Anyone use Craigslist?

kb0zke

Have any of you full-timers used Craigslist to buy or sell an RV? If so, I'd like to hear your experiences. PM me if you don't want to post here.

We're wanting to sell our Foretravel and several people have suggested Craigslist as a sales outlet. I've never bought or sold anything there, so don't know how it works. I see that they have various cities listed, which is fine for those who are parked for some period of time, but what about those of us who move around?

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Sure, we bought almost everything we own on Craigslist, from the Motorhome to the camping chairs and outside mats!

Big thing to remember is don't go somehere with wads of cash in your pocket. If the buyer or seller wants to do the deal. meet at your bank and get them to wire transfer the funds direct from their account to yours and get the bank to double check it has been transferred before handing over the title.

If it's a small item like chairs cash is fine but do the deal in the daylight and in a public place like a McDonalds parking lot,

We've saved a fortune buying thru Craigslist an never had a worrying moment.

Just think before you make a deal and if it doesn't feel right walk awat.

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

If you have never sold on CL before, just be aware of the scammer e-mails you are certain to get on anything you sell. They'll offer more money than what you are asking on fake cashiers check asking you to refund the difference, or they'll try to tell you to do the trasaction through PayPal/Ebay, etc. There are so many schemes out there, so just keep your guard up. Usually a legitimate person will be happy to talk on the phone to you and discuss the sale and terms and agreements.

Depending on what you are selling and how desirable it is, you certainly may get an out of state buyer, but the transaction should definitely be done in person and as the previous poster mentioned at a bank is even better.

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

We have bought and sold items on Craigslist. Bought a RZR, chairs tools and more. Sold a 5er and a welder for example. Use caution as with any type of ads. If I am going to look at something I prefer to have another along. If I am selling I also like another along. If it looks iffy move on but usually it is just another wanting to buy or sell something. I prefer craigslist ads with pictures for buying and selling. When selling it is not uncommon to get some off the wall responses. I just ignore these as these are usually scams and be careful accepting any type of check. I dont accept checks.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

I sold my house and it's contents on Craigslist. Just need to weed through all of the people with no intent to buy or want it for free. There are people out there that want to scam you. The above posted advice is good to follow.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Craigslist can be good but like few stated. Full of Scammers, Brokers trying to get ya to list with them. Had my RV on it once. Got a few possible good chances of selling but nothing ever panned out.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

I have bought and sold several times using CL. As previously stated above, there will be some scammers. I always arranged to meet in a public place to conduct the business and of course I will take nothing but CASH.

Dealing with nothing but cash, how do you work it out the the buy to meet at where(?) with a $100,000 in cash. A brief case of one thousand, 100 dollar bills is something I would sure be reluctant to carry around.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Dealing with nothing but cash, how do you work it out the the buy to meet at where(?) with a $100,000 in cash. A brief case of one thousand, 100 dollar bills is something I would sure be reluctant to carry around.

That's where using your head comes into play . A cash deal of that size should take place at a bank or someplace of that nature . Witnesses ....

Goes around , comes around .

With a large purchase you will need to be creative. I once bought a $18k Goldwing from CL which involved a 300 mile trip to inspect the bike. Everything checked out and I felt comfortable with the situation, so I gave the guy a personal check and he gave me the unsigned title and a receipt. A week later I returned to get the bike and he signed off the title. Yes, there was risk involved and if there were any red flags, then just walk away.

Greg

I see that they have various cities listed, which is fine for those who are parked for some period of time, but what about those of us who move around?

For selling a RV you would almost have to do it, as traveling full-timers, while you would stay for a month or so in one place and preferably in a place where RVers go as a destination or near a big city. Also, ads get buried fast and most people don't go back to look at those older ads so you have to keep moving your ad to the top. Show good pictures of your RV inside and out. Give it a try.... it doesn't cost anything and it may be your lucky day!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I have never sold/bought anything using CL for a value that large, but yes I do know how to handle that much cash for a short time.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

Sold both our motorcycles and our truck on Craigslist. Have our trailer for sale on it. Just have to be careful like others say, lots of scammers. Be ready for people who say they will show up and don't. But it's free and it worked on selling everything so far.

I once watched a woman make several small transactions in a Walmart parking lot. She apparently scheduled them a half hour apart. So she sat and listened to the radio in between customers. It looked like it worked well.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Set up an email account that you can walk away from, Google or yahoo, and set up Google voice, to protect your ID and location.Also consider RvTRADER or Ebay for the RV.

Also Google any contact info you receive, to check the buyers out

1999 Dodge QuadCab Diesel

2005 DesertFox 28KS

The toy is the wife's sewing machines

1992 Dodge Roadtrek 190 Versitile

"...traveled the same road as many..."

We purchased our like-new Landmark from a Craiglist ad. After looking it over made and offer via email. Couple counter offers later we met at the bank to take title and closed the deal with a bank transfer. It was a good experience and we saved a lot of over the cost of new.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

we bought our truck camper on CL. when it was time for the transaction, we met the seller at a local Chase bank and had the bank handle the passage of money.

Sue and Paul- fulltimed 2009 -2015 with Dozer, our Gray Tuxedo cat

2012 DRV Mobile Suites 36TKSB4 pulled by a 2020 F350 Platinum

Our "vacation home" : 2018 Arctic Fox 1150 truck camper

RIP Dozey

http://soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com/

I have been buying and selling on Craigslist (CL) for years, all with a happy ending. You just need to use common sense. Lately, the scammers have hit the 'list. Say you're selling an item for $1000. They will send you an email saying that they really want your item, but they are out of town. They offer to send you a certified check in the amount of $2000, telling you to take an additional $100 for your time and effort and to send them the difference so they can pay the shipping company. If you agree, they will send you a certified check. Take it to your bank, and it WILL CLEAR. The problem is, when it gets to the supposed issuing bank, it's fraudulent and bounces. By then, you have assumed the check is good since it cleared your bank, and have sent them the extra money. Guess what? Your bank now wants their money back from YOU.

The sad part is, I usually have them send me the check overnight (making them at least put out for the mail cost) and when I get the check, I take it to the bank and report it. The bank thanks me, and I can only assume they throw it in the trash since I never hear from them again. They don't care as they always get their money. My thought is to take it to the Post Office as it is theft through the mail and let them handle it. Then it's federal. But, I really don't expect much.

By the way, when I tell the alleged buyer that I will just hand the difference to the shipper when they get there, I get all kind of excuses as to why that won't work, including they want their money before they will come pick it up, and so on....

Just use common sense... If it sounds too good to be true, IT'S A LIE

I support the "Thin Blue Line"

We did use Craig's List to sell our 14 year old motorhome when we came back to part-time. It worked eventually, but we did get a few nuance calls and at least one scam attempt. You need to be careful with the responses, but that is also true of any means of advertising. I didn't see any major difference in it and any of the other means of advertising and it didn't cost us anything.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Bought and sold the last two MH , fifth wheel and FL toter. It works. Remember the goal is to get a good deal when buying so when selling if you want high book it probably won't work real well. Isn't much different than buying from a dealership as most aren't known for get honesty.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

Archived