New Unlimited Data on Verizon

chirakawa

So, if you have one smartphone and one mifi on the new plan, you will get 44 gb unrestricted 4g service including a total of 20 gb 4g hotspot before being throttled.

If this true and I had understood this, I would not have switched back to my old plan. My wife and I each have a smart phone and I have a jetpack. So if I'm understanding what you said, we would have 66 gb of unrestricted 4g on the three devices, plus 30 gb of 4g hotspot use?

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this true and I had understood this, I would not have switched back to my old plan. My wife and I each have a smart phone and I have a jetpack. So if I'm understanding what you said, we would have 66 gb of unrestricted 4g on the three devices, plus 30 gb of 4g hotspot use?

Yes, that is my understanding from reading the posts on reddit from Verizon employees who are quoting from infomanager, the Verizon software.

That package would cost you $160 on autopay. You do realize that each device would have 10 gb of hotspot, so you would have to juggle the three devices on hotspot to get all 30 gb of 4g? However, it still adds up to 30 gb per month.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

You would have 66gb of unrestricted data, 30gb of that available for hotspot split evenly between the 3 devices. To be technical, the jetpack would only get the 10gb of 4g data unless you had a backup phone to put it in to get the full 22gb of data. It's possible your on device service on the two remaining phone lines stil wouldn't be restricted after 22gb depending on where you are and network congestion. I guess that is something for all of us to see since this is the first time Verizon will be using network managing tools. How heavy handed will they be on the network management.

One of the things I like about that is if I get a phone with HDMI support, it would be easy to use that to continue to stream movies/netflix/Amazon on device where you don't run into the 10gb limit, but still watch them on a TV.

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

I just spent another hour on the phone with Verizon. The CS rep was not able to find clear written guidance on the jetpack. At first she thought there would be 22 gb available to use on each smart phone and again on the jetpack and then an additional 10g of hotspot 4G on each device. She put me on hold for ten minutes and checked with her supervisor and marketing. She came back and said she was wrong. The jetpack would ONLY get 10 gb of unrestricted 4G and then IF the tower was busy, 3g data after the 10. She also said the phones should work in the mobile hotspot mode.

And I do realize I'd have to juggle hotspot data between each smart phone and the jetpack to get 30 gb of hotspot data.

I asked her to send me something confirming those points before I switch back again and she said that's a problem because any outgoing email had to be approved by the legal department and she couldn't find it clearly written on the website.

I also discovered that my present $10 access fee for the jetpack is $20 with the unlimited plan and a tablet would also be $20. Bluelightings suggestion of a device (tablet or phone) with HDMI might be good use of the full 22 + 10 gb of 4g data.

This is almost too confusing for an old brain.

This video from Technomadia should help people and I would expect that their info they get directly from their PR reps should be the most accurante. Definitely more than a CSR who may not know all the ins and outs.

-

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

This video from Technomadia should help people and I would expect that their info they get directly from their PR reps should be the most accurante. Definitely more than a CSR who may not know all the ins and outs.

-

Thanks for posting the video.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Cherie,

Excellent video. If you can watch it on your phone can it be cast to a TV so equipped? Like this for my Vizio? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vizio.vue.launcher&hl=en

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Verizon Unlimited =
$80 for unlimited data, talk and text on your smartphone with paper-free billing and AutoPay.

$45 per line for four lines with unlimited data, talk and text on your smartphones and tablets with paper-free billing and AutoPay.

From what I can glean, current line fees seem to range from $10 (USB stick) to $40 (under contract phone).

Plus, there's this proviso . . .

"To ensure a quality experience for all customers, after 22 GB of data usage on a line during any billing cycle we may prioritize usage behind other customers in the event of network congestion." (ie, throttling)

So for 1 line you get a 22 GB plan for $125 ($80 data fee + $45 line fee) with up to 15 GB/mon (500 MB/day) of roaming in Mexico/Canada.

Currently, a 16 GB plan ("XL") is $110 ($90 data fee + $20 line fee) and a 24 GB plan ("XXL") is $130 ($110 data fee + $20 line fee).

This looks bad to me.

Good comparison...thanks.

Rex & Karen

Libre y pobre en La Casa Rodante

It's not a good comparison because his numbers on the new unlimited plan are inaccurate.

