Would like to sit down and chat

My wife and I are pretty sure we want to fulltime RV (Class A) in 2 to 2-1/2 years when I retire. We were wondering if there are any past or present fulltime RV'rs in the Lancaster, PA area that would be willing to sit down with us and talk some things over????? Not sure if I worded that correctly. Not sure how to post contact info so I guess someone could help me with that.

Thanks,

Dale & Carmen

Sitting down with a full-timer would be ideal. Unfortunately, we're not in that area. However, I'll bet your questions or concerns can be answered on this or any other full-timing forum. Even by searching may give you an answer. You're not alone as many pre-full-timers have probably asked the same questions as you. So..... ask away..... and Welcome!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Another thought, go to a nearby RV Park and ask if there are any full timers there. Most all would probably be willing to talk. You may have to wait till spring time.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Another good way to start research is to read a book or two on the subject of living in an RV. Your public library probably has one or two and you can also find a good selection on Amazon if you wish to purchase one. If you have already done that, try posting some questions here to see if you don't get a good variety of replies.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Another thought, go to a nearby RV Park and ask if there are any full timers there. Most all would probably be willing to talk. You may have to wait till spring time.

My wife and I did this before we went full time 5 years ago.There was a RV park near where we lived and we would just go there and walk our dog through the park. We found people who were fulltime and were willing to take time to chat. Some time they would invite us to see their rig and answer questions that we had.

Dave and Marge

2010 Phaeton Motor Home
Previous Mobile Suites 36 RSSB3 (for sale)
and 2005 FL M2-106 Sport (for sale after 5er sells)

As stated above, plenty of full timers here in forum. Going to be few yrs before i'm at that stage, but best to make a list of things that would need to be done. Mail (snail type). Getting Medical (current doctor). Internet source . When selling house if doing so. what ya going to need to keep an what needs to be tossed in trash. Getting a bank that you can do buisness where ever your going to land up at. This is just a few. many more.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

Find a fulltimer who blogs and scroll back in their timeline to see how they started.

We also sit with friends who are contemplating fulltiming and share our experiences.

I would heartily recommend going to RV Boot Camp which will be offered in Tucson in March at the Escapees Rally, you could rent n RV for the event. Boot Camp was the singe best thing we did when we were first thinking of fulltiming and if you don't yet own an RV that exactly what you need t get all those questions answered before you buy.

Our Blog is in our signature below.

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/11/2017 at 3:16 PM, Twotoes said:

Do you ask at the main desk or just ask around at the sites?   I'm new to all of this and we plan to start full timing as soon as we can, probably within a few months.  I've been to RV Parks a couple of times, once as a kid and once about 15 years ago so I"m not too familiar with them. 

12 minutes ago, Sharbysyd said:

Do you ask at the main desk or just ask around at the sites?   I'm new to all of this and we plan to start full timing as soon as we can, probably within a few months.  I've been to RV Parks a couple of times, once as a kid and once about 15 years ago so I"m not too familiar with them. 

I would assume that the front desk would discourage or say no to someone asking to wander through the park asking questions.

I would drive up, park in visitor parking and then walk around the park as though you were out for an evening stroll.  Lots of RV'ers do just that.  Plan on the walk around 5pm or so.  Plan on multiple trips to get a variety of people to talk with.  

Be sure to visit with people with 5th wheels, and not just MH's. 

As you are walking through the park, look for RV's which appear to be transient.  If they have lots of stuff outside, or skirts around the RV, they probably are permanent and work in the area rather than traveling for pleasure. 

As you walk by a RV'er sitting outside their RV and they volunteer to say "hi, how are you doing?", reply something like "we are fine how about you?".  If they seem to want more conversation, chit chat a little and then tell them your story and see where that takes you. 

Do keep in mind, we all have opinions and some people get pretty opinionated and stuck in what they think best.  So don't take everything we say as the only or best way to do things. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

I second, Kirk's suggestion about books on RV'ing. 

Additionally, go to these following forum areas and browse back though the topics looking for info you can use:

--  Beginning RV'ing

--  Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle

--  Graduating to Fulltime

As you read the posts, look at the signature lines for links to peoples websites or blogs.  Many of them have great info about how they stated and how they live and travel.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

On 1/11/2017 at 8:51 PM, EagleEye said:

My wife and I did this before we went full time 5 years ago.There was a RV park near where we lived and we would just go there and walk our dog through the park. We found people who were fulltime and were willing to take time to chat. Some time they would invite us to see their rig and answer questions that we had.

We were one of the folks who Eagle Eye (Dave and Marge) spoke with in the park near their former home. We greatly enjoyed to visit.

Certainly in the fall go to some of the classes at the RV show in Hershey Sept 13-17

Other good resources for full-timing classes or training on that side of the country would be...

RVSEF Technical Education and Safety Conference - October 1-5

RV-Dreams Fall Education Rally - Sept 25 - Oct 1 (Howard and Linda Payne and just read through the wealth of information on their website and Journal)

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

When looking around a park, you can usually narrow the fulltimer field down pretty well by looking for FL, SD, or TX plates. Unless of course the park is in one of those states. Those three are the most common "homes" (domicile states) for fulltimers.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

23 hours ago, TreyandSusan said:

We were one of the folks who Eagle Eye (Dave and Marge) spoke with in the park near their former home. We greatly enjoyed to visit.

We're still on the road just about to finish up our fifth year. Sure has gone fast. We're leaving Branson next week heading back to Northern Ill.

Dave and Marge

2010 Phaeton Motor Home
Previous Mobile Suites 36 RSSB3 (for sale)
and 2005 FL M2-106 Sport (for sale after 5er sells)

On 4/19/2017 at 5:44 PM, EagleEye said:

We're leaving Branson next week heading back to Northern Ill.

We expect to arrive in Branson (Turkey Creek) Monday for a week. Then head north to Stephenson County.

For Dale & Carmen, Be sure to take a hobby with you, but plan your hobby as to not compete for the same space on a rainy day. Then don't plan that you have to do anything, time will fly

Clay & Marcie Winter Texans

2015 FL M2-106 Sport Chassis

2016 DRV MS 38PS3/Dallas

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

• 2 months later...

'YouTube U' will give you plenty of interviews. Bob Wells channel CheapRVLiving has talked to hundreds of people. Also 'Gone With the Wynns' in addition to the previously mentioned Technomadia. I spent 4 years reading and watching everything I could get my hands on. It took me that long to prepare- but my wife and I have been full-time for over 6 months, and I wish I had done this years ago! We are east of the Missippi and make a loop, south of NC in winter, north of NC in summer. Kids and doctors are in Triad, so this works for us. We are in Memphis now! Good luck and do your homework, and remember, less is Best!

Archived