CDL or not?

Vegas Teacher

It will depend on your state, your state might have a non-CDL class A requirement to handle people driving HDT or large recreational/private non-commercial vehicles (Texas has this for example), or have other restrictions on what a standard license can drive (Minnesota, you can drive it if it is registered as an RV).

Otherwise, as long as you are not using your combination for commercial purposes, and your truck does not have a DOT number on it, then you do not need a Commercial Drivers License.

In the HDT Resource Guide, there is a section on this (http://hhrvresource.com/node/44), and Nevada looks like it requires a non-commercial Class A). I would check with your DMV regarding driving large RVs or large RV combinations to verify.

Dan & Bree

2010 Freightliner Cascadia 125, DD15, 455hp, UltraShift (Yetti, For Sale)

2015 Grand Design Reflection 308BHTS Travel Trailer (For Sale)

After being a Police Officer in NY for 30+ years, I was surprised to learn at last year's ECR, that NY had an "R" endorsement that could be added to the standard "D" driver's license. That "R" endorsement, along with an endorsement for Air Brakes, allow non-CDL operation of a HDT being used as an RV hauler. Perhaps the "R" endorsement is something NY made available since I retired five years ago. Other states might be updating their rules too. Do some digging re your state's rules. You might be pleasantly surprised!

Each state is different. I may get flamed for this but relying on a cop may lead you down the wrong path. It did me a few years ago. The way we use HDT's is not a popular and a well understood use. Many cops are not familar with these laws. I was also misled by the drivers license people. You need to read and understand the laws for your state. Finally, once you know these laws many suggest you carry copies with you as these may help you avoid a ticket and the need to defend yourself.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Each state is different. I may get flamed for this but relying on a cop may lead you down the wrong path. It did me a few years ago. The way we use HDT's is not a popular and a well understood use. Many cops are not familar with these laws. I was also misled by the drivers license people. You need to read and understand the laws for your state. Finally, once you know these laws many suggest you carry copies with you as these may help you avoid a ticket and the need to defend yourself.

Randy is not incorrect in his statement. While I am in law enforcement and am very familiar with the applicable laws in my state, this is only because I have a personal interest in it and I did the research on my own to find the correct answers. Most rank and file law enforcement do not know the proper licensing or registration requirements for set ups like ours. This is why many of us recommend finding the information within your state's codes and keeping that information with you in your HDT nicely organized in a binder that can be quickly referenced by a LEO on the side of the road if need be. Additionally, the people at the DMV (or whatever agency in your state handles registration and licensing) don't always know the correct answer either. The only way to get the correct answer is to find the applicable code section and go by that.

Whenever someone asks me about the applicable laws in CA I give them the answer, but then I also give them the vehicle code section that applies so they can decide for themselves and don't have to rely on just my word for the answer.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Yes it is good to check your states codes on CDL which is what the Resource Guide Page on CDLs has, http://hhrvresource.com/node/44

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I was surprised to learn at last year's ECR, that NY had an "R" endorsement that could be added to the standard "D" driver's license.

Unfortunately that "r" endorsement has no value for an HDT, and as Mark Bruss points out, you need to read the specific state's rules. The Resource Guide is often obsolete (and I know Mark tries hard to keep it up) because laws change too frequently to keep all the licence and registration rules up to date for all the variety of rigs.

https://dmv.ny.gov/commercial-drivers/elimination-non-cdl-class-c-license

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

State motor vehicle codes do not change that often. If you found a state code reference that has changed, please let me know.

Pretty hard for a HDT rig to be under 26,000 lbs.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Unfortunately that "r" endorsement has no value for an HDT, and as Mark Bruss points out, you need to read the specific state's rules. The Resource Guide is often obsolete (and I know Mark tries hard to keep it up) because laws change too frequently to keep all the licence and registration rules up to date for all the variety of rigs.

https://dmv.ny.gov/commercial-drivers/elimination-non-cdl-class-c-license

I wonder if my NY 'R" endorsement would work for an HDT registered as a motorhome. I don't need the endorsement for our current coach, but the DMV gave it to me when I dropped my CDL a couple of years ago since I had an equivalent endorsement.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Back to the original poster, in the link above to the Nevada Dept of Motor Vehicles, down towards the bottom of the page you will find the requirements for a RV license.

Non-Commercial Class A & B, Endorsement J

RV, boat and trailer owners need a Class A or B license to drive vehicles 26,000 pounds or heavier. An Endorsement J is needed to tow a vehicle over 10,000 GVWR. If the combination of the towing vehicle and the towed vehicle(s) exceed 26,000 pounds, a Class A license is required.

Additional written and skills tests are required. See the Non-Commercial Class A & B, J Endorsement Study Guide.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Archived