For those registered in SD

mkvacik

My house closes the end of the month and the plan is/has been to move to SD. I read that they do PT, like I have here in KS, so no problem there.

My question is, if you are licencesed personal truck is there any weight restriction on that? If I read properly here in KS, my limitation on PT is 26K, which is fine right now, and possibly fine once I build a bed and put a jeep on it, but I don't know that for sure till I start building.

Do I have any concerns weight wise there? I also don't have any problem doing an RV conversion if I had to, but I think I have other plans for the sleeper space than doing the RV conversion.

They (SD) charge for tags based on combined weight. I'm tagged for 21T and I paid ~$550 to register the truck when I bought it.

2004 Volvo 630, Cummins ISX, Eaton 10 speed (air assist clutch), 3.71 3.07 rear locker, ET jr, 200" WB, GearMaster

2017 Forest River Sierra 372LOK

Full time June 2017

DW, 2 kids, and 2 dogs

For the truck/trailer combo weight, yes. I still have to register the trailer. Not sure how much that is going to cost (picking it up from dealer in March)

2004 Volvo 630, Cummins ISX, Eaton 10 speed (air assist clutch), 3.71 3.07 rear locker, ET jr, 200" WB, GearMaster

Full time June 2017

DW, 2 kids, and 2 dogs

You should not have any issues with the 26k# limit. 26000 minus 17500 for the truck and then another 3500 for the Jeep. That leaves 5k# for the bed. Now if your pin weight also has to be in that the 26k# allowance, it gets a little bit harder. Keep in mind the base weight on the truck & Jeep that I am using are on the heavy side. So you may pick up another 1k#~1.5k# based on your actual weights.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

You should not have any issues with the 26k# limit. 26000 minus 17500 for the truck and then another 3500 for the Jeep. That leaves 5k# for the bed. Now if your pin weight also has to be in that the 26k# allowance, it gets a little bit harder. Keep in mind the base weight on the truck & Jeep that I am using are on the heavy side. So you may pick up another 1k#~1.5k# based on your actual weights.

Full of fuel in stock form my 387 is tipping the scale at 20,500

Either way, we are going with SD plates, so that will not matter. That is also a great question, no idea if the pin weight figures into the plated weight on the truck or not.

I thought it was the total weight of truck and trailer combined that mattered. This is why I had to get 21 Tons (42,000 lbs) for my Volvo

Full time June 2017

DW, 2 kids, and 2 dogs

I thought it was the total weight of truck and trailer combined that mattered. This is why I had to get 21 Tons (42,000 lbs) for my Volvo

That's correct. The tag on the truck has to cover the trucks total weight and the RV weight. So as Jeff has said, if your truck weighs 20k, and your camper weighs 20k, then your Tag needs to cover 40k minium. I think we rated our tag at 21 tons as well

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Double check if the truck needs to carry the trailer weights too. Typically a commercial trailer weight is carried by the tags on the commercial truck but noncommercial vehicles tags carry the weight for their own respective weights. I happen to have both my P/U & another trailers renewals here on my desk and both tag fees are based on their carrying weight. So while my P/U only shows a carrying weight of 1k# that does not limit me to a loaded trailer that only weighs 1k# or less.

Now for states that issue a permanent trailer tag, I would not be surprised if the tow vehicle carries both truck and trailer weight. In the end the State is going to want that money on a recurring bases not a just once and done.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

You only need to include weight of a trailer if it's a trailer with an ID plate (which is a flat fee, without weight). Since you can't do that with an RV trailer and its weight is paid for on its own tag, the truck just needs to be registered for its own (gross) weight, unless you might also pull another non-RV trailer.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

You only need to include weight of a trailer if it's a trailer with an ID plate (which is a flat fee, without weight). Since you can't do that with an RV trailer and its weight is paid for on its own tag, the truck just needs to be registered for its own (gross) weight, unless you might also pull another non-RV trailer.

