Fresh water tank fills up on its own when hooked up to city water

Hey folks,

Hope someone can offer me a solution. I have 2012 Carriage Cameo 5ver. Had water pump replaced last spring. Since then I have experienced and intermittent issue. For no apparent reason my fresh water tank fills up when the water pump is off but I am hooked up to City water. It has filled to overflowing twice. It doesn't do it all the time. I try to monitor it but don't always catch it in time. Any ideas on what may be causing this and how to correct it?

Thanks for the advice/info.

Hey folks,

Hope someone can offer me a solution. I have 2012 Carriage Cameo 5ver. Had water pump replaced last spring. Since then I have experienced and intermittent issue. For no apparent reason my fresh water tank fills up when the water pump is off but I am hooked up to City water. It has filled to overflowing twice. It doesn't do it all the time. I try to monitor it but don't always catch it in time. Any ideas on what may be causing this and how to correct it?

Thanks for the advice/info.

There's a check valve between the city water connection and the pump outlet to prevent this. I'd say it is malfunctioning and city pressure is flowing through the pump back into the tank.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Do you have an Anderson 4-Way valve? If so, they sometimes leak and Anderson has a repair kit.

The other source of filling the fresh water tank is leakage from the reverse valving in the pump.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

At our fresh water city connection there is a valve that allows water to go directly into the RV, or the water can be diverted to the onboard tank. I have had this valve fail, which then fills the onboard tank, even when set in the "city fill" position.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

My money is a flakey check valve in or attached to your new water pump like chirakawa has said. We

had the same intermittent problem you describe and it was the check valve in the pump. Rather than

replace the pump we added another check valve on the pumps output, problem solved. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Most RV water pumps don't have a check valve but are diaphragm pumps that act as a check valve when not operating. While it isn't common, the do sometimes leak back and that could be fixed by adding a check valve to the outlet of the pump. There are also pumps that have a check valve built in and a few use a separate check valve. It might help if we knew what fresh water pump you have. If your RV has one the "tank fill" valves they also could be leaking. On our previous RV there was a tank fill valve that was separate and only supplied the tank & if it was not completely closed, the tank would fill until water came out of the vent.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Sounds like the issue we'd had with our Anderson Kantleak water selector valve. The o-rings in the valve can get out of position if the selector is moved under pressure which allows water to flow differently than selected. If your rig has this, all you have to do is pull the selector out an repair/replace the o-rings. Lubricate it with silicone grease.

Alan & Kathleen

2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH

2014 F350 DRW 6.7L Diesel

2012 Goldwing Navi/ABS

We had ours do the same thing last year. After thinking about the cause, I went to a local hardware store, purchased a check valve and two shark bite adapters to thread on to both ends of the check valve. I installed the check valve into the fresh tank side of the water pump. Works like a charm. The check valve is pictured in the lower left of the photo.

convenience%20center%20plumbing2_zpsybgm

Thanks everyone.

I don't find an external valve. City water inlet flows through a T connector to the fresh water tank. The other part of the T connector comes from the water pump which is obviously after the fresh water tank. The third part of the T connector goes to the faucets etc. It must be something internal in the pump allowing the fresh city water to flow through the pump into the tank. I will probably try installing an external valve between the T connector and the pump to prevent the fresh water from flowing through the pump.

Thanks again everybody for the expertise and the pictures.

OOps sorry folks, Correction my fresh water tank fill line runs directly to the fresh water tank not through the T connector. The city water inlet runs through the T connector. What can I say, long day. Hey Kirk, I am going to be away from the forum for about a week. When I return I'll try to have the model of the pump I have and post it.

Thanks again folks.

Archived