Yep, you're correct. I did not have a firm grasp of the incredibly easy-to-understand new Verizon "unlimited" plan.

However, I think I understand the new pricing system now. Here's my updated pricing example (minus equipment protection & surcharges). So for my 3-line setup (2 iphones + 1 USB modem):

$162 (3 x $54) for the new Verizon "unlimited" plan.

$295 ($225 50 GB data fee + $70 in line fees) for my current plan (the "old" "new" 50 GB Verizon plan)

For $133 more, I get 50 GB, not 22 "unlimited" GBs. It's worth it to me.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Yup that 10 GB clip on data devices is a killer for the new plans. If I could do 22 GB on the modem, and 22 GB on one of the phones, I would consider it but I am sticking with my 40 GB shared plan.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Yep, you're correct. I did not have a firm grasp of the incredibly easy-to-understand new Verizon "unlimited" plan.

However, I think I understand the new pricing system now. Here's my updated pricing example (minus equipment protection & surcharges). So for my 3-line setup (2 iphones + 1 USB modem):

$162 (3 x $54) for the new Verizon "unlimited" plan.

$295 ($225 50 GB data fee + $70 in line fees) for my current plan (the "old" "new" 50 GB Verizon plan)

For $133 more, I get 50 GB, not 22 "unlimited" GBs. It's worth it to me.

The cost of the new plan for 2 Iphones and a mifi is $100 + $20 + $20 + $20 = $160 if all three devices are off contract. For that, you get 22 gb of 4g data on each device = 66 gb of 4g data. After you reach 22 gb on any one device, that device is subject to de-prioritization on that device only. That doesn't mean the speed will be reduced, it means it might be reduced if on a congested tower.

You also get 10 gb of that 22 gb on each device for hotspot use. So, you get 30 gb of 4g hotspot use total. After any one device reaches 10 gb of 4g hotspot usage, that device will be throttled to 600 kbs for unlimited data the rest of the month.

Zulu, I'm not trying to convince you to switch. I just want you to understand what you would be getting. It's not like the old shared plans, each device gets the 22 gb and 10 gb hotspot. So, you could add a couple more mifi devices and get even more data and hotspot usage for another $40. Just trying to help.

The cost of the new plan for 2 Iphones and a mifi is $100 + $20 + $20 + $20 = $160 if all three devices are off contract. For that, you get 22 gb of 4g data on each device = 66 gb of 4g data.

If I can believe what I learned today, that's not correct. You do NOT get 22 gb of data on the mifi (jetpack), only the 10 gb of 4g and then 3g speed data.

Well I ate my words today. Signed up with Verizon with the Unlimited plan. Deciding fact is we get 10gig on each phone for hotspot. Wife and I each have a 10gig. That is very doable since we rarely use 15 gig but close each month total. Using it now for data for my laptop. Almost got a 10" tablet with the new display technology. It was amazingly easy to see and that without my glasses. Considering it a replacement for my laptop. Logged on to this site and display very easy to read. Passed for now.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I like the rollover data and the much larger Canadian and Mexican usage limits of the "New Verizon Plan" from last July. Like Zulu, the 10GB hotspot usage per device is more important than the 22GB of on device usage. A USB Modem or Jetpack is really limited to 10GB of 4G, not 22GB, since the device usage is almost zero (system updates). Anyway, I will continue to pay a bit more for a true 40GB shared plan where I don't have to shuffle 4 hotspots for 10GB each. Plus my wife and I do plan on spending some time in Canada this summer, and 500MB would not cut it. We almost spent a week in Mexico in December, before the family organizer had to cancel it.

Edit: I also think this is not the end of changes for this and other carriers plans. I do expect the specific details to change over time.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

If I can believe what I learned today, that's not correct. You do NOT get 22 gb of data on the mifi (jetpack), only the 10 gb of 4g and then 3g speed data.

You're correct. I misspoke. So, with two iPhones and a mifi, you'd get 54 gb of 4g data. 30 gb of that would be 4g hotspot.

For those of you hanging on to your grandfathered Verizon unlimited plans, here's a word of warning. I have two such plans and had been feeling good that I hadn't received a notice that either was being cancelled. However, this afternoon I received an email from Verizon that referenced a notification in January that I never received which, apparently, put me on notice that my plan was going to be terminated. This new email told me "how fortunate" I am that the new Verizon unlimited plan has just been announced.

