New Carpet Installation Tips

Kevin H

We are getting ready to put new carpeting in our Montana 5th wheel. We considered laminate and vinyl but decided to stick with carpet. I am wondering about the actual installation process. Has anyone used the tackless strips that are common in S&B installations? I am concerned about slide clearances. If you did not use it, or do not recommend it, what method is best for attaching it along walls?

Along the same thoughts - does anyone have a good and experienced installer they recommend in the southern US from Alabama/west Florida anywhere to Las Vegas and on up to Salt Lake City? We can make arrangements to have it done when we migrate west and north.

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

For the slide carpet, I used a staple gun along the back edges and sides. If you have a high nap carpet then the staples won't show, for a short nap, I had to pry the staples up a little so the staple dentation didn't show. You only need a couple of staples to hold the carpet in place, it's not like a big room in a house that needs to be stretched and held in place. For the front edge, I let the carpet loose, but you could use double sided tape, your choice.

Greg

Have you considered commercial carpet? I am looking into it after doing the whole main area with laminate. I used 12mm and it is too thick for the slides to work properly, but carpet and pad were removed so now I have found a type of commercial carpet that I like and am looking that way. Also, commercial carpet squares are very easy to install and come in a large array of patterns and styles as well as colors.

Marcel

Unless you are SURE you have had no leaks- I would pull up the edges near any windows to see if you have water damage before you turn a carpet guy loose on it so it gets fixed. My guy used tackless at the outer edges, and staples (SMALL) at the interior edges like slides. Be sure he uses either brass or SS, rust spots may crop up due to dampness in the air at some point. He bound the edge of the carpet where the slide comes in before he put it down. Good luck! You might consider calling a boat upholstery place too, they are used to putting carpet in small non-geometric places.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

Kevin , Ernie in Weatherford Tx is good and he is always busy. He does mostly engineered wood but told us he will do carpet. Look for on other rv sites. There is another guy in Tucson I think his name is Chuck you can find him on rv carpet sites.

Archived