What have you done to your MH today?

Bruce H

Two days ago, had a Winegard Traveler installed on our 2005 Mountainaire at the Bluebonnet Ridge RV Park in Terrell, TX.  Custom Entertainment did the install and did a great job.  Total cost was better than expected.  DW likes the new setup.  Now she can watch "her shows" from an overnight at a rest area.  Me, it just easier and DW happy.  Life is good.  Oh, my work was to "pay the man".

2019 Jayco 5th Wheel 28.5RSTS  2017 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.2L

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

Simply explain to her that the door to endless square footage is just a few feet away and that there are more stores than anyone needs with whatever extra stuff she might desire . ;)

We have friends who consider thrift stores as storage closets. Buy what you need for now and donate what you no longer need. Works well for special occasion clothes, too, if you don't wear an odd size. We used to have a landlady who attended lots of formal events; she'd go buy a new-to-her dress for each event.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Need to replace the front tires as they are 7 years old and not looking good. I will probbabley use the FMCA Continental tire discount program.

Bill

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

Getting the last things loaded,Checking oil, tire pressures,rad.fluid level, leveling jack fluid level,and I see the Wiper blades need to be replaced. Glad I noticed that the end of copilots blade has started to pull loose. I have Rain-X, but sure is a big area to put on. I know it's worth it so guess I'll do that while changing wiper blades.Better get busy, Gonna be a hot one in Okla today.

On 7/20/2017 at 6:59 PM, Sugord said:

Changed Wiper blades and noticed spray nozzle for washer fluid is broken. anyone know where I can get a new one? 2002 Holiday Rambler Endevaor.

The majority of parts used on a MH are automobile/truck parts, remove the remaining nozzle and visit your local Carquest or NAPA parts store and request they find a match. For instance, my headlamps are from a 1997 Ford.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 7/20/2017 at 5:59 PM, Sugord said:

Changed Wiper blades and noticed spray nozzle for washer fluid is broken. anyone know where I can get a new one? 2002 Holiday Rambler Endevaor.

TYVM I had not even thought of that. I tried the parts store here but we live in a very small town(pop5000}. The Guy just looked at broken part and shook his head, so I super glued it back together. Maybe it will hold until I find a new one.

Taking all of the advice I get here and putting it to use. Haven't found washer sprayer yet but did find new head lights and parking lights to replace the ones that have turned yellow on RV now. Was able to replace both head lights and both parking lights for a little over $100.00.Found out they were the same as used on a Ford Explorer. Who would of thunk. LOL. I'll be able to see at night now.

Been out messing with MH today. Rechecked all fluid levels,Tire pressures,Air suspension air pressure,Started generator and ran it for a few min. Oh and my super glued windshield wiper spray nozzle looks like it will hold up, at least for a while.I think all I have left to do is fill up fuel and propane and we are ready for our first long trip.Shooting for Tuesday departure.

I kind of hate to bring this up, but maybe it will save someone a headache. When we bought the MH, in one of the storage cmpts.there was some grey foam pipe insulation and I wondered what it was used for. ????? Well I found out the hard way when I walked around the back of MH and hung my head on the corner of BR slide out.  So I now have a scar from bridge of my nose to my hairline. Gonna get a couple of those bright colored swim noodles and put in so everyone can see what I didn't.

1 hour ago, pwsmith2 said:

Today was a sad day on my motorhome, I spent the day removing my wife's clothes. The trip we were planning I am going to have to do with out her as she passed away a month ago.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

10 hours ago, pwsmith2 said:

Today was a sad day on my motorhome, I spent the day removing my wife's clothes. The trip we were planning I am going to have to do with out her as she passed away a month ago.

First, let me welcome you to the Escapee forums! We are pleased to have you with us, even under sad circumstances. Your experience is one that each of us will face one day and is the cost of having a loved one in our lives. We mourn with you and encourage you to let us know of any way in which we may be able to help. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

19 hours ago, Sugord said:

Received Escapees stickers today, Rushed out and put them on MH. I think it's an improvement in looks and value.......

2001 Holiday Rambler Endeavor,36' gasser. Last rig, 1994 Avaion 5th wheel 31.5',Pulled with 2005 Chev.4X4  been camping in something or other for 36yrs.Trying to go full time.

Let's see. today washed the motor home with finesse (water beads nicely) sprayed my yellow foggy headlights with a quick spray of wd-40 and gave myself an atta boy when I stood back and looked at my shiny motor home and crisp clear headlights. 

