Texas Domicile Question

We are in the process of selling our Home in Coryell County Texas where we are currently registered to vote, and have our DL's and vehicle registrations. Our 5th wheel will most likely be bought in Texas and will be registered in Texas either in this county or Bell County where my parents live (depends on whether we buy the 5er before or after selling our home)

The question, is it possible to maintain our domicile in Harker Heights, TX as far as registering vehicles, DL's and voting but use the mail forwarding service out of Livingston for all other matters? I don't want to burden my mom and dad with all our mail but I used their address for the 20 years I was in the Army to keep things simple. is it possible to do this as a civilian fulltimer?

Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 CCLB DRW

5th Wheel: 2017 Salem Hemisphere Lite 356QB

Two parents, three kids, two dumb dogs. Full-time since 01 April 2017

It is as long as you use the address of your parents on your registrations and driver's licenses. You should also use it on your vehicle insurance and perhaps health insurance just to be sure. The paperwork for renewals will then go to that address, everything else you just have sent to the mail service address. Of course, you do have to join Escapees RV Club to use their mail service but you will find a lot of other good benefits from the membership. If you do move everything to Livingston, it would also mean changing your voter registration, but all of that can be done by mail and phone since you are already a TX resident. It is really very easy to move your domicile within the state of TX and unless there is some significant reason not to move all to Polk County, it might be beneficial to do so. One major advantage to Polk registration is jury duty as they pretty much automatically release members of Escapees from service.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 4 weeks later...

Kirk, you brought up a very good point that I never once considered, Jury Duty. I was just called up (but I won't get actually called as a Retired LEO they tell me to leave the first day) and if I were traveling, I would have to come all the way back here, even if just for one day. So many things to consider, not just turn the key and drive off into the sunset....

Jeff and Diane

HouselessNotHomeless

I support the "Thin Blue Line"

• 1 month later...

We just sold our place and are putting whatever we're going to keep in storage - we've got to be out by the 1st of May.   We've got an Escapees membership with mail service and are planning on going full time in our travel trailer.   I have started changing addresses on our various accounts and have found that some of these firms do not want me to use a personal mail box as an address.   I've managed to get a couple of them to take the Escapees address when I told them that was a close as they were going to get to a permanent address.   On other accounts, I just changed the mailing address and left the residence address alone (for now).

Me question is, have any of you who are on Social Security/Medicare had any problem using the Escapees mail room address as your primary address?    I've looked at their online address change page and they have a place to enter a new mailing address but then they ask if this new address will also be my residence.  I'm hesitant to say it is my residence if they do an address verification and decide it's a mail box.

Thanx for any info.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Couple quick questions on this topic:

1-Full timers as of today.  Have Escapee mail service.  TX insurance lined up.

Insurance people say I must have vehicle and 5 th registered with plates within 30 days.  Drivers licenses to be gotten after registration and plates.

Storing house "stuff" in Georgetown,TX.

now in Tucson, so can I get registration done in closest TX city (El Paso)?

Beside mail service address, what other documents needed?  We can bring passports and AZ drivers licenses.  We know 5th must be weighed and titles and registration will be needed

any other ideas from your experience?

Thanks much

newbee full timers Bob & Beth

Call Polk County Tax Office  http://co.polk.tx.us/default.aspx?Polk_County/County.Assessor.Collector  (936-327-6801) and they will walk you through the registration process.  Then you can drive over to Anthony, Tx (ElPaso) and get your new DL

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Archived