50 amp electrical issue.

TXiceman

I doubt it too, Kirk, but since it does have neutral connections internally that could fail, and testing is as simple as moving a plug, it's worth a try. Stranger things have happened, as we both well know! ;)

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Based on the symptoms described I doubt the Hughes is the problem, but never say never, it could be a possibility. I more suspect a loose/resistive connection if not in the pedestal somewhere upstream like the distribution panel or whatever serves it. Those (including trying it absent the transformer) are not difficult or expensive checks. If the 240 voltage is consistent but there are imbalances in the 120 tells us a lot, but unfortunately with no pure 240 only loads we have less data.

Fun chat

John T

Take a voltage reading from neutral to ground WITH loads running at the pedestal. You should see virtually zero volts under all conditions. If a reading of 3-5 v. or more appears at any time, your upstream neutral is compromised.

Sit by the pedestal (with a cool one) and watch the meter as someone inside turns on and off the various loads and see what happens.

Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

EXPERTS AREN'T!! :D

They have checked the distribution panel at the power company meter. Next step is to get the power company to check upstream of the meter to the transformer.

If I take the Auto Transformer out, I will start getting low voltage drops on the PI EMS on L1. L2 runs high voltage, just not as high.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Ken, sounds like a good systematic approach, if there's no problem I your RV or its loads, no loose/resistive connections in the pedestal, then its upstream to the distribution panel(s), then to the utility transformer. In certain situations the voltage may be increased via tap changes at the transformer, but if the loaded 240 is good and consistent but you're only getting variations in the 120, I suspect possible resistive Neutral connections. Again this doesn't involve any difficult or expensive testing, mainly visuals, tightening terminals, and voltage under load measurements. In a perfect world with adequate sized conductors and low resistance connections, voltages under load from Line to Neutral (with Neutral current flow) or Line to Ground would be close, but it doesn't take a lot of current flow through the normal wire resistance but especially with a resistive connection to cause a difference all subject to current and resistance.

Starting to sound like a distribution versus your Hughes as the problem.

John T

Archived