New Unlimited Data on Verizon

chirakawa

6 hours ago, RaqiGirl said:

I think that there's a fine distinction which you are not taking into account.  The Jetpack/MiFi is NOT a hotspot in the sense that using the hotspot feature of your phone.  The Jetpack/MiFi has its own line and so is like having a phone on your account. 

I asked specifically about this and have it in writing.

There are literally hundreds of posts concerning this distinction on HoFo and reddit.  Many of the participants are employees of Verizon or Verizon authorized dealers.  Almost all of them agree that jetpack/mifi devices are subject to the same rules as the phone with regard to hotspot usage.  The only exceptions are customers who had a contact with a single Verizon CSR, like you did.  As we all know, you can call Verizon five times and get five different opinions.

I sincerely hope that you are correct and that you never get throttled.  However, the consensus is against that position.  You are correct, the mifi is a separate line, like a phone, and is subject to the same rules as a phone.  A phone gets 10 gb of hotspot usage before being throttled.

There are two schools of thought on why Verizon is not throttling these lines yet.  One is that they rolled out the plan too quickly and weren't technically prepared to enforce the terms.  The other idea is that they are trying to get as many people to commit to the plan as practical before enforcing the limits.  Who knows?  They may never do so.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from taking advantage of this plan.  I just want people to be informed before making that decision.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, chirakawa said:

There are literally hundreds of posts concerning this distinction on HoFo and reddit.  Many of the participants are employees of Verizon or Verizon authorized dealers.  Almost all of them agree that jetpack/mifi devices are subject to the same rules as the phone with regard to hotspot usage.  The only exceptions are customers who had a contact with a single Verizon CSR, like you did.  As we all know, you can call Verizon five times and get five different opinions.

I sincerely hope that you are correct and that you never get throttled.  However, the consensus is against that position.  You are correct, the mifi is a separate line, like a phone, and is subject to the same rules as a phone.  A phone gets 10 gb of hotspot usage before being throttled.

There are two schools of thought on why Verizon is not throttling these lines yet.  One is that they rolled out the plan too quickly and weren't technically prepared to enforce the terms.  The other idea is that they are trying to get as many people to commit to the plan as practical before enforcing the limits.  Who knows?  They may never do so.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from taking advantage of this plan.  I just want people to be informed before making that decision.

We will stick with this post we made 17 hours go. We again called  Verizon Tech service yesterday and read them that post. They agreed it was accurate. We hung up waited  5 mins and called again and got a different tech rep. This time we did not read the post but asked  how the unlimited plan worked. They gave us the same answer. I asked are you sure there has been confusion. They said there had been confusion but there no longer is. I don't know what else to do;...BTW we have 11 G on the Mifi now and it is not throttled. Still 4G LTE

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I have been on the Verizon unlimited plan since the first of the month.  I have 4 lines, one is a Jetpack.  As of today I have used 37 gigs, 27 of them on the jetpack.  I noticed no slowdown after 10 gigs on the Jetpack.  Since the 22 gig mark I have noticed a slow down during the evening hours, however morning and daytime speeds are good.  I suspect that I am being throttled in the evening.  This plan is a huge improvement over my previous 30 gig share everything plan.  I am now able to stream video up to the 22 gig mark, since that point I now download movies from Amazon Prime overnight to watch the next night.  I am 7 gigs over the allowance  of my former  plan and I still have 7 days to go.  So far I am a happy camper.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

9 hours ago, richfaa said:

...BTW we have 11 G on the Mifi now and it is not throttled. Still 4G LTE

We have 17.66GB on our MiFi and, as far as I know, it's still 4G LTE.  Don't know what to tell "non-believers".  :huh:  I have a friend who argues that there is no reality, that your reality is different than my reality because it's only our perceptions.  Who knows?  Believe what you will.  I can just tell someone my own experiences.

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

"Wile E." -- 2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

9 hours ago, RaqiGirl said:

We have 17.66GB on our MiFi and, as far as I know, it's still 4G LTE.  Don't know what to tell "non-believers".  :huh:  I have a friend who argues that there is no reality, that your reality is different than my reality because it's only our perceptions.  Who knows?  Believe what you will.  I can just tell someone my own experiences.

Where are these "non-believers"?  I think everyone believes you, I certainly do.  I haven't read a single account of anyone being throttled on this new unlimited plan.  What we've been discussing in these past few days is what the Terms of Service say.  We all understand what Verizon is doing now, the question is what will they do next month or in a few months. 

