Newcomer to the HTD scene, truck mileage ?

curtm

Well, starting to look around for a truck and what others have, Was kinda looking for a 2006 and newer volvo to single, i see a lot of trucks around with 1-1.5 million miles on the for a descent price, what is everyone else looking at as far as miles, I understand that the condition of the truck has a lot to do with it, but as far as milege what is the range to stay in, Hear alot of issues with volvo engines and injector cups, other such as cummings , Cats etc have there own issues, trying to get a feeling of what to look at

thanks Curt

Even if you get a new transmission and motor the chassis still has a million plus miles. My Kenworth had 1.3 million miles on it. Motor has about 300000 and tranny the same so I'm told when I bought it. Runs strong, pulls strong but have a lot of little stuff and some big stuff to fix. I wanted a Cat motor so went an older truck. Mine is a 2000. With all that said I only paid $8000 for it knowing I would put some money and time into it. High mileage is not guarenteed a bad idea to stay away from but be smart about it cause these big beast can be a money pit on their best days.

1,000,000 km is much better.

The Volvo D12 engine has a B50 life expectancy of over 1 million miles (1.2 or 1.3 million). That means half the engines in the field are expected to get to that point without a major overhaul:

http://www.dieselhub.com/tech/b10-b50-life.html

1.5Mkm is on the high end and I'd avoid those.

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Mine had 600k miles when I bought it. Now 12 years later we just rolled past 700k last summer. No major issues so far - fingers crossed!

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

So for the people in Canada who use kilometers instead of miles how come it is called mileage and not kilometerage or is that just too hard to say?

We prefer a truck with less mileage, ours had 450000 miles when we bought it, but has previously posted if the motor and trans had been rebuilt and the price was right and the truck was right then go for it. Just be sure to get a good inspection and have a larger repair reserve.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I have no practical experience as an owner. I am also looking to purchase (probably) a Volvo. I have been chatting with one of the mechanics who works at the Volvo Tech Center here in Greensboro and he said the D13 engine is the best, hands down. That Includes the Cummins engine they offer.

I wish I could advise you on mileage but I can't yet. I've shopped enough cars that in my experience simply age is enough to influence my decision. Deterioration of rubber and wiring etc. Then add wear and tear of extra KM. and many little things that go wrong. I would agree with the comments and experience of the owners above.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

I bought an 06 with 780k on it for cheap thinking that I would get my feet wet on the whole HDT experience and then build a newer model later. I don't think I would recommend my approach unless you are super handy and have the space/equipment to do it all yourself. If I had to pay someone to do everything that I have done to mine... It would of been a ton of money. But, I was able to build it myself and go through and fix/replace things at my own pace as money allowed including bearings, seals, and a clutch for the Ultrashift. The engine has only been "tuned" up, and few other things, and seems to be in great shape. I am confident that I won't be doing an in-frame on it anytime soon, if ever. Long story short, I am happy with the way mine is shaping up and I don't see a newer model anytime in the future. Just my 2 cents. Jeremy

1-1.5 mil is on it's last leg unless it has been rebuilt. Got mine, no Volvo though, for 21,500 with 750,00 miles. Truck with that many miles will show it too.

Glen,

Good looking setup! Bet your under $60k for the whole thing, am I wrong?

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Archived