Interesting. I will talk to the SD DMV about this when I register my fiver there in march. If I don't have to tag the truck for so much weight, I can use the savings to pay for those cool HIDs I just ordered :-)

Full time June 2017

DW, 2 kids, and 2 dogs

It may depend on how the truck is classed. If it is a truck-Tractor then it is only for use pulling something so its tag is just for its own weight, which is typically not to include any onboard loads beyond fluid. This gets to be a stickler with some insurance companies, though. They will not cover the truck unless it is in active use with the trailer it is towing. This brings into question uses as a daily driver, for instance, or as an overnighter.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Interesting. I will talk to the SD DMV about this when I register my fiver there in march. If I don't have to tag the truck for so much weight, I can use the savings to pay for those cool HIDs I just ordered :-)

Our 5'th wheel just has the ID type plate. I may call Minihaha county and ask. We registered the vehicles ourselves in Sioux Falls. The lady asked what it was while looking at the old registration, and proceeded. Maybe its wrong

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Double check if the truck needs to carry the trailer weights too. Typically a commercial trailer weight is carried by the tags on the commercial truck but noncommercial vehicles tags carry the weight for their own respective weights. I happen to have both my P/U & another trailers renewals here on my desk and both tag fees are based on their carrying weight. So while my P/U only shows a carrying weight of 1k# that does not limit me to a loaded trailer that only weighs 1k# or less.

Now for states that issue a permanent trailer tag, I would not be surprised if the tow vehicle carries both truck and trailer weight. In the end the State is going to want that money on a recurring bases not a just once and done.

In SD the truck covers the total weight.

In Kansas, the truck tag has to cover the total weight EXCEPT for RVs, which are covered by their own weight, so unhitch the trailer that is tagged for its weight separately and the truck tag has to cover what it weighs.

Our 5'th wheel just has the ID type plate. I may call Minihaha county and ask. We registered the vehicles ourselves in Sioux Falls. The lady asked what it was while looking at the old registration, and proceeded. Maybe its wrong

What was the wheel tax in Sioux Falls? I go through there often and it would be easy for me to go myself, although for all the more these places seem to charge for it, may be worth not taking up extra time for me as we will just be passing through on the way to see the inlaws, and off time is still a premium!

We registered our truck and trailer in Pennington last September. After reading numerous threads about what weight the truck should be tagged at, conversations with the folks at America's Mailbox and them verifying with the county, the truck is tagged at 21 tons to cover the weight of the truck and trailer. Apparently, the confusion comes from the state ping-ponging on this in past years. As it stands right now though, you pay for the weight of both on the truck.

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog
2013 Volvo 730 / iShift / D13 XE Package / ET Hitch
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43 Atlanta
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited

Read the blog at 40foothouse.com

R8O2pAw.jpg

What was the wheel tax in Sioux Falls? I go through there often and it would be easy for me to go myself, although for all the more these places seem to charge for it, may be worth not taking up extra time for me as we will just be passing through on the way to see the inlaws, and off time is still a premium!

Wheel tax was $4 per wheel I think. There is a sales tax if you haven't owned the vehicle for XXXX time.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

We registered our truck and trailer in Pennington last September. After reading numerous threads about what weight the truck should be tagged at, conversations with the folks at America's Mailbox and them verifying with the county, the truck is tagged at 21 tons to cover the weight of the truck and trailer. Apparently, the confusion comes from the state ping-ponging on this in past years. As it stands right now though, you pay for the weight of both on the truck.

So was registration cost for the trailer much less than the truck?

Full time June 2017

DW, 2 kids, and 2 dogs

• 2 weeks later...

So was registration cost for the trailer much less than the truck?

I will find out next week. House closes Tuesday and we are planning to head to Des Moines and grab a different pickup and go look at a jeep in Sioux Falls and get our registration and drivers licences taken care of, if I get my address by then, just finally got that paperwork sent off last week.

I was going to have them tag them for me, but I didn't know if you have to have salvage title vehicles inspected or VIN checked when registering them in SD, so I figured we will just do it all while we are there.

Anyone know for sure if I can buy my plates in Sioux Falls with my Pennington County address, or have to go to Pennington County to do that?

So if you register for 21T, (>26K lbs) how can you still register as a private truck?

Because it's a motorhome with sleeping quarters, microwave, fridge, 110v power, and porta potty. It qualifies as a motorhome albeit a heavy one.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Archived