Help! Bogart Solar Controller Overcharging

rbertalotto

I have three 140w panels on the roof with a Bogart SC-2030 charge controller and a Trimetric monitor.

Left the camper to go four wheeling and returned to see the batteries (Two group 31 AGM) charging at 17.5 volts!

I disconnected the solar panels and the house converter was working fine and charging at 13.5

Trimetric showed 100% charge

HELP!

Although this week I'm in a campground with shore power, all next week I'm in Phoenix boondocking. I need my solar!

I tried to call Bogart and an answering machine said they are not taking calls today and to leave an email and they will get back to me in 24 hours! Great customer service.....

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

Are you sure your batteries are actually charging at 17.5 volts? Or is that what your solar panels are supplying to the controller?

This is the voltage I'm reading on a couple of independent volt meters I have around the camper. My 12v televisions would not turn on as the voltage was too high.

UPDATE:

I disconnected the solar panels for 15 minutes and then reconnected. Everything went back to normal. Charge voltage at 13.7v. Not sure if this was because the sun was setting and the panels were simply outputting less. Tomorrow we'll see what happens.....

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

www.rvbprecision.com

I reprogrammed everything to Program #18 and everything seems to be working fine now.

Voltage went up to 14.5 and then leveled off at 13.4 and this is where it is staying.

One question...the temp reads 66.c What does this mean. It can't be 66 degrees centigrade, that is something like 155 degrees F. Batteries are not even warm. In fact, they are cool. About 50 degrees F.

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

www.rvbprecision.com

I reprogrammed everything to Program #18 and everything seems to be working fine now.

Just read this today and glad all is well. I would imagine it was the default "top off" charge setting. The 2030 is a little unique in that they have a bulk, absorption, float, AND "top off" charge cycle. An overvoltage to "push" just one last little bit of juice once the batteries actually "read" 100%. It can be set by a set voltage.. (I think it is something like 10-64v's) or as a percentage (100%-120%?)

One thing that is great about their controller is the complete user control-ability.

For your G31 AGM's, I might suggest tweaking your settings to 14.8 and 13.6-13.8 respectively. I wouldn't set the top off any higher than 15, but then again.. I don't know that I agree that it's necessary, or advisable to run a top off charge on AGM's.

I still need to figure out how to reset individual parameters. This might be a good system, but the instructions and how you modify the settings is very complicated. I agree with another poster, a nice LapTop user interface would be fantastic!

I'm going to leave it alone for now as I need this solar system next week when I'm off the grid for over a week. I'll mess with it more when I get home.

Thanks for all the input!

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

www.rvbprecision.com

Advanced user settings for individual settings is only available if you set your P7 setting to L3 or L4. Then you'll be able to set each individual value all the way down the line.

On edit: I should say.. the higher the level setting, the more values will be available to you for customization.

Archived