Forest River Sierra/Sandpiper 365SAQB

skidsareforkids

We are really considering making the above mentioned 5th wheel our home for the next year. Now we're down to the new or used debate, and we're fairly certain we want the Polar Tech Package to gain the additional insulation in the floors and ceilings and more importantly the upgraded windows. From the research I've been able to do both of these model lines are made in the same plant and other than colors and fabrics they are the exact same.

Specs from 2017 show it with a hitch weight of 2,197lb, and UVW of 13,103lb, and a GVWR of 15,500lb. My truck is a '16 Ram 3500 CCLB DRW with 3.42 gears. Ram lists the max towing capacity at 16,600. I can step up to 18,600 by having 3.73's put in it but I really want to keep the 3.42's as the truck will be our get around vehicle when it's unloaded and I want to capitalize on any fuels savings I can. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this combination.

Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 CCLB DRW

5th Wheel: 2017 Salem Hemisphere Lite 356QB

Two parents, three kids, two dumb dogs. Full-time since 01 April 2017

• 1 month later...

So we're not getting a Sandpiper 365SAQB.  We just couldn't find a used one we like or a new one that was in our price range.  We ended up going with another Forest River product a 2017 Salem Hemisphere Lite 356QB.  The giant bunkhouse and full second bathroom really sealed the deal for us.  The construction is on par with all FR products with the cabinetry/trim not quite as well put together as the Sandpiper/Sierra.  It's a beast, 42' and 11,250 UVW.  My dad and I are going down to do the PDI and pick it up on the 22nd.

Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 CCLB DRW

5th Wheel: 2017 Salem Hemisphere Lite 356QB

Two parents, three kids, two dumb dogs. Full-time since 01 April 2017

Archived