New Mapping Program

SWharton

National Geographic just listed 10 useful travel apps. One of them interested me. maps.me, for Android and Apple. The maps are downloaded to your phone. Since we have all encountered where our phones won't work I am always interested in being self-contained. Previously we only had copilot but now there is another player. I have downloaded the app but don't have enough bandwidth to download the US and Canada(I'll do that this weekend). Here is the blurb from NG.

In case there’s ever an issue with cellular data while abroad, this free app lets you download detailed, off-line maps to your device. Aside from offering turn-by-turn navigation for driving, walking, or biking to an address or select location, each map of a destination features different and useful search tools to see what’s nearby, including points of interest, hotels, and ATMs.

I installed it on my 8" LG tablet, which is on AT&T wireless, and will see how it works.. (I am downloading the app and maps on wifi).

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Points of interest will take some time to be useful. Very few so far.

Roy

2011 GMC 3500 SRW CC, SB, Duramax/Allison
2008 HitchHiker LS 29.5 FKTG, 7000lb axles, Glide Ride, HD brakes, dual pane windows, 40" Panasonic, Magnadyne HTS, PD surge protector, etc.
Mods: 5 gal pressure tank, Motosat dish, plumbing reworked, inside steps storage, SeeLevel tank gauges, Rear view camera, major changes to basement.

My main interest is the maps. I still travel with paper maps as backup but can see that they may not be around in the future(a big loss) but also don't want to be dependent on the internet for maps. Now we have Copilot, Base Camp(I find hard to use) and maps.me. I wouldn't expect a "hard copy" map program would be vibrant in POIs etc. Too hard to maintain and keep up to date.

National Geographic just listed 10 useful travel apps. One of them interested me. maps.me, for Android and Apple. The maps are downloaded to your phone. Since we have all encountered where our phones won't work I am always interested in being self-contained. Previously we only had copilot but now there is another player. I have downloaded the app but don't have enough bandwidth to download the US and Canada(I'll do that this weekend). Here is the blurb from NG.

In case there’s ever an issue with cellular data while abroad, this free app lets you download detailed, off-line maps to your device. Aside from offering turn-by-turn navigation for driving, walking, or biking to an address or select location, each map of a destination features different and useful search tools to see what’s nearby, including points of interest, hotels, and ATMs.

Worrying about not having cellular is why we keep our TomTom updated. That way we have satellite service and with the traffic radio alerts on it, we don't really worry. Plus, get a new Wal-Mart US Atlas every 2-3 yrs

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

So doesGoogle maps. They call them "Offline Maps" and they do contain some POI info, too.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Well, I downloaded this to my tablet. I must say at first blush I am totally underwhelmed. I decided to test it out on a route we have driven many times from our house in Colorado Springs to our daughter's home in an Austin, TX suburb.

I will play with it more, but it doesn't seem to like searching for a specific address. I can get the destination by zooming in and then tapping the location. That aside, I had it calculate the route and the travel time surprised me. I realized that I had not changed the distance to miles in the settings so I fixed that and then had it recalculate the route. Nope, same time. The time it says is 28h 45min. I can tell you that number is almost exactly double the amount of time it takes us to drive it.

I will continue to play with it but at this point it is two thumbs down.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Google Maps:
Sounds good in theory but we have tried Google Maps off line and have given up. We would put together a route, send it off line and on the phone/tablet Google maps would change the routing to the fastest and would not add any way points. Not very useful. The other problem with Google maps is you need to pre-download the maps you might be interested in.

I am looking for something that will always be on my phone/tablet in case I need it.

We use the ALK CoPilot android RV version. Cost $50. Downloads to the device, only use network for download.. Lots of POIs and trip options.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Well, I downloaded this to my tablet. I must say at first blush I am totally underwhelmed. I decided to test it out on a route we have driven many times from our house in Colorado Springs to our daughter's home in an Austin, TX suburb.

I will play with it more, but it doesn't seem to like searching for a specific address. I can get the destination by zooming in and then tapping the location. That aside, I had it calculate the route and the travel time surprised me. I realized that I had not changed the distance to miles in the settings so I fixed that and then had it recalculate the route. Nope, same time. The time it says is 28h 45min. I can tell you that number is almost exactly double the amount of time it takes us to drive it.

I will continue to play with it but at this point it is two thumbs down.

Chalkie, I have not used this app, but perhaps it works like MS Streets and Trips and defaults to add an overnight stop at a set time of day. I think the default time for MS Streets and Trips might be as early as 5 PM. Or maybe I set that time. So if I sit down to plan a route at say 3 pm and don't adjust the start time, it will assume I am leaving at 3 pm and create a stop point after about 2 hours driving and then continue the next morning at say 8 am. A 200 mile, 4 hr drive, might show as taking 19 hours.

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Well, I could not find any setting that allows for stops. I did try a route closer to home. I tried Colorado Springs to Raton, NM. On average that takes us 2.5 hours. This program says 5h 17min. Again, basically double the time it takes.

I am taking this off my tablet and leaving a 1 star review.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

For Android do a search for Here then in the results select Here We Go Offline Maps and GPS. Read the reviews, try it, let us know what you think. IT does not read the names of the streets but they say its timing to tell you to turn here is superior.

I use Google maps in Android and never a problem as long as I do not pick up the phone while navigating. I use a Jabra Cruiser II Bluetooth in each vehicle for hands free and they also rebroadcast my 90GB of music from the 128GB micros SD card to an empty FM channel very well stopping music for spoken directions and calls then auto resuming. My phones are all mounted in holders in the two cars and the my Cummins Ram 2500, So I did not get those errors mentioned in the reviews until I did try to navigate as a passenger holding the phone and setting it down and picking it up; then I had to start the destination and start the GPS again. On a stand or holder Google maps is perfect never had an issue in moinths.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived