Download and Upload speeds

dzwiss

In contemplating whether to switch to Verizon new unlimited plan I tried an experiment to test speeds on my jetpack, iPhone and iPad.

With my jetpack I get download speeds between 10 and 20 mbps and upload speeds just over 3 mbps. With my iPhone as a hotspot I get download speeds between 4 and 5 mbps and upload speeds around 2 mbps, and with my iPad I get download speeds between 3 and 6 and upload speeds about 1.5.

The jetpack seems far superior to the phone and tablet as a hotspot. If I go with the new plan and count on my phone and tablet for internet after my 10 gigs on the jetpack I think I will be screwed. Shouldn't I be getting faster speeds with the phone and tablet?

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

I guess my question is: are download speeds of 5 to 6 mbps considered 4g speeds?

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

I guess my question is: are download speeds of 5 to 6 mbps considered 4g speeds?

It just depends on the tower and its load. In general that is not what I'd expect to see for 4G. And, in fact, your other devices may not be using a 4G "channel". And the Jetpack may.It depends on the age of your devices what frequencies they support.

Beyond that, you don't want the new plan, I suspect. Verizon has finally come out and said that a Jetpack gets ONLY 10 gig of data at 4G then it is 600 mbps. Not the "M". You think you are slow now? Wait until your Jetpackonly gives you snail speed. If the Jetpack got 22 gig on unlimited maybe I could tolerate it....but not 10.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Hope this clear's things up for ya an helps ya out.

4G LTE vs. cable
Verizon 4G LTE wireless broadband is 10 times faster than 3G—able to handle download speeds between 5 and 12 Mbps (Megabits per second) and upload speeds between 2 and 5 Mbps, with peak download speeds approaching 50 Mbps. Cable speeds vary, but 4 to 12 Mbps are common.

What does megabits per second mean to you? The bit rate plays an important part in the quality of movies and videos. As download rates approach 5 Mbps, you will experience fewer pauses while your HD video streams. If you and your neighbors have cable, you’re all sharing the same lines. During peak Internet times, your speeds may slow down. The same slowdown may occur when you upload (transfer) or download large files, stream music and more.

First, the basics: The “G” stands for generation, meaning 4G is the most current generation of cell phone network coverage and speeds. 3G technology created ...

3G, as offered by most networks, is the slowest speed you’ll usually be browsing on. It has a typical real world download speed of 3Mbps and a theoretical maximum download speed of 7.2Mbps. If you want to steam a video via 3G from YouTube for example you could be waiting up to ten seconds for it to load. While downloading a 500MB file can take around 22 minutes, with larger apps, movies and albums taking far longer still.

Basic 3G‘s upload speed is a lot slower than its download speed, with typical speeds of 0.4Mbps and a theoretical limit of 2Mbps. In practice 3G is generally fine for web browsing and social networks, you’ll just have to wait a few seconds for pages to load. It would take 25 seconds to upload a 10MB file or image.

3G HSPA+ is an enhanced version of 3G, which for example Three uses for its Ultrafast service. It offers typical download speeds of 6Mbps and a theoretical maximum of 42Mbps . You can expect streaming videos to load in around 5 seconds and medium sized apps to download in one minute plus, whilst the same 500MB file mentioned above would take 11 minutes to download.

3G HSPA+ provides upload speeds of around 3Mbps and the theoretical maximum is around 22Mbps. A 10MB file or image would take just over 8 seconds to download.

4G (4G LTE) is the fastest speed that’s widely available in the UK right now. It offers typical download speeds of 14Mbps and theoretical ones of 150Mbps. So for example you could download a medium sized app in under 20 seconds or load a YouTube video in just 2 seconds. The same 500MB file should be downloadable in under 5 minutes.

4G boosts upload speeds to 8Mbps on average and 50Mbps at the very top end. The same 10MB file or image would take just 1.25 seconds to download.

4G LTE-Advanced is a faster version of 4G with typical real world download speeds of 42Mbps and theoretical limits of 300Mbps. EE has launched this service in London under the name 4G+, while Vodafone has rolled it out to London, Birmingham and Manchester. With LTE-Advanced (also known as 4G+, LTE-A or 4.5G) videos will load without a discernible pause and a 500MB file will download in under 2 minutes. In fact it’s even faster than many home broadband connections.

4G LTE-Advanced offers upload speeds of 30Mbps and can theoretically reach 150Mbps. In this case the same 10MB file or image would take just 0.33 seconds to download.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

• 4 months later...
On 2/16/2017 at 2:00 PM, dzwiss said:

The jetpack seems far superior to the phone and tablet as a hotspot. If I go with the new plan and count on my phone and tablet for internet after my 10 gigs on the jetpack I think I will be screwed. Shouldn't I be getting faster speeds with the phone and tablet?

The Jetpack has no overhead. It should always be faster. 

Don;t sweat "the 10 gigs". Everybody overreacts to that. The only time you might see any speed loss is when you are on a tower at 100% capacity. Then you get deprioritized, not throttled, deprioritized. Throttled would intimate that after your threshold, EVERYTHING you do is slowed down, and that is simply not the case. I have been at sporting events in a stadium that holds 80,000 and have never seen a speed issue no matter how many gigs I have already used. All about tower capacity.

7 minutes ago, eddie1261 said:

The Jetpack has no overhead. It should always be faster. 

Don;t sweat "the 10 gigs". Everybody overreacts to that. The only time you might see any speed loss is when you are on a tower at 100% capacity. Then you get deprioritized, not throttled, deprioritized. Throttled would intimate that after your threshold, EVERYTHING you do is slowed down, and that is simply not the case. I have been at sporting events in a stadium that holds 80,000 and have never seen a speed issue no matter how many gigs I have already used. All about tower capacity.

That is not true for hotspot use on Verizon on the new unlimited plan. You are definitely throttled at 10gb per line on Verizon for hotspot use. The depioritization comes in at 22gb for on device usage. However since a jetpack can only hotspot, all you get is 10gb at LTE speeds, then it's limited to 600kbs for the rest of the billing period for that jetpack. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

2 minutes ago, BlueLghtning said:

You are definitely throttled at 10gb per line on Verizon for hotspot use

We may not be talking about the same thing. When I said "overhead" I meant what is running in the background of the phone (apps like email that are polling for new mail, Facebook polling for updates, etc...) affecting the test performance, not the 10gb Jetpack limit. I get what you are saying about the 10gb limit and the reduction to 600kbps beyind that. This is exactly why my life on the road will find me in a LOT of Walmart and Lowes parking lots, to avoid using data all that much. With no friends, I never get phone calls...  LOL! If I can watch TV on wifi, that will be key. 

I didn't mean to quote the overhead part and I agree with you on that. The phone definitely has more overhead. 

Okay your post seemed like you were saying you don't get throttled at 10gb, but I think I follow what you are saying. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Archived