On 7/26/2017 at 8:22 PM, pwsmith2 said:

Sorry to hear of your lost. Welcome to the forum and with one month behind you, I will continue think & pray for you and others in the similar path of life. I have been there and done that. We were 6 weeks from taking a 6-8 week venture. I took that venture 2 years later but took shorter 7-10 days instead. I stopped at lots of libraries and read lots of books trying to find my new direction.

Clay.

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

A huge benafit.....added ceramic window film to the interior of all windows in our 5th wheel.  Five slide outs so there are a lot of windows.

If you're not familiar with the ceramic window film it's worth exploring.  Stop at any real window tint shop and ask them to demonstrate ceramic film.  They use a heat lamp and with your hand under it, you will experience clear glass, light tint, dark tint, limo tint and then ceramic film.....incredable difference in temperature control even with the clear ceramic film (it does come tinted, also).

Because our two dogs travel with us constantly, I had all the windows in our F-350 done (even the front windshield done in clear).  It is pricey (more expensive than just getting regular window tint) and my windows were already fairly dark from the factory but my dogs are family.....what's there comfort worth when we're in a restaurant having breakfast or lunch.  Even after experiencing the heat lamp first hand, once the truck was done and sitting in direct sun light (ie. Home Depot or Walmart parking lots) for an hour or so) we no longer have to go back out to the truck mid way through our shopping to blast the Max A/C or give the dogs water.  It stays reeasonably comfortable in there.  We have noticed if we crack the windows an inch or so, it still gets hot in there so now we leave the windows all the way closed.....it stays cooler.

Again, very pricey.  We just had it done in our 41' 5th wheel with five slide outs (that is a lot of windows!) and our three A/Cs do not run near as much, not even in the triple digit temps.  Our 5th wheel is a 2017 and so it has the very dark tinted windows.....for that reason, we went with the 70 (the lightest tint, next to clear).  The heat rejection is about the same for dark tint or light tint.  Watch this you tube video and then go to a window tint shop and experience ceramic window film for yourself.  I can't help but think because the film is on the interior, it will have to help minimize the window condensation in the winter time, as well.

Here's a link that explains it on a more scientific basis.....  

2017 Grand Design Momentum 376TH pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, dually, longbed

On 7/26/2017 at 9:22 PM, pwsmith2 said:

I read your reply not long after you posted, but I was so taken-back(for lack of the correct wording) that I could not respond. I'm so sad for you, I cannot imagine how you feel.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Finished putting in the new fixtures (very easy stuff) and the difference in the lighting was incredible. Will now replace all the lights in the RV to LED's. Decided to replace fixtures instead of just replacing the bulbs. The new ones look much nicer.

Today?  Spent the day fixing the engine cover on the Damon pusher.  The cover was held to the back wall of the bedroom with 2 2-foot piano hinges.  The hinge helf on the cover was screwed to a piece of 1x2 held in with staples.  Ridiculous.  No wonder it pulled apart.

The sandwich of various materials is held together with adhesives.  Or used to be.  Most of it stopped being held together gosh-knows-how-many owners ago.

Not quite done yet, but have high hopes.  A piece of 1x6 to replace the 1x2 cut in to the foam area, but it should be a lot more bulletproof.   Large quantities of 1" torx screws and several 1/4" bolts/Nylocs. Don't forget a ton of 1-1/2" washers.

The cheapo materials were highlighted by a trim rail around the deck.  I understand that they didn't want to spring for real oak, and so pine with maybe-oak veneer is no surprise.  But as I removed one side rail, it broke.  That's right, it was made of two pieces of pine held together by the veneer.  Seriously.  Not the finger-jointing you would expect, but just two pieces of pine butted together and veneered.

Depending on how whippy this thing turns out to be, I may just replace the trim rails with real oak a bit wider than the original and add some stiffness to the assembly.

On the plus side, despite the miserable condition this thing was in, it seemed to keep the smell and heat of the diesel out of the coach OK.  I expect it to be fine in the future.

pethier, interested in toyhaulers for 13-foot car

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I finished up putting in solid grab bars both sides of the bathroom door frame so my 87-year-old MOL can use the toilet which is lower than she is used to.  Installation looks clean, as the plastic door-frame trim covers the countersunk holes for the 1/4" through-bolts.  I should post a pic.

Today, details around interior lighting and bottom clips for aluminum window blinds.

pethier, interested in toyhaulers for 13-foot car

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to  know I'm not the only one putting perfume on a pig,I just bought a 07 Jeep Grand  Cherokee to pull behind our 01 Holiday Rambler Endevor. We just got back from a 4500+ mile 29 day trip without a tow,Never again.Too many places we did not get to see because MH just too big to get around in some areas.

Archived