Blake Richards

phoenix2013

Blake Richards is an individual I purchased my truck from 10 years ago.

It was a surprise to hear from Blake this morning and reminisce about the "old days". These days he still sells semis, he still gets the occasional RVer to take care of and he is thinking about having a truck "ready with an ET" for that purpose. He talked about a possible "candidate" for that purpose. http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trucks/for-sale/17366211/2013-volvo-vnl62t430 he has a bunch of these. I was totally unaware that Volvo produced these. Check the pictures of the rear axle on these, it's just a tube. Even though these are tandem they only have one axle that is driven, the front one. Guess what, singling these is almost a nonevent.

I know that vouching for anyone is risky, however, all I can say that my experience dealing with Blake was exemplary and he has a long history of supplying trucks to RVers. Incidentally, my "budget" back then was $32,000. He found me a reliable and good looking truck that I still drive ten years later, within that budget.

Those would definitely be a simple conversion over to RV service.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

That depends on the state, but I can't see why not, if you meet the "four out seven" criteria.

I thought it was 5 of the 6? (Can't find the list right now...)

Separate Climate control - Maybe factory installed?

Shore Power - check, easy enough.

Food Storage - Fridge might be a challenge with the bunk right behind the seats.

Food Preparation - Mounting a microwave would be the same problem as the fridge

Porta Pottie - Probably not

Running water - Probably not

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

I have the Truck Fridge TF36 under my bunk in my 430, I believe I could have built and ice box instead in my province. I think you could fabricate a shelf above your feet in the sleeper for the microwave (mine is still in one of the boxes under the bed with the Webasto bunk heater and inverter. I think if you got creative you might even get a sink and faucet beside the micro on the shelf if you really needed it in your state. The 430 comes in single bunk only so unless you are newlyweds you are only sleeping one at a time if you actually use it as a motorhome. Definitely not as easy to do as the larger sleepers but should be possible most states. Best of all it is almost 3 feet shorter than a 780 for those concerned about overall length.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

This just an idea. You could put the microwave in the storage box behind the drivers seat. The refrigerator could under the bed between the sides of the storage boxes. Just make sure the frig is not to tall. My first truck was a 420.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

My truck is registered as a motorhome in New Hampshire. The four:

1. Porta potty, bought in Walmart, cassette type. Parked in bottom compartment, never used in 10 years

2. Shore power, going into a breaker panel and powering outlets in the cab

3. Microwave, smallest one I could find sitting on the shelf.

4. Fridge, originally AC powered dorm type, then I found a truck one +12VDC powered

You are going to wind up with about a 170" wheelbase when you are done, if that is what you are after. Non powered axles on tandem setups are built by everybody now. In the old days a " tag" axle was strictly aftermarket, guys would dump the air on the dead axle and really get some traction on the drive axle. Of course they overloaded them with that stunt.

No oem manufacturer will build them that way for that reason. Various states have outlawed the practice, particularly Illinois because of uneven weights on the tandems. All air pressures on all 4 bags must be equal when the oem builds them.

They get stuck easily which is why they are not popular except with fleets willing to pay to get them unstuck. They are more fuel and weight efficient.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

If you singled this truck would you single mid? How many feet of usable deck space do you think you would end up with a fifth wheel? I think this truck would be perfect for me. I want to put two motorcycles on the deck in a box of some kind and pull a fifth wheel. My wife likes a 40 footer and I would hope I could get this to 65 foot. Does anyone know? Thanks Ron

national rally 2021.jpg

I think the point of those is to single short. You back the rear axle off the edge of the loading dock, roll the metal dumpster underneath, cut in front of each of the rear frame brackets, and kerplunk, she's done. It really is that easy (but don't do it exactly that way...). They'll cut a lot of labor out of the job. If you want a custom wheelbase, etc, they aren't going to save you a whole lot. You might as well have the job done on your perfect 6x4 truck at that point.

Their weight transfer between air bags for traction on them is done via the ABS. You spin, then wait a couple of secs for it to change the air around, then you go. They re-equalize themselves shortly later. The black valve you used to have to hold in on the dash quit being used OEM in the early 2000's. This, of course, is another thing you have to deal with when reconfiguring your ABS though.

This is similar to my older WIA42. NO problem getting stuff in...you just remove the bunk. Fridge, seats, little table, microwave, etc. Makes a nice little traveling space...you sleep in the camper!

I did basically What Phoenix did...tiny microwave and a portapotty. Neither was ever used.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

Archived