Since I started this thread, I feel an obligation to help people understand the terms of the plan before they make a financial commitment to it.  A mifi is a mobile hotspot, Verizon clearly states they will throttle hotspot data after 10 gb of usage.  Whether they will or not, who knows. 

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

I think this has been constantly changing since the Unlimited plan  came out. What Verizon clearly stated a month ago may not apply today. We are not throttled  here near Orlando, Florida..... Verizon clearly stated a few days ago when and how we might be throttled. and how much un throttled data we had per device. That could change next week.

Our Mi Fi 7730L clearly reads out what our speed is.Right now it reads out 4GLTE.This area should be a high use area what with all the attractions in the area. We will not be moving around for awhile for a real test of the system.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

5 hours ago, richfaa said:

I think this has been constantly changing since the Unlimited plan  came out. What Verizon clearly stated a month ago may not apply today. We are not throttled  here near Orlando, Florida..... Verizon clearly stated a few days ago when and how we might be throttled. and how much un throttled data we had per device. That could change next week.

Our Mi Fi 7730L clearly reads out what our speed is.Right now it reads out 4GLTE.This area should be a high use area what with all the attractions in the area. We will not be moving around for awhile for a real test of the system.

I agree, and I appreciate that position.  It is an evolving situation.  The only solid thing we have is the Terms of Service as stated by Verizon.  A conversation with a CSR means zero.

With regard to your mifi reading 4G LTE, you do realize that what they say is the throttling will be on LTE.  They are saying it will be throttled to 3g speeds, not to actual 3g.  Specifically, they've stated that the throttle will be at 600 kbs on LTE.

1 hour ago, chirakawa said:

I agree, and I appreciate that position.  It is an evolving situation.  The only solid thing we have is the Terms of Service as stated by Verizon.  A conversation with a CSR means zero.

With regard to your mifi reading 4G LTE, you do realize that what they say is the throttling will be on LTE.  They are saying it will be throttled to 3g speeds, not to actual 3g.  Specifically, they've stated that the throttle will be at 600 kbs on LTE.

That's correct, when on an old T-mobile plan when I got throttle to 2G speeds my phone still showed LTE, it was just unusable since so slow.

If verizon wants to be really mean and sneaky they will not throttle for say 6 months then start throttling after 10GB, many people would have already got their jet packs free under contract and would have to continue paying for another 18 months for a throttled jet pack, they couldn't cancel without cancellation fee as verzion wouldn't have changed the terms of the agreement, as a long time off and on verizon customer I wouldn't put it past them, but competition right now is strong so I doubt they do it. Again if I was to add a jet pack to my verizon unlimited plan I would not get a contract, just buy a jet pack outright so could cancel if they start throttling. That's why I got my mobley even though I have verizon phones, same price and don't have to worry about it.

40 minutes ago, lexidog said:

That's correct, when on an old T-mobile plan when I got throttle to 2G speeds my phone still showed LTE, it was just unusable since so slow.

If verizon wants to be really mean and sneaky they will not throttle for say 6 months then start throttling after 10GB, many people would have already got their jet packs free under contract and would have to continue paying for another 18 months for a throttled jet pack, they couldn't cancel without cancellation fee as verzion wouldn't have changed the terms of the agreement, as a long time off and on verizon customer I wouldn't put it past them, but competition right now is strong so I doubt they do it. Again if I was to add a jet pack to my verizon unlimited plan I would not get a contract, just buy a jet pack outright so could cancel if they start throttling. That's why I got my mobley even though I have verizon phones, same price and don't have to worry about it.

We shall see. We use speed test and visual route server to check for speed. When we note we are being throttled we will check speed and see what it says.

I'm hoping they don't start throttling.  However, it won't hurt me as much as some people since I don't stream television, movies, and such.  If they'll maintain 600 kbs, it'll meet my needs okay.

2 hours ago, chirakawa said:

I'm hoping they don't start throttling.  However, it won't hurt me as much as some people since I don't stream television, movies, and such.  If they'll maintain 600 kbs, it'll meet my needs okay.

Same here which was the determining   factor in going to the unlimited  with some perhaps unknowns from our unlimited talk and text 40G plan.

35 minutes ago, moses195 said:

I haven't read this entire thread, I have had the unlimited for 1 month, At 36GB Verizon started throttling really hard. Almost impossible for youtube, etc. But I am happy with it, before I was paying the same price for 24GB.

