Help me Im Cold!

Other than the paranoia about leaving your gas furnace on over night! Is there an thoughts at to gas consumption in regard to leaving the furnace on at say 70* all night, having it cycle off and on, as apposed to getting up to a cool house and having it run for an hour or so to warm up the house? I am speaking about night time temps down to freezing!

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

When we have to use it, I leave ours on 68-70* as well. We have an electric fireplace as well. When possible and when on park electric, we run electric heat all night, so when do any different on gas? The only limiting concern would be if you are boondocking and don't have enough battery.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Have always left the heat set and never worried about it. Have been in below zero temps and the heater ran almost constantly.

Did you worry about your heater when you were in a S&B?

The only reason to shut off the heat at night is to save on propane. If you want to be cold then leave the heat off. If you want it in the 80's set the thermostat and forget it. Just be aware that you will use propane.

See you on the road!

I don't like a cold house so do like the others here. I do usually set the thermostat down about 5° at night then back in the morning.

I do always keep a working propane detector (tested with a butane unlighted lighter) and also a good CO alarm. Those are important safety items, just as a smoke detector is.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

It's true , these little furnaces are propane hogs . But , they work just fine .

We set the thermostat at 60° and put an extra blanket on the bed . I turn it up to 70° when I get up and it runs for a bit .

We NEVER leave an electric heater plugged in while we're asleep . DW has paid way to many claims when she was in the insurance biz .

Goes around , comes around .

I have found I like to sleep with the temp around 50 to 55, so I set the Tstat for that temp, but then its a little chilly when I get up. I've been thinking of installing a programmable Tstat like I have at the S&B so it would bump up the temp before I get up.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Since we boondock most of the time, and the furnace is a battery hog, we don't leave the heat on at night (I like to sleep cool, anyway...70 would be way too warm for me). I'm usually the first one out of bed, so I turn on the heat to about 68. It doesn't take long to heat up our rig.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I also love to sleep in the cold so we usually set it down to 55-60 and then I get up first and turn the furnace on. Heats the whole RV up very quickly. We also have one of those oil filled portable heaters that we roll around to different areas as needed during the daytime. This allows us to turn the furnace off during those times.

I always leave the furnace set to about 55 to make sure plumbing etc doesn't freeze, and don't worry too much about it anymore. Propane and smoke detectors are working and hopefully will do their job if there is a problem.

Recently invested in a heated mattress pad and it isone of the best investments I've made in quite a while! Stay nice and warm, and in the morning, crank up the furnace and crawl back in bed until things warm up a bit.

Ya just can't RV without a hitch.....!

We leave the heat off at night. We are good with sleeping under blankets and routinely get up in the morning with temps in the bedroom down to 45-50 degrees. I crank up the catalytic heater in the morning to warm up.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Archived