metal is. Your thoughts on this

Well, Lag screws don't feel too good. Going to put in hollow wall screws. It was solid though. Need to do a little more welding but coax got gummed up from the flux core wire. Gas and solid wire mostly that problem goes away. I don't like the idea of carrying around a bottle though. Buy gas, carry bottle or replace coax regularly. In the long run, the 110/220 Miller stick welder might not be as expensive at 2k.

Looks good so far. Hopefully not too much vibration on that.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

My original plans were about 7-8 inches out. Pioneer manual stated 12. I almost wished I had stayed with original idea. With all the extra bracing I did, you can't see all of it from photos, it is solid unless you really, like using your weight, pull down on it. Then little and stops quickly.

Yeah, I probably would have stuck to your original plan. It likely would have been enough.... but that is just a guess.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

I'm going to talk to some installers. Got to get one to add gas. If they feel sure it could be closer, it would not be a lot of work for me to shorten. Advantage to be a welder

• 3 weeks later...

Finished install today, at least my part. Got it very solid. Can move it barely and takes a lot of effort.Seems to cool fair but needs additional Freon.It is cooling better than the Demotic now. I do have an F3 error display though. Pioneer manual states open circuit or short at compressor discharge temperature sensor, T5. Now the communication cables color didn't match what was in manual.  So I connected 1 to 1, 2 to 2, 3 to3, ground to ground. Anyone know about this before I call a repair shop

Went to HighSeer web site..That is where I bought the unit. Clicked on library documents and found u2 link to F3 error. Took cover off and found sensor, plug. Unplugged and found bent pin. Straightened and it is fixed now. We have been with only 1 ac for a few months. Granted it has not gotten real hot here yet. We have seen upper 80's and it was sorta uncomfortable in here. Not real bad. Older unit has compressor fan failure and it is old and didn't want to spend money on it. Especially with my plans for this mini split.Well yesterday we saw 80ish and high  humidity and were very comfortable, actually got cold in here. This was with the mini split running only. And according to Pioneer website with this error it was in default mode only. Our bedroom was sorta warm and we will experiment with fans for additional circulation.  We turned on the fan only on the dometic and it helped with bedroom but it is noisy and want it to go away. I must say we are very optimistic. 

Glenn, your experience is what I would expect. I have one of the Mitsubishi mini-splits in a rental property (now sold) and it was amazing what it could do. You might want to put another unit in the bedroom. That is my plan - one in the bed, one in the living.

www.jackdanmayer.com

The outside unit, compressor, needs to pull air and discharge air. The fan doesn't turn very fast though. Mine isn't pulling a lot of air. Really believe I could have put mine closer to the back of unit. If where you put it, if it has good air supply to back of unit and open discharge to air, it should work fine. I highly recommend one. It is cold in here now. Our bedroom is comfortable but not cool.This is just 1 12k unit running on a 15 amp breaker.

Archived