To make a long story short, I've now signed up for the "new unlimited plan" to replace the one being cancelled. However, I held onto the other grandfathered plan. I intend to keep it until they "pry it from my cold dead fingers!" Switching to the new plan did reduce my monthly costs substantially and the CSR said that I would see further reductions if I switched plans on our other line, also.

With respect to controlling hotspot use under the new unlimited plan, does anyone know if FoxFi or PDAnet can be used to avoid the 10GB limit? I know that FoxFi doesn't work with Android Nougat, but tethering a phone to a WiFiRanger or similar device seems like it ought to work. Am I missing something? Similarly, if my objective is watch Netflix, presumably does anything prevent me from using Chromecast to "throw" the video to a TV, or am I missing something? The data would look as if it was being used on the phone and not via a hotspot.

Fortunately, at our winter home site in Rockport TX there's now a WISP that has 5-10Mbps service available for ~$40/mo. Guess who I'll be calling first thing tomorrow? :lol:

Oh, well, all good things have to come to an end. We've probably used ~1,000GB of data over the past 5 years, so I have no regrets.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

A Verizon CSR told me I cannot have a single line account with just a Jetpack on it with the new unlimited plan. I have to have at least one smartphone on the plan as well. Our smartphones are currently on Verizon via Tracfone, and I see no reason to switch to the more costly Verizon direct plan just to get 10GB on the Jetpack instead of the 20GB I currently have for $100/mo. Using a smartphone as a hotspot hasn't worked well for us in the past either. I also have another 20GB on another hotspot through AT&T MVNO H2O for $50/mo, although that's a limited time deal that could drop back to 10GB at anytime.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I currently have 4 lines (hotspot, 2 phones and a tablet) and a 30 gig plan that costs $294 per month. Some months I run real close on the data, restricting myself to make it under the 30 gigs. If I understand correctly, the new plan would cost me $217 per month ($22 of which is insurance on phones), a $77 savings. Plus I would have 40 gigs of 4g available if I use my phones and tablet as hotspots when needed. The only thing stopping me at this time is I am waiting to hear from someone who is on the new plan and has had actual success using their phone as a hotspot.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

The only thing stopping me at this time is I am waiting to hear from someone who is on the new plan and has had actual success using their phone as a hotspot.

We've been using phone hotspots on Verizon for years using the built-in app. I fully expect that this plan will use those also. My previous question had to do with whether or not there was a way around it.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Well I'm confused as a bat in daylight.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

OK,

here is a great article titled "Unlimited plans: Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T and Sprint, compared"

It shows a very good and for the subject brief overview comparing the four unlimited deals and what each means relative to the others.

Excerpt:

"Data limits and throttling

The big four carriers offer unlimited plans with unlimited talk, texting and data. That comes with a catch though -- when you hit the data limit, your data speeds are slowed down or your data needs are sent to the back of the line. These are the data limits for each carrier:

•AT&T: 22GB

•Sprint: 23GB

•T-Mobile: 28GB

•Verizon: 22GB

Cost for single line

Obviously, one of the reasons unlimited plans exist are to offer lots of data at a reasonable price -- reasonable enough to beat overage charges. Here's what a single line of unlimited data on each carrier costs:

•AT&T: $100 per month (in addition to the required DirectTV/U-verse service so total cost is $150 per month)

•Sprint: $55 per month (with a $5 per month AutoPay discount)

•T-Mobile One: $70 per month (with a $5 per month AutoPay discount)

•Verizon: $80 per month (with a $5 per month AutoPay discount)

A couple notes on theses plans:

•The plans for AT&T, Sprint and Verizon do not include taxes, surcharges or additional fees

•At the time of this writing, Sprint has a promotion where its unlimited data plan is only $50 per month through March 31, 2018."

They go on to compare:

Cost for additional lines, HD video vs. SD video, Mobile hotspot data, The final word.

All in the full article here: https://www.cnet.com/news/how-does-verizon-unlimited-plan-stack-up-against-the-others/?ftag=CAD1acfa04&bhid=20640562413884385817807471581031

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Doc/Joel - Was the phone On or Off Contract that they sent you the email on about the GF UDP?

Wondering if me scrambling to get 'On Contract' - would make a difference... (I may have snoozed too long on this one:)!)

TIA,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Archived