Trouble Boondocking Along I-8 Near Gila Bend or Ajo, AZ?

LiveWorkDream

I'm curious if anyone has ever had issues boondocking along I-8 near Gila Bend or around Ajo, AZ.

We pulled over onto state land/BLM area last night and within an hour a BLM ranger came by to warn us that it's a drug trafficking area, that we may see people wandering through at night and they might even approach our RV. Then he says "And I hope you have a big gun with you too."

Then I asked, "Well would you consider Ajo to be just as dangerous?" and he says "Without a doubt." Knowing that many SKPs go there (and we have too), at that point I realized he might have been slightly overstating the risk.

We've stayed in Southern AZ & TX areas with signs warning about illegal activity and never had an issue before. Just wondering if anything has changed recently?

Rene & Jim
Exploring North America since 2007. SKP #103,274

Nothing has changed. It's always been an illegal corridor as are many parts of the southern states. However, there are many boondockers using those lands over and over again. We have friends in Ajo right now. Just be aware. I think his statement about a big gun was definitely the wrong thing to say.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We've boondocked numerous times in Ajo at the Roping Arena without problems. We've also boondocked along I-8 without problems despite signs warning of it being a drug trafficking area. We've never seen anyone during the day, and if they've gone through at night, they haven't bothered us.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

My opinion, we should always have that big gun in the RV, particularly when boondocking. There is a saying "when seconds count, the police are minutes away". That would be for a city. When you are out in the middle of nowhere, when seconds count the police could be hours away.

My opinion, we should always have that big gun in the RV, particularly when boondocking. There is a saying "when seconds count, the police are minutes away". That would be for a city. When you are out in the middle of nowhere, when seconds count the police could be hours away.

x2. Its like having a fire extinguisher. It will take a long time for the fire truck to get there to put out the fire. I always carry a fire extinguisher. I know how to aim it and how to shoot it and hope I never have too. It will take a long time for law enforcement to get there. I always have a gun. I know how to aim it and how to shoot it and hope I never have to.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

X3. This is the west. Lots of stuff goes on that you don't hear about much. Recent example being the local Highway Patrolmen that was shot for no reason out in the middle of nowhere, or the rabid wildcat that was attacking people. When you are the only lights or people for miles you are a prime target. It's your responsibility to be able to protect yourself from both other people and the wild life. Be trained and practice just to be safe. We never leave home with out our weapon. Even when we are on the Harleys'.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

We are interested in boondocking in the Ajo or Wye area. Any boondocking sites anyone cares to share. How about ATV riding in the area.

Thanks....Jim

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

As I stated above, we've stayed at the Roping Arena in Ajo. There is a small charge...$3/day, $18/week, $25/mo. We've also stayed at the Ajo Regional Park which is free.

In Why, we've stayed at Coyote Howls East (West is an RV park). Again, there is a small charge...$9/day, $40/week, $130/mo.

There are some other boondocking sites in both Ajo and Why listed in the Day's End ($15 per year), but we haven't stayed at those places.

I have no idea about ATVing since we don't own an ATV.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

• 1 month later...

Well we are now south of Why in the 14 day boondocking blm area. No problem getting big rigs in and its nice here.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Archived