Was that consistent throttling or just network management at a busy time of the day? Was this on a dedicated mifi device? 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

9 minutes ago, BlueLghtning said:

Was that consistent throttling or just network management at a busy time of the day? Was this on a dedicated mifi device? 

What part of the country are you in. We shall just have to .individually monitor and see how the unlimited plan affects us. Right now for us.. were we are ..no effect.

14 minutes ago, richfaa said:

What part of the country are you in. We shall just have to .individually monitor and see how the unlimited plan affects us. Right now for us.. were we are ..no effect.

I think maybe you meant to quote @moses195. We just have the plans on our cell phones and haven't even come close to the 22gb level as we still are in a S&B home with regular internet. I've been thinking of adding a mifi defivice to our plan. 

15.30 Gig and no throttling. We re monitoring speed with speeedtest  and visual route server.

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 9:47 AM, richfaa said:

15.30 Gig and no throttling. We re monitoring speed with speeedtest  and visual route server.

23 Gig no throttling 27.35 D and 13.04 U as it has always been. We are very near WDW and all the attractions in Florida .I would guess a high usage area. We are using the new plan hard to test what 3 or 4 different Verizon reps tell us, what social media tells us against  what we actually see.

This is of course here at this location it may very well change in another part of the country but for now it is what it is. 3/30/17

On 3/23/2017 at 6:08 PM, chirakawa said:

The fact that Verizon retired the XL and greater plans looks ominous.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

1 hour ago, Zulu said:

The fact that Verizon retired the XL and greater plans looks ominous.

It what way?????

1 hour ago, richfaa said:

It what way?????

When I was thinking about changing my fixed data plan to the new unlimited plan, a Verizon CSR assured me that I would be able to change back to my old fixed data plan if I didn't like the unlimited plan.

Now, less than a month after my inquiry, it appears that this option is no longer available!!!!!! (comedic emphasis)

The largest fixed data plan in now 8 GB instead of 100 GB.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

3 hours ago, LFDR3116 said:

Isn't the throttling only supposed to happen if, you have exceeded the data amount AND the tower is congested?  Not just routine throttling because of the amount you use.

That is what we were told by Verizon. We were told 22 gig per Device. we are monitoring in real time what is happening. We are at 27Gig and no throttling . We are near Disney world.

We just completed our first month on this plan.  We used 70 gigs of data, over 50 on our hotspot.  We are at South Padre Island, TX and notice that evening hours are a bit slower than daytime and morning, especially on weekends.  Don't know if this is throttling or just heavy usage, but it is also slow on our tablets and phones at those hours so I suspect it's just heavy usage slowing it down.  So far, so good.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 6:32 PM, richfaa said:

That is what we were told by Verizon. We were told 22 gig per Device. we are monitoring in real time what is happening. We are at 27Gig and no throttling . We are near Disney world.

So what is a "Device" Right now we are showing 2 devices connected one would be this PC the other would be the tablet wife is on. She also has a PC not on right now our two smart phones are NOT showing as a "device" With both PC's and tablets off we show NO  devices connected although both phones are on . Verizon says 22 gig  per device. We are now at 32Gig with 22 gig on ONE device which is this PC  and I am using it hard. The speed monitored with speed test and others  has Not decreased  at all. We are near WDW Orlando. Our previous plan was unlimited talk and text 40 gig shared . This is what we see real time.

31 minutes ago, richfaa said:

So what is a "Device" Right now we are showing 2 devices connected one would be this PC the other would be the tablet wife is on. She also has a PC not on right now our two smart phones are NOT showing as a "device" With both PC's and tablets off we show NO  devices connected although both phones are on . Verizon says 22 gig  per device. We are now at 32Gig with 22 gig on ONE device which is this PC  and I am using it hard. The speed monitored with speed test and others  has Not decreased  at all. We are near WDW Orlando. Our previous plan was unlimited talk and text 40 gig shared . This is what we see real time.

Just as an FYI, the Per device is really per line. It sounds like you might have 3 devices or lines on your account with 2 smart phones and one mifi device if they are all on the same Verizon account? From Verizon's point of view, they don't care how many "devices" connect to the mifi jetpack, whether it's a PC, tablet, or even your phones on wifi, they are only measuring the overall usage by that single device or line on their system. It's been good to see that they aren't throttling anyone yet on the Mifi devices at 10gb and it seems even the network management isn't even being kicked in at 22gb, but it makes you wonder if they might start that soon. 

Archived