Termites

tinstartrvlr

Walked outside earlier to find termites swarming about. I had hoped they were flying ants but a quick search of the internet seems to prove otherwise.

Anyone here ever had to deal with a termites? Any thoughts on prevention, other than sitting outside with a flyswatter, which is very effective I might add...

Ya just can't RV without a hitch.....!

We had to have our S&B home done. They had to dig a trench around the house, then drill holes into the foundation and then their poison is injected. After that they close the holes with a sealer and the trench is filled in. Cost was about $325.00 and it took a few hours. To me it was better than trying to swat them. It's guaranteed for a year and then they come back and due either a re-treat in whole or in part and an extended guarantee is issued.

I've not heard of the problem in an RV that is in active service, but it sure wouldn't hurt to make certain! If they were flying, that probably means "swarmers."

• Swarmers: The appearance of a swarm of what you would call "flying ants",especially near light sources This indicates a nest may be near. A "swarm" is a group of adult male and female reproductives that leave their nest to establish a new colony. Swarming occurs when a colony reaches a certain size. Swarming is most common in the spring (March, April, May, and June) and occasionally autumn (September and October).

signs of termite infestation

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Is this near a permanent structure or just your RV in a temporary location? In wooded areas, tree stumps and wood piles may support termite colonies and produce swarms. The swarmers are not the cause of damage. It is the workers of the colony that do the damage. Most species of termites need a connection to the ground where the colony is usually located. Or rare occasions the colony may be in the structure if there is a very moist area. There are a couple of species that live in structures with no connection to soil or moist environments.

As mentioned, controlling those that live in the soil is done by treating the soil. Controlling those that live in dry wood is normally done by fumigation of the structure.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

Sorry, guess I should have clarified. This is related to my TT, not s&b, which is in a temporary location.

I am close to the edge of the woods, so maybe that's where they are coming from.

I figure if they are swarming, they are looking for a place to mate and eat, and from what I have read, probably drywood termites.

Found it strange that they were swarming around my open door, yet when I closed it, they went away. Maybe they couldn't smell my tasty wood cabinets anymore.

As is the case, often the first sign of a problem is damage. Hate to find out the hard way that I am infested.

Not sure there is anyway to do a preventative like what is done at a s&b..but if RV infestation is very rare, I won't worry too much.

Ya just can't RV without a hitch.....!

Is this near a permanent structure or just your RV in a temporary location? In wooded areas, tree stumps and wood piles may support termite colonies and produce swarms. The swarmers are not the cause of damage. It is the workers of the colony that do the damage. Most species of termites need a connection to the ground where the colony is usually located. Or rare occasions the colony may be in the structure if there is a very moist area. There are a couple of species that live in structures with no connection to soil or moist environments.

As mentioned, controlling those that live in the soil is done by treating the soil. Controlling those that live in dry wood is normally done by fumigation of the structure.

X2 ^^. I've never heard of a termite infestation in an RV that is actually used as an RV. When my late wife and I lived and worked in Somalia, though, a termite swarm was the signal for our Kenyan and Zambian teammates to grab long, skinny sticks and head out for a feast...

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Sorry, guess I should have clarified. This is related to my TT, not s&b, which is in a temporary location.

I am close to the edge of the woods, so maybe that's where they are coming from.

I figure if they are swarming, they are looking for a place to mate and eat, and from what I have read, probably drywood termites.

Found it strange that they were swarming around my open door, yet when I closed it, they went away. Maybe they couldn't smell my tasty wood cabinets anymore.

As is the case, often the first sign of a problem is damage. Hate to find out the hard way that I am infested.

Not sure there is anyway to do a preventative like what is done at a s&b..but if RV infestation is very rare, I won't worry too much.

WorkerTermites must remain moist throughout their life cycle. That's why they build mud "tubes" to get from the earth to a food source (cellulose) that is dry-like, a building. If you move your trailer at least once a year, you've separated them from their colony/home in the ground, and they will die naturally when their exoskeleton dries out.

In fact, one of the indicators of termite infestation is the presence of mud tubes on dry surfaces, such as concrete, plastic, etc.

Look up " getting rid of termites" on the internet for self-edification. You don't have to have a permit to buy the treatment chemicals off the internet.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived