Giraffe low clearance avoidance system

Dasman321

Most RV/truck GPS systems now incorporate low clearance warnings. I know the Rand McNally unit does. If you set it up with your unit's height it will not route you under one too low. A truckers road atlas will also have a section listing low clearances.

Interesting idea but it can't measure the height of the overpass under you are at it.

I rely on trucking GPS software which is height knowledgeable

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Thanks for the response, however I am more concerned with Mislabeled fuel station canopies and RV park obstacles.

I could be wrong in my thinking, but I worry about those less than I do a mislabeled highway underpass. Highways occasionally get repaved which make a difference in the clearance which might not be corrected and you would be hard pressed to pin liability on a government entity. Campgrounds and gas stations do not have that governmental protection and therefore are more likely to be accurate in what they post because they can be sued for liability.

My two cents.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I could be wrong in my thinking, but I worry about those less than I do a mislabeled highway underpass. Highways occasionally get repaved which make a difference in the clearance which might not be corrected and you would be hard pressed to pin liability on a government entity. Campgrounds and gas stations do not have that governmental protection and therefore are more likely to be accurate in what they post because they can be sued for liability.

My two cents.

Thanks. I've never had an issue before with my motohomes but I just bought my first brand new 5th wheel and I'm feeling a bit paranoid and don't want to scratch my shiny new rig:) I have had a few "mishaps " that could have been avoided with a ground guide or just moving a bit slower and yes I did learn from my mistakes and have not repeated them. Just curious about what others would have to say. So thanks for the responses.?

A suggestion is an auxiliary fuel tank in your trucks bed (assuming you have the payload capability)

then you can travel for a couple days and disconnect and get diesel without the fifth wheel. Works

great for us. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Thanks. I've never had an issue before with my motohomes but I just bought my first brand new 5th wheel and I'm feeling a bit paranoid and don't want to scratch my shiny new rig:) I have had a few "mishaps " that could have been avoided with a ground guide or just moving a bit slower and yes I did learn from my mistakes and have not repeated them. Just curious about what others would have to say. So thanks for the responses.

Your concern is well-founded if the video of a 5er tearing down a bank canopy that's been circulating on the internet for several year is valid. Insurance paying for damage to your property is good but it doesn't replace the new-undamaged pride one has in their $$$$$$ purchase.

When we owned a 5er, I had a whip CB antenna on my dually's roof that would strike first. I would approach slowly when I had doubted height was adequate.

I seldom doubted interstate/highway underpass height when I saw evidence semi-trucks were using that road.

Bottom line_ if you think you need/want it go for it, it's is your money after all.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

A suggestion is an auxiliary fuel tank in your trucks bed (assuming you have the payload capability)

then you can travel for a couple days and disconnect and get diesel without the fifth wheel. Works

great for us. Greg

Way ahead of Greg. The truck is at the shop as we speak? Great minds right!?!

Your concern is well-founded if the video of a 5er tearing down a bank canopy that's been circulating on the internet for several year is valid. Insurance paying for damage to your property is good but it doesn't replace the new-undamaged pride one has in their $$$$$$ purchase.

When we owned a 5er, I had a whip CB antenna on my dually's roof that would strike first. I would approach slowly when I had doubted height was adequate.

I seldom doubted interstate/highway underpass height when I saw evidence semi-trucks were using that road.

Bottom line_ if you think you need/want it go for it, it's is your money after all.

Ounce of prevention. Thanks

Archived