VIP211k Receiver

Hello everybody -

We're trying to sort through all the information/dis-information about satellites, antennas, receivers, etc. For our first antenna, it looks like the Wingard Pathfinder X1 is the one we want. We plan on using Dish TV.

We've seen a couple of bundle deals with the X1 and either the VIP211Z or the Wally receivers. Our travel trailer is set up with a HD TV located at the entertainment center and there are coax cables to 3 remote TV set locations.

The VIP211K receiver has both, an HDMI output port and an RF coax output connector and would appear to be made to order for our setup but, I don't see the VIP211K being promoted very much. I see a lot of used and refurbished 211Ks. Are these receivers still being manufactured? If not, are they going obsolete?

Thanks for any feedback.

Dave

I have a 211k and a 211z receiver currently for my trailer. The Z is the more current version of the two, but the K has more built in hardware features. The K will allow you to send 720p signal downstream to other TV's via coax. All the TV's have to watch the same channel, but it is a convenient way to get signals to other TV's over existing coax runs. I use the K in my living room and also send signal via the coaches coax cables to the bedroom TV (which rarely gets used). I have the Z dedicated to my outside basement TV. I have a Winegard Trav'ler on the roof for my antenna and I have a Winegard Carryout portable dome antenna in case I am stuck in trees or have other access issues for the Trav'ler.

I have considered going to a Hopper Joey setup and dumping the 211's, but then I would also have to dump the Carryout. The Wally's are the even newer single tuner boxes (as Mark Indicated), but I have not heard anything about the 211's going away. The one feature I really like about the Wally's over the 211's is the Wall's have RF remotes. This means the boxes can be hidden out of sight and still work with the remote.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I have a 211k and a 211z receiver currently for my trailer. The Z is the more current version of the two, but the K has more built in hardware features. The K will allow you to send 720p signal downstream to other TV's via coax. All the TV's have to watch the same channel, but it is a convenient way to get signals to other TV's over existing coax runs. I use the K in my living room and also send signal via the coaches coax cables to the bedroom TV (which rarely gets used). I have the Z dedicated to my outside basement TV. I have a Winegard Trav'ler on the roof for my antenna and I have a Winegard Carryout portable dome antenna in case I am stuck in trees or have other access issues for the Trav'ler.

I have considered going to a Hopper Joey setup and dumping the 211's, but then I would also have to dump the Carryout. The Wally's are the even newer single tuner boxes (as Mark Indicated), but I have not heard anything about the 211's going away. The one feature I really like about the Wally's over the 211's is the Wall's have RF remotes. This means the boxes can be hidden out of sight and still work with the remote.

Hi Chad,

It sounds like you have the same coax arrangement that I have. Do you run your living room TV off the HDMI jack with the rest of your TVs on coax?

There are a couple of posts that I have read on other message boards that say the 211k generates a lot of heat - do you have that experience?

It sounds like the 211k would be good for our initial receiver and then, after I've had some time to figure out how these things work, perhaps add additional receiver or change out for a newer one.

Thanks for the feedback.

I highly recommend that you consider an X2 over the X1. The X2 is capable of receiving both the eastern and western arc Dish satellites, greatly expanding your aiming opportunities on treed sites. If you can get one, the VIP211K has another advantage over the 211Z and the Wally. It has a built in OTA tuner that requires an extra cost add-on for the other two, when you can find one. Dish is supposed to be coming out with a new adapter, but it hasn't been seen yet. The old adapters are no longer being made.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I highly recommend that you consider an X2 over the X1. The X2 is capable of receiving both the eastern and western arc Dish satellites, greatly expanding your aiming opportunities on treed sites. If you can get one, the VIP211K has another advantage over the 211Z and the Wally. It has a built in OTA tuner that requires an extra cost add-on for the other two, when you can find one. Dish is supposed to be coming out with a new adapter, but it hasn't been seen yet. The old adapters are no longer being made.

X2^^

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Hi Chad,

It sounds like you have the same coax arrangement that I have. Do you run your living room TV off the HDMI jack with the rest of your TVs on coax?

There are a couple of posts that I have read on other message boards that say the 211k generates a lot of heat - do you have that experience?

