Tossed the old CRT TV for a new media center

BigRich

Hi Everyone,

I tossed out the old TV and reworked the big open hole in the cabinetry. I now have a nice 40" smart TV, Windows 10 computer and gaming system for the grand-kids. About two hours actual time start to finish.

This is the original cabinet:

originaltv.jpg

I pulled the old TV and took off the cabinet frame. I put 1/2" ply on the back of the frame and painted the front black. I then added a solid TV wall mount. I put two extra screws in the top of the mount just in case.

20170116_150803.jpg

Then I put two 12" piano hinges so I could open and close the door. I have a brass catch on the right side that locks it closed and I put in two dowel pins for a snug fit.

20170114_215101.jpg

20170116_150708.jpg

I then installed a Windows 10 computer with a DVD drive. I modified the case to include a shock absorbent drive and screwed the computer to the base. I bought a wireless keypad/mouse.

computer.jpg

Next I put in an ABC switch so I can easily switch from my King Dome satellite dish, to the park cable, or my 50 mile digital antenna. The feed is split out to the rear bedroom as well with a booster.

AVwires.jpg

This is the final result. I have wireless computing, TV, DVD and a Sega wireless game system for the kids.

20170120_140204_1.jpg

20170120_140932.jpg

Total time, about two or three hours. Total cost, $35.

rtrvgbanner_1.jpg
http://rtrvg.com/blog/
2004 Coachman, F-53, 36'

Nice job!

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Then , you may be good to go .

Still , I'd check it once in a while just to be sure .

We had components that I thought didn't produce heat , so I left that cabinet closed . That was until one evening I wanted to change settings and was surprised at the amount of heat that was built up . Now , I leave the door open when there is power to that cabinet as there isn't a decent way to vent otherwise .

Goes around , comes around .

Archived