Should I be looking at a newer Truck?

Jmcgsd

I have a great 1991 F350 drw CC. It only has 80K original miles and has only been used for towing. It needs a bit of cosmetic work such as a paint job, but running great!

My dilemma is that I believe it's only capable of handling about 12.5K for towing. We recently purchased a new Couga 5'er and shied away from the heavier but nicer Montanas, etc because of the GVWC.

As we transition to full timers I'm concerned that the Cougar may be a relatively short term solution and eventually we may want a larger 5'er. So the question is: Should I put money into my current truck to make it prettier, or just bank it and plan to get a newer TV soon?

What's you thought? Thanks.

I think there are a number of factors that you should concider .

1) your age , will you be full time longer than your 91 will reasonably last with it pulling more.

sometimes when a vehicle sets and then is put into constant use it develops issues .

2) How long are you planning to full time? The Cougar may last as long as you need it too.

3) where do you plan to be traveling ... Mountains could be a challenge not the uphill side but the downhill as I doubt that the 91 has or can even be fitted with an E-brake without major rebuild of the transmission.

This is probably not everything that you need to consider but it is a start.. Bottom line if you have new truck fever nothing anyone says will help. .

I think there are a number of factors that you should concider .

1) your age , will you be full time longer than your 91 will reasonably last with it pulling more.

sometimes when a vehicle sets and then is put into constant use it develops issues .

2) How long are you planning to full time? The Cougar may last as long as you need it too.

3) where do you plan to be traveling ... Mountains could be a challenge not the uphill side but the downhill as I doubt that the 91 has or can even be fitted with an E-brake without major rebuild of the transmission.

This is probably not everything that you need to consider but it is a start.. Bottom line if you have new truck fever nothing anyone says will help. .

All good points, thanks.

The '91 has never really sat. It has just never been our primary vehicle. I purchased it in 2005 from a retired engineer (original owner) that used it to pull a fifth wheel. I first carried a Lance TC on it, then moved to a 7500# TT. So it's been continually used for RVing.

I'm an old fart, 73 as is my wife. The CURRENT plan is to FT for two years or so then probably buy a new modular home which we will either put on our own property or in a park somewhere. Those are extremely flexible plans however. The only part that is for certain is that we have CG hosting commitments for the next 12 months.

I really like the looks of the older pickups, so at the moment at least don't have new truck fever, but I know if I start to look seriously that could change in an instant.

If that F350 has a 7.3 motor I wouldn't be the least concerned. That was one of the very best diesel motors Ford ever built. I would do a bunch of maintenance items though. Coolant flush and hoses, belts, transmission service, change all of the fluids including flushing the brake system. Make certain you have the very best brand of brake pads also. To replace what you got will cost you upwards of 70K new. That good old Ford will do you just fine and I think you probably know that. We have a Lance. What model did you haul with it?

Gary & Penny

2015 Lance 1172

2005 Chevy 3500

2013 Bass Tracker 190 Pro Team

You've already answered your own question. Save the money and if you end up with enough to buy a newer truck and/or trailer you will be set.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

If that F350 has a 7.3 motor I wouldn't be the least concerned. That was one of the very best diesel motors Ford ever built. I would do a bunch of maintenance items though. Coolant flush and hoses, belts, transmission service, change all of the fluids including flushing the brake system. Make certain you have the very best brand of brake pads also. To replace what you got will cost you upwards of 70K new. That good old Ford will do you just fine and I think you probably know that. We have a Lance. What model did you haul with it?

One thing to consider about a 1991 Ford F350 DRW CC truck, it has a max towing capacity of 12,500 lbs. If he does want a heavier fiver, say around 15K or 16K, he will have issues. The engine might be fine but the other components are still 26 years old and can often break at the worst of times. If he does go to a heavier trailer to full time in, I would suggest a more modern tow vehicle to have a safer trip. At our ages, most of us prefer to meet our maker from natural causes, not mechanical ones.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

When you go full-time break downs are a problem. When doing short vacations, etc it is not such a big issue but when you are on the road for months or years at a time you don't want little things breaking down that cause you to put the truck in the shop. You still have the RV but not daily driver. Then what do you do? It sounds like you are already thinking the Cougar isn't going to cut it so you are in a quandary. The problem is going to be knowing what to get because you don't know how big a fiver you will want.

Guess I would go with current set-up until you find out what you will want. You just don't know yet so stick with what you have until you know what you will want.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

I tend to agree with George and Earl. It's still a 26yo rig and if you're full timing.. even minor breakdowns (which are inevitable in that age of rig) can be a major PITA on the road.

I don't know if the 7.5k TT you mentioned is a dry weight or fully loaded, but if dry.. you're probably pushing closer to 10k loaded. That's still within the recommended 80% range of tow capacity and should suit you just fine for now in most any condition (providing your other weight ratings are also in range). Going with anything larger.. it's kind of a no brainer that an upgrade will be required.

You've got time on your side. My approach would to be actively shopping.. but you're certainly not pressed to buy anything at the moment. If a sweet, too good to pass up, deal presents itself.. then buy. There's no need to "push" a deal or compromise, though. If you miss one deal.. another will surely present itself soon enough. You're in a great position.

Just my opinion. It's ideal to decide on a trailer before purchasing a TV, however, personally, I wouldn't necessarily pass up a great deal on a TV before deciding on a new trailer. As long as it has a decent tow capacity (ideally.. ~15k conventional. ~17-20k 5th wheel) and ratings you're sure to find a trailer that will both fit your needs and be well within your 80%. There are more trailer options than good deals on TV's that can translate into $10-15k (or more) savings over "having" to buy a particular TV "now" to fit your trailer. JMHO

Many will say it's the opposite. Buy what you really "want" in a trailer/home then buy a TV to fit. They aren't wrong. I'm just more the type willing to make a few compromises in the size of my home over saving significant bank on a TV I've fallen in love with. ;)

In all honesty thought.. a TV with 13-15k conventional and 15-20k 5th wheel tow capacity.. there isn't much you couldn't tow.. or even want to behind an ~8k rig.

Archived