It sounds like the 211k would be good for our initial receiver and then, after I've had some time to figure out how these things work, perhaps add additional receiver or change out for a newer one.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I run the living room TV off HDMI so I have full HD picture. When I am using the K, I typically leave the cabinet door open to the compartment where it is installed. I do this for two reasons. One is so the IR remote can be used. The other is to help keep the cabinet (which is fairly small) cool. I also added a USB computer fan to that cabinet for piece of mind. The K has a USB port on it that powers the fan. I have never had an issue with over heating based on this useage.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

In regard to the 211 series availability, when our 3) 301 receivers were declared obsolete early last year, they were replaced with the VIP211k series by Dish.

Teacher's Pet

'06 40' Phaeton QSH 350 Cat.

'04 R-Vision B+ Model 213, 6.0 Chevrolet.

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com

http://map.datastormusers.com/user3.cfm?user=3912

We lost both our 211k boxes several months ago due to a power issue. They are not made any more, and at the time, Camping World did not have the 211z boxes in stock. Turns out, the new Wally boxes are the replacement for the 211z boxes. As was said, the 211z and the Wally boxes do not have a coax connection for an over the air antenna. I ordered two converter dongles, but was informed they are on back order from the manufacturer, hopefully will be delivered in the next month. The Wally boxes are much cooler when operating than the 211k boxes were.

We lost both our 211k boxes several months ago due to a power issue. They are not made any more, and at the time, Camping World did not have the 211z boxes in stock. Turns out, the new Wally boxes are the replacement for the 211z boxes. As was said, the 211z and the Wally boxes do not have a coax connection for an over the air antenna. I ordered two converter dongles, but was informed they are on back order from the manufacturer, hopefully will be delivered in the next month. The Wally boxes are much cooler when operating than the 211k boxes were.

We lost our 211K receiver last October because of the power company down in Big Bend, we went back to Alpine TX to a Dish dealer and got a brand new 211K to replace it. He said he gets them all the time.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

• 3 months later...

Hi all -

I have the VIP211K receiver and it's depth dimension is wider than the narrow shelf in our travel trailer so I installed a wire shelf up high near the TV/entertainment center.   The 211K sits up there OK and the cabling & power cord are readily accessible.

I need to come up with some sort of tie down to keep it in place while we're traveling.   the 211K generates a lot of heat when it's operating so, I'm hesitant to use nylon or polypropylene straps.   I could put them on when traveling and remove them when camping but, that's a pain and it would only take one forget to cause a problem.

Does anyone here use tie downs for their electronics equipment ?   If so, what is a good option that will handle the heat?

Thanx. 

We used the VIP-211K prior to getting a Wally. Both are/were installed inside the cabinet in our entertainment center and both had/have a hard drive installed (the HD also runs hot). I use a regular bungee cord to hold everything down (there's a DVD player involved, too) and have never had a problem with the bungee and the heat.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

I had to install the thing vertically, front side out, and lash it to the wall with a bungee cord. Did that four years ago and all's still well. It's hot even though it's not enclosed.

-C&J-

CG reviews & more - www.fugawetribe.com

Thanks to everybody for the feedback.     I found some small bungees with little metal hooks on each end - the hooks insert into the venting slots that run along the sides of the 211K and the bungee is passed thru the wire shelf & under the receiver with the remaining hook inserted into a vent slot on the other side of the 211K.   Running the bungee below the receiver will avoid the heat that's produced from the top side.

Maybe I have been asking in the wrong place, the Wildcat fifth wheel section? I have a 2015 Wildcat 327 ck. I have had it for two years and last week was the first time that I attempted to use my Tailgater and 211K receiver. I couldn't get it to work. I am sure that it is me and not the equipment. In the cabinet is a coax connection and a HDMI cable along with the DVD/CD/AMFM receiver. I need help with the proper set up. In the under storage are three coax connections. Two are labeled SAT 1 and SAT 2 and the other cable. I have a 40 inch TV in the living room and it works on cable. I have a 32 inch TV in the bedroom and I only get over the air TV on it.? The Tailgater and 211K receiver worked in the last fiver that I had. I use Dish TV service. Thank you in advance for any help that you can give me.

I've had a 211k for a year. Think I found a deal to buy new for $49. Also added a harddrive for DVR when we're away (remember it's a single tuner) or for pause feature. This was a one time $40 fee to activate. Definitely consider the X2. Bigger dish. East or West arc. Huge difference in reception during heavy clouds and rain. 

Jerry and Joan

2014 Ford F350 with 6.7 turbo, TrailerSaver

2014 40' Heartland Gateway Fifth wheel

iLoveRVlife.com

Archived