Floridian buying a car in TX, CatMax says no

Fhkw9DPJ8V1g

We are domiciled in FL but only return once a year. We are currently in TX and we have found a car that we would like to buy and register in FL. CarMax is telling us that we would need to drive the car back to FL in order to register it and obtain FL tags.

I was thinking we would buy the car and drive it on temporary tags until FL was able to mail out tags to the dealer. We will be here in TX until May.

We would also pay FL taxes through the dealer.

This seems like something that others must have experience with.

We won't be returning to FL until early 2018. We also have no intention of using Livingston as a registration address.

Thanks in advance.

Do you already have a Fl tag that can be transferred? Even old unused tags that are inactive in the DMV system can be used/reactivated.

Can't speak for Tx but I am domiciled in Fl and bought both a truck and TT in Az. The truck dealer used a third party vendor to take care of the tag transfer and I had a temp Az tag to use until the registration was updated on the Fl tag that I transferred. The TT dealer didn't have a clue but after I suggested a title company in Fl whose primary business is tag and title work, they were able to make it happen, and I used an Az temp tag for that as well until the TT registration was transferred to the new TT.

Tax depends on whether there is a mutual agreement between states. Fl allowed Az to collect the tax and Az does the same for Fl. You might have to check with Tx DMV to see if they participate.

All this has to do with tag transfers; if you never had a Fl tag at all then I have no idea how that would work. You could call any Fl DMV office I guess, or the title company (Sunstate Title) and maybe they can give you the answers.

Reread your post; I think I read that you will be getting new tags, meaning brand new registration in Fl.

Ya just can't RV without a hitch.....!

It may be something to do with FL laws/regs. We just bought a car at a Ford dealer in Aransas Pass, TX and they told us they could license the car in our state of residence, KY, or in TX since we own property in TX. We elected to license in TX since we leave the car here in storage when we head back to KY for summer. We got the same advice at another Ford dealer in Corpus Christi while still shopping, Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

Only new never titled cars can be bought out of State and get tags mailed (also military exception if stationed out of State). Used vehicles must be inspected at the tax office before plates issued.

Don Kostyal

CMSgt, ret USAF

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Only new never titled cars can be bought out of State and get tags mailed (also military exception if stationed out of State). Used vehicles must be inspected at the tax office before plates issued.

It depends on the state as far as a "used vehicle must be inspected" if brought into state.

John

2017 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7 4.10 B&W hitch

2017 DRV MS 36RSSB3

I just talked to Sumter County tax collector's office in FL. They said that it's not a problem. The dealer just has some paperwork that they need to download and have us sign. They said the dealer can call and they will walk them through the process. Very helpful.

That's exactly what we did in Nov in TN new car then reg in FL. We had a 30day TN tag till we reg in FL. Have to pay FL tax in Fl. Also $225 tag fee for a new tag. And sticker too.

They knew what to do at the dealer they called and downloaded forms to sign.

Carmax are dead set in their ways on a lot of stufff that has nothing to do with legal req but their policies. We dealt with them once. Painful if a bit out of the routine.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Carmax are dead set in their ways on a lot of stufff that has nothing to do with legal req but their policies. We dealt with them once. Painful if a bit out of the routine.

We often forget that as customers we have the right to just walk away when companies insist that only their way is the correct way.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

You certainly can title and register it in Florida. Download the appropriate form from the Florida DMV website, fill it out, have the VIN verified by a law-enforcement officer and mail it in including a check for fees, taxes etc. The drawback is that you ma not have a valid temporary tag.

We too bought a car in Texas but having gone through that hoopla to title and register our Georgia-purchased MH in Florida we simply had the dealer title and register the car in Texas using the CG address and then transferred it to Florida when we returned. It was painless. BTW, if you have an unassigned tag you can avoid the tag fee even if you don't actually have the tag.

-C&J-

CG reviews & more - www.fugawetribe.com

I just talked to Sumter County tax collector's office in FL. They said that it's not a problem. The dealer just has some paperwork that they need to download and have us sign. They said the dealer can call and they will walk them through the process. Very helpful.

Amazing what a simple(?) phone call can achieve!

But - your 'dilemma' generated lots of useful info.....I guess.

The call was simple. We used to live in a big city where going to or calling the motor vehicle dept involved losing a day of your life.

With our domicile in Bushnell it is a pleasure to be able to call the tax collector's office and I was speaking to a live person immediately and I had a clear answer in under a minute.

An unseen benefit of Escapees.

Archived