AT&T offering home phone & internet rural plan 250 gbs $60 & 500 gbs for $100 a month.

chiefneon

Smitty, my order was one of the "backlogged" scheduled to ship by late March. I got it early and it works as it should. 250G plan, verified.  Livingston address. All is well, but where I am now the speeds are slow. Other places they were fine. I cannot determine if it is the tower, or if I'm throttled because I'm "out of area". I'm out of contract so I can junk it and go to a Mobley if I have to.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were at Myakka River State Park near Sarasota, FL for the past 2 weeks, and with our Max Amp on we were seeing AT&T speeds with our 250GB plan that ran around the 8-10 meg download and upload, but almost daily would drop to 1-3 meg at peak usage times in the late afternoon and early evening. I suspect we were seeing the effects of being deprioritized at those times. Without the Max Amp, speeds were slow all of the time, with frequent drop outs. Now we're at Little Manatee River State Park not for from Tampa with several small towns nearby, and so far our speeds have been holding a pretty steady 12-15 down and up throughout the day and evening. We've only used about 50GB so far, with 17 days to go, so the 250GB plan should work well for us with data to spare. When I get the new Mobley in hand and set up, we'll probably reserve that for when we want a more portable service, and with the first 22GB not prioritized, we can also use it when the 250GB plan slows down excessively.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Now that TX Spring Break is over we're running ~15Mbps this morning on our rural AT&T plan.  We are definitely "out of area" using a SD device in south TX and during spring break our speeds were about what Dutch reported.  But the good news is that regardless of the speeds I measured using a speed test site, I've not had any issues with respect to streaming HD video.  A couple of nights ago my WiFiRanger showed usage of ~5-6GB as we binged on one of our favorite shows.  Yet we didn't experience any "rebuffering" nor did I see any evidence of Netflix's dynamic resolution system reducing the resolution of my picture.  AFAIAC I can live with deprioritization as long as I can stream video.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Glad to hear the unit is working well for many of you. And Jack, glad your's went thru without a change of the plan. And that is the puzzling part to me, why ATT first canceled a plan (To our Livingston, TX address on the first order.). Then on the second order, to our Box Elder, SD address, they changed the plan to the 40GB Shared plan. 

With all of my talking with ATT on this, and other account changes, working my way up the CSR phone food chain to two I felt very savvy Retention Loyalist Rep's - neither of them could see any reason why the second order did not process properly as the Rural Line/250GB plan. They both said the zip code was authorized, and all of the things they looked up lined up properly. (Billing Address, Credit Address, Delivered To Mailing Address.) The second rep speculated that perhaps because I had the first order going to our Livingston, TX address that was canceled (And the Livingston address did not match our Billing and or Credit Box Elder address - and both assume this why it was canceled by ATT.) that the second order was kicked out by the computer for review, and that it was changed to the 40GB. 

I really felt for them both, as they both said they could see why I was not pleased with the lack of communication by ATT (Second rep actually said she was embarrassed about how this had gone down. She went to her Loyalist Manager to see if she could come up with anyway to get the plan changed back to the Rural Line/250GB. On hold on that exercise for 20 mins, so they both tried real hard to figure out away to do it.). 

Once the unit is back in stock to ATT (As of yesterday AM, they still had not received it from USPS after 9 days of 'in transit'. (Suspect it's in their receiving area for the last few days!). And I see that everything has been properly backed out billing wise - I will then follow up with a ATT Consumer Advocate. (Have my letter written an ready to email.) Both of our addresses are legal for the plan, and it is still and active plan - so I want ATT to explain to me why I am not allowed to obtain the program...

In the meantime, my Mobleyis 'Preparing to Ship', and once it has, I'll call the Mobley links phone number and get the planned changed over to the 22GB.. Should Wed or Thurs and this will be done... (Unit will be shipped to Box Elder, and I'll get it probably at the first of the next months with our regular mailing.)

I still will sign up for the Rural Line/250GB if I can get it... Then scale back our other phone plans on the data front. (Now at about $145-155 per month for two phones, and one Unite Explore, with 20GB Hotspot available Share with roll over. This months just ended, and next month we have 36GB available as Hotspot usage.) 

Really has been an interest few months around here, and other forums, what with the Rural Plan, Mobley, new ATT UDP Plus (Had that for three weeks, but last Loyalist Rep convinced me to go with the Share 20GB plan, as it qualifies for the wife's 20% discount, where as the UDP Plus does not (Which was not explained to me by any of the other rep's..). Toss in Verizon's new, but not so exciting, revised UDP - and it has been busy, busy keeping up with all of the moving pieces:)!

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Smitty, when the Mobley is on the way or in hand, make sure when you call in to make the change you refer to it as the Connected Car $20 unlimited plan, not the "22GB" plan. That only confuses them... ;)

Dutch

Yes Dutch - It did:)! Took a follow up call today to get it established 'I think' this time properly:)! Unit should catch up to us by sometime next week. Looking forward to getting familiar with it...

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

You'll be able to see if they got it right on your online account, Smitty. It'll still show the default iPhone 7s as the device, but that should change once you actually go online with the Mobley. Mine shows "unlimited" for the plan, and the $20 monthly fee in the details now.

Dutch

On the Mobley, check the shipping email. They changed my Mobley order to a Audiovox connected car device with no prior contact nor permission.  I just returned that incorrect device.  If your shipping email says Audiovox they have done the same to you.

Dan - SKP club member

Archived