Wi-Fi extenders/repeaters

lasttruck

Our park is currently running a total of 500mbps of cable provided bandwidth connected to an open mesh system. The system is shared equally between leaseholders and visitors/guests and password protected with pre-shared authentication.

While we have multiple repeaters set up (and evaluating for more), some users who are in signal restrictive RVs still have trouble getting a signal, even 50' feet away from a gateway or repeater and in a direct line of sight.

Our system uses dual band gateways (currently 3) and repeaters (currently 11) that have a 600' range. Of course, trees, buildings, etc., affect that range.

Those that have problems are typically in a metal skinned RV (class B, airstream, etc.) and/or have heat reflective (metal impregnated) window film.

What we are looking for is a Wi-Fi extender or repeater (similar, but do work differently) that we can recommend to users if they need one. Cost of course is a factor, but finding something that does not rebroadcast a strong radio signal is important.

One of our committee members tried a TP Link extender that rebroadcast a signal on a different channel that caused some interference with the Wi-Fi network.

One user is using this: https://www.amazon.com/Hawking-Technology-Radio-Repeater-HW2R1/dp/B002SYUP60/ref=s9_simh_gw_g147_i1_r?_encoding=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=32AYPBB6TCVXH43ND7ZK&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=b13ec477-194d-4f63-971b-ca6229de96a2&pf_rd_i=desktop

which has worked well and causes no radio interference. Her rig is a class B and she placed the device up in the overhead window with direct line of sight to a repeater two lots over.

So, are there decent AND affordable repeaters that we can suggest users purchase if they desire?

Thanks ahead for the ideas!

Jim & Vickie
'07 F150
'10 Chalet XL1935
Chimacum, Wa

Evergreen Coho SKP Park Website:

http://www.evergreencohoskprvpark.com/

Evergreen Coho SKP on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evergreen-Coho-SKP-RV-Park/563601217103332

We have been using a Ubiquiti Bullet and an omnidirectional antenna on both our boat and RV with excellent results. We often pull in wifi signals from a couple of miles away. There are some that make claims about picking up signals 10 or 20 miles away. Don't believe it. The bullet and antenna needs to be mounted on the outside of the unit and a cat5 cable run to a computer or router. You can make a permanent mount like ours or mount it on a pole and put it up an down as needed. The entire system can be put together for under $100.00. There are prepackaged systems out there that sell for hundreds of dollars for the convenience. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

Those that have problems are typically in a metal skinned RV (class B, airstream, etc.) and/or have heat reflective (metal impregnated) window film.

Metal-skinned RVs are always going to be a problem since the shell of the RV acts as a pretty good Faraday cage. Relying on a single device inside the RV to solve the problem is going to always be problematic.

IMHO the best way to solve this problem is a two-part solution with a rooftop unit coupled with an indoor one. I can't speak to other manufacturers but WiFiRanger provides such systems at several different price points.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

...IMHO the best way to solve this problem is a two-part solution with a rooftop unit coupled with an indoor one. I can't speak to other manufacturers but WiFiRanger provides such systems at several different price points...

I thought some of the WifiRanger products like the Mobile, Sky and Elite could function as stand alone products located outside the RV that functioned as a high powered repeater that could be connect to by multiple devices by Wifi. I also seem to recall that at least some of them had at least one LAN port on the interior power supply. Is this no longer the case. The WifiRanger website appears to only offer packages including both an outdoor and an interior unit.

Does anyone know of any discount codes for purchasing the Wifi Ranger, I thought I heard somewhere that there was a discount for doing an upgrade but I don't know where to look

A 25% upgrade discount was available throughout the month of January. Sorry if you missed it.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

I thought some of the WifiRanger products like the Mobile, Sky and Elite could function as stand alone products located outside the RV that functioned as a high powered repeater that could be connect to by multiple devices by Wifi. I also seem to recall that at least some of them had at least one LAN port on the interior power supply. Is this no longer the case. The WifiRanger website appears to only offer packages including both an outdoor and an interior unit.

For a variety of reasons we no longer sell the Sky and Elite models unless they are coupled to one of the indoor routers. Although there are several reasons for doing this, one key one is that if the EliteAC were to be connected to an 5.8GHz access point it would rebroadcast the private network on the 5.8GHz band ONLY. This could be a problem for users who have a mix of 2.4GHZ and 5.8GHz equipment.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

For a variety of reasons we no longer sell the Sky and Elite models unless they are coupled to one of the indoor routers. Although there are several reasons for doing this, one key one is that if the EliteAC were to be connected to an 5.8GHz access point it would rebroadcast the private network on the 5.8GHz band ONLY. This could be a problem for users who have a mix of 2.4GHZ and 5.8GHz equipment.

That is a very good reason to hold the line. It would cause mass chaos to try to explain that to most users. :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived