Bait & Switch or Are They Really Too Busy?

Kevin H

A note for anyone contemplating a purchase from "Marine Warehouse". The prices on their web site for the Dikinson Mediterranean stove is not the one you will be charged. (http://www.marinewarehouse.net/dickinson.html).

The site shows the Mediterranean stove at $1400. but the final price will be $1450.00. I called them about the discrepancy and was told that they know about the wrong price but they are "so busy they cannot get it changed". They said it will be a few months before they can get to it. This was around Jan 19. Today, Feb 15, the site has not been changed.

My initial confirmation order showed $1400.00. When I called MW they would not honor that amount.

They offered to cancel the order but because it still was the best price I found, I continued with it. Trust me, if I had found any price even close I would have cancelled.

The stove arrived with the box pretty beat up. Upon inspection, it appears to be fine.

So, if you order anything from Marine Warehouse, beware that you may be billed for more than what is depicted on their web site or what is on the initial invoice. They are "too busy" to get the prices corrected.

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

I agree. These types of people are not your friend. Hope you don't have any future service problems with them as their colors have been shown.

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

Not all businesses are up to speed when it comes to internet sales. If they primarily deal with walk-in traffic, manufacturer's or local contractors then it is likely their website may not necessarily be kept up to date. Especially if they rely on an out of house third party to maintain their website.

When they say they are "too busy", it's likely they aren't really referring to updating the price increase on a single item. Most companies don't do "piecemeal" price changes one at a time but rather site wide updates at regular intervals. It's too confusing trying to keep track of what's been updated and what hasn't.

If they don't already, they "should" have a disclaimer that prices are subject to change.. and they really "should" have contacted you prior to charging your card, but I highly doubt this is a case of bait and switch.

Some key things to look at when purchasing from online sources.. site copyright dates (is the site actively updated?), use of toll-free numbers (without might indicate their business is more locally driven), page publish dates (posted, or by viewing a pages source code).

In this case.. the last copyright update was in 2014, they use only a local phone number, and price sheets have a publish date of "Published: 03/28/16"... in red... at the bottom of the page.

These should have been red flags to make phone contact to ensure... first of all... that they are still in business, still offer the product, and that the published price is current. Just because there is an active website and payment option available doesn't ensure the company is still even in business.

Only a $50 price increase in nearly a year... sounds like a deal. ;) Glad it all worked out in the end. That there's a nice little stove!

Information that may help someone.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Dealers, of any sort, are not your friends. They will take every bit they can using every trick in the book. Buy an RV from a dealer and pay "document" fee. Ours wanted $350. I headed for the door and they deleted it. Or buy an item that fits in an envelope and they charge $10 for "shipping and processing". But, they know we are over a barrel and most of us will just eat the price and go on. Perhaps if we all started to let them know we won't put up with it, they would change. After all, we are the largest growing group out there, us "RETIRED BOOMERS"

I support the "Thin Blue Line"

apopj, on 20 Feb 2017 - 07:24 AM, said:

Dealers, of any sort, are not your friends. They will take every bit they can using every trick in the book. Buy an RV from a dealer and pay "document" fee. Ours wanted $350. I headed for the door and they deleted it. Or buy an item that fits in an envelope and they charge $10 for "shipping and processing". But, they know we are over a barrel and most of us will just eat the price and go on. Perhaps if we all started to let them know we won't put up with it, they would change. After all, we are the largest growing group out there, us "RETIRED BOOMERS"

I agree. People who pay unnecessarily for the above described items and others not mentioned, have no one to blame but themselves. <_<

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

Archived