Anyone go from Class C to 5th?

The Gapers

Hi all, we are new full-timers. We are currently in a C class--a 24' Winnebago View towing a Subaru Crosstrek. Now I'm second guessing that decision. Has anyone gone from C class to 5th? Did you love it? Regret it? A bit of both?

I like aspects of the C class:

1) Short & narrow rig (we are 46' long and 7' wide)--easy to pull into grocery stores, gas stations, and smallish campsites.

2) 2 vehicles--in case my husb and I need to go separate ways for the day. I still work. I suppose we could rent car, get a motorcycle, or get a smart car.

I'm envying these aspects of 5th wheel living:

1) Bigger holding tanks

2) Enclosed and heated holding tanks--we love winter.

3) Garage for our oodles of gear. Our bikes are rusting.

We love to boondock in the mountains and desert so I think a 5th would be much better for us than a Class A. I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts or advice. Thanks so much!

Sounds like you answered your own questions!

We had a class C, but it was so cramped, no storage. We towed a car on a dolly but was a pain to hook up.

We had a f350 sitting at home, so sold the mh and bought a 34' 5er. 3 slides and lots of space.

The ONLY negative is the parking of the truck. But used to this now.

Overall best decision I have made.

Kimberly Flores, Trail Boss and Wagon Master
Jesse Flores, Coxswain, Shotgun Shipmate
Wagon mates: Cinnamon, Mini Schnauzer
2017 F350 Lariat Dually
2018 Keystone Fuzion 371 Toy Hauler
LovetheRVlife.com

I had a small Class C which I bought used. I was told by the previous owner "Plan on pulling into the Hilton every third night"

The little class C is wonderful for the short trips but the FW is my choice long trips or just being a winter Texan.

Clay with 40 foot FW

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

We had a Class C and went to a TT for a few years before settling on our fifth wheel. At that time in our lives, the Class C was a BIG mistake. You can't beat the convenience of a Class C but we got sooooo much more for our money going to the fifth.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

We had our class C for 11 years and really liked it but when it came time to go full time we knew we wanted a fifth wheel. It's just so much roomier, more like a home and so much more storage. I do miss the convenience of being able to move about the house portion while traveling, but as fulltimers we don't travel as long of distance a day or as many days in a row before stopping somewhere. So that's just not a big deal anymore. There were several must haves on our list and only a fifth wheel could fulfill them.

Vicki

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 

We sold our sailboat that we had lived on for 18 years (just got too old to do all the work), and like many of our fellow retired cruisers, bought a RV. For us the Winnebago View 23 J worked. These are travel rigs, and that is what we did for 3 years. Very easy to park in front of kids houses, and come and go with ease. Even went to SanCarlos in Mexico. Eventually, it gets crowded and we were visiting our storage at least 3 or 4 times a year. Plus the fact we were really interested in volunteering at state parks on the west coast (and we did not have a toad). So bought a smaller fifth wheel and a ford truck. What a change, did not Ike the trailer, too short for a full queen size bed, and other issues, so traded for an Artic Fox 29.5 about 18 months ago. Very happy, meets our needs. However, not nearly as easy to drive, not traveling nearly as much, cannot park in front of kids houses etc. So, many trade offs, but it does suit our current life style as we are now volunteering at OR state parks for 5 months a year. There is a lot to learn about towing, talk to as many fifth wheelers as you can before buying a rig. And get inputs on models and sizes, as usual we are learning the hard way!! Good luck.

Yep, tried it, took one trip pulling the 5th wheel, being restricted as to where we could go, the PITA to find a place to pull over to use the facilities &&&. But, it depends on you, and what you want in your travels.

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

Archived