Interstate 10

tinstartrvlr

I just ran from Baton Rouge to Houston today and I cant see what everyone is talking about bad roads. They were OK for me. There was one place around Lafayette that was wash board for about 6 miles and then a little rough around Lake Charles by some construction, but I sure wouldn't go out of my way to miss those couple of spots.

It was raining some of the way, maybe I was hydroplaning and didn't feel the bumps :D

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

We did most of I10 from Gulf Shore to where we picked up I35 last year. Not as bad as some would have you believe. But we were in a pickup. Now how about I20 through Shreveport. I35 Through Oklahoma City. I65 through Nashville. How about most of I90?

My point being that we can all find fault with some part of most roads.

And how about all the old turnpikes up north east. And how about .......... And what about .........? And on and on it goes. But the great thing is that those darn back roads are much prettier and just as safe and just as fast.

I did US-84 across to avoid the flooding farther south. It was a bit bouncy and slow but was far better than high-speed bone-jarring-crash I-10. A lot of I-10 is fine...until it isn't.

-C&J-

CG reviews & more - www.fugawetribe.com

I was raised in the area you are discussing. My son and his family lived in Baton Rouge, and we have traveled from Houston to Baton Rouge pretty regularly. You will pick up the Atchafalaya River basin causeway bridge just east of Lafayette, and it will be pretty good on in to Baton Rouge where you hit I12. Right around the Sulphur area it starts to get rough and it has always been that way as far back as I remember. I haven't driven that route in my RV, but will be going down to both Crowley and Sulphur in it in March and will update on my post here.

In all honesty, we did a trip last summer from Dallas to Buffalo down to Asheville back to Memphis to Little Rock and back down to Dallas. There were spots all along the route that were IMHO worse than I10, and in particular in Missouri, Indiana and Illinois, with the absolute worst being on I40 just west of Memphis.

So bad for us because we always towing our home when we travel there. My dually was overloaded on rear and rode like a rail. Not bad driving a truck or car itself. Rough but not jaw jarring. Towing bad

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Thanks everyone. Some varied opinions but overall it seems I-10 really does suck most of the way.

I have till the end of March to come up with an alternate, if possible, to avoid I-10 as much as possible. I have had stress related issues in the past (my camper, not me) due to extremely bumpy/bad roads, and don't really want to have those problems again.

I have till the end of March to think of an alternate route. Wonder if there is a ferry from Galveston to Tampa.....!

Ya just can't RV without a hitch.....!

From western Louisiana to Beaumont, TX the highway is constructed differently because it's over swamp. Yes, you'll find it a little rougher feeling than other highways but it's not that bad... just know the end is in sight. :) It's certainly not bad enough to go out of your way to avoid it and drive slower.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I just ran from Baton Rouge to Houston today and I cant see what everyone is talking about bad roads.

I think Louisiana has been improving I-10 bit by bit but our memories are so horrible we are having trouble updating them. :)

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

If anyone is taking 190, it's worth it to stop in Eunice, LA and listen to some Cajun jammin'. In the past, if you pop into the local music store on Saturday morning there will be a jam session. Saturday night was the live radio show with more good music. Love that happy music!!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Well, I think we have decided that we will take I-10 to TX 12 up to Hwy 190 and across to re-join I-10/I-12. We will miss most of the bad stuff we hope, and we don't mind taking longer, driving slower and stopping in little towns.

That is likely the route I will take as well. Not in a hurry.

Check bridge clearances.

Do you know of any particular low bridges, or is that just a sensible general suggestion? I am well under 12 ft so I don't worry tooo much about it, but I have seen some 10 foot clearances in small towns...

Ya just can't RV without a hitch.....!

I don't know of any other than LA 8 I believe but better safe than sorry. Some of those roads in Louisiana can result in a mighty long way to back up if there's not enough clearance.

-C&J-

CG reviews & more - www.fugawetribe.com

If you have a truckers (Motor Carrier) atlas it has clearance info. We have had no clearance issues

with 190 in LA and we are 13'2". 190 and 12 are both truck routes from Baton Rouge to Beaumont, no

clearance issues. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

IH 10 from the Texas border to a few exits east of Lake Charles has been

repaved and should no longer be a problem. I, with a 38 foot fiver, don't have

the experience that a lot of you detailed above. It gets a little bumpy on the elevated

east of Lafayette. The speed limit on the elevated is 55 mph. Good Luck

Archived