Satellite System

Mr. Camper

We were looking at the King Tailgater system and having no prior experience with satellites were surprised to find that it only weighed 8 pounds. Of course we've seen many rv'ers with satellite dishes mounted on top of their RV or on a tripod at the end of their site. In fact, we've seen a couple of tripod mounted ones sent flying by a (too) fast moving RV going around a tight turn on a campground road. That said, how do you folks who have a satellite system keep it from being stolen? I'm not willing to have it mounted to the TT roof. Over the last 10 or so years we've seen an increase in the theft of bikes, coolers and other items left outside and not locked up. Locks only keep honest people honest, but is there a good way to secure a domed satellite like the Tailgater that I'm not yet aware of? Any sound ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Haven't been RVing much have you. Theft is not something you worry about for things like satellite domes. RVing is a world of good people.

Besides, the value of a satellite dome at the hock shop is not very much.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I am sure someone somewhere must have had a satellite dish stolen, but in 11 years of full timing I never heard of it happening or knew anyone it happened to. It would not be on my list of concerns.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

I also have the King Tailgater. I use the tripod and also bought the window bracket from Camping World. On a real windy day I'll use the bracket in the driver or passenger side window. I made a screen window insert to keep the bugs out when mounted in the window. When at a rv park I'll leave mine out on the tripod, no worries.Know your surroundings also, when in dault bring it in.

RVing may be "a world of good people," but there are plenty of folks who use public campgrounds (state parks, National Forest campgrounds, etc.) that aren't RVers and don't fit that mold. We use a Winegard Pathway X2 antenna with Dish For My RV service. I use a long security cable and padlock to secure the antenna when I set it up. If we're going to be someplace for more than a night or two (as we are now for a month in New Mexico), I put the antenna on top of the southernmost slide to get it out of the way. It would be harder for someone to get to it up there, but I still use the security cable.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

"Trust in Allah but tie up your camel." is an old Arab proverb that probably applies as much today as then. Like the others, I haven't heard of any portable domes being stolen, but there's certainly no harm in securing one to something immovable. And a fast moving RV blowing over a tripod mounted dish just tells me it wasn't very well anchored in the first place. Ours has withstood 60 mph winds without budging...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

"Trust in Allah but tie up your camel." is an old Arab proverb that probably applies as much today as then. Like the others, I haven't heard of any portable domes being stolen, but there's certainly no harm in securing one to something immovable. And a fast moving RV blowing over a tripod mounted dish just tells me it wasn't very well anchored in the first place. Ours has withstood 60 mph winds without budging...

Just to clarify, I didn't mean the RV blew the satellite over. I meant that the RV driver was going too fast on the campground road and HIT the tripod and sent it and the satellite flying. Sorry if that was misleading.

Just to clarify, I didn't mean the RV blew the satellite over. I meant that the RV driver was going too fast on the campground road and HIT the tripod and sent it and the satellite flying. Sorry if that was misleading.

Ok, that makes a bit more sense, although I've never had to set our tripod up close enough to a roadway to worry about it.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Hi,

Thanks to many of you who offered positive suggestions for my concerns. I received an e-mail from someone who steered us towards a platform and bar that attaches to my RV's ladder. He suggested that Amazon had something that would work for us. We did, it does and we plan to order it. Again, many thanks to those who made positive suggestions to help us.

Do what you feel you need to do. We have had the sat system on the road for 10 years both a tripod and now a portable Dome. We have never had a theft problem in fact we have never had a thief problem with anything.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

• 2 weeks later...

That said, how do you folks who have a satellite system keep it from being stolen?

In all of our years of RV travels, we have only one time stayed in an RV park where that was a problem and in that one the park management was aware of a problem of theft from outside of residents from the neighborhood. In that case we were warned about the problem when we checked into the park. We traveled with a portable dish system for many years and I never locked it to anything, and we have left lawn chairs, coolers, and a host of other things as well as the storage bays unlocked, but no theft has been experienced to date. The point being that most of us find no need for such precautions.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

27,553 posts! If you spent that much time in and around your RV it appears a good way to make sure nobody has an opportunity to take anything you leave outside. If you look again at my original post it asked for ideas to secure a dome without securing it to the roof. I didn't ask for comments about never having had something stolen that was left outside. I do congratulate you for your good fortune over your years of RVing. Again, thanks to those who offered positive suggestions. As I previously stated we found an attachment for our RV ladder that will solve our concerns.

Archived