Freeze damage

maggie blair

I am now looking at a Class C that wasn't properly winterized. The owner drained the water but didn't put antifreeze in the lines. I looked at the rig in storage and asked to check everything out. When we hooked up the water the toilet leaked in back, kitchen sink leaked underneath and water pump didn't work. Also he didn't drain the hot water heater. He lowered the price after seeing the issues but I am concerned as to how much damage there could be that I can't see. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for everyone's input. You guys are fantastic. I put out a request to the owner asking him if he would allow me to take it in to an RV place for a check up. He hasn't responded and if he doesn't allow that I will walk away.

Maggie Blair

Not knowing the type of RV and location of the water system's various components, I would say keep looking. Also did he forget to dump the tanks? May have to replace the waste system also.

Teacher's Pet

'06 40' Phaeton QSH 350 Cat.

'04 R-Vision B+ Model 213, 6.0 Chevrolet.

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com

http://map.datastormusers.com/user3.cfm?user=3912

I am with teachers pet. Walk away.

If the hot water tank was not drained it may have been damaged, the water lines may have been damaged, and even the waste tanks and lines may have been if not drained.

With the damage you know about and the unknown damage are you sure that you want to get involved? If you could repair the damage yourself then it maybe worth considering. If you are not handy enough to replace the water pump and a waste tank or a water heater yourself then it could get real expensive real fast.

Just my two cents

See you on the road!

Never forgot to winterize the rig but did freeze up driving down the road once. Though the PEX piping did not burst many snake-bite crimp fitting had to be replaced or recrimped. The pump was toast but the water heater lived as did the holding tanks with the exception of a cracked ABS fitting coming from the forward gray tank. That was a PITA because a major portion of underbelly had to come down and the insulation that got wet (after the thaw) had to be replaced. Even after it is (apparently) fixed problems could still pop up that were not found like in the walls floor or underbelly. Warm weather is a must to figure that out. Personally I'd pass on a rig froze up this hard.

Best of luck finding a rig.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

Thanks so much. I asked the owner if he would allow me to take it to an RV shop and have it checked out for damage. If he refuses this request I will walk away.

Magge, I would not even go this far. There are too many other rigs out there that are in great shape. You still run significant risk even tho it will have been checked out. Most likely there are a number of things that are not quite fully broken right now. Down the road, lots of shaking, hitting pot holes and the like, high water pressure in a park, etc., those items that were weakened will finally break. You will do yourself a big favor if you just walk away right now.

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

Maggie run away from this rig. You are asking for nothing but heartbreak and problems. There are plenty of rigs out there that are well taken care of with love. Just keep on looking and your perfect rig will appear. It is not meant to be this one. Even having it inspected will not weed out all the future problems, too many things are hidden.

Have you ever seen a water spot on a ceiling then tried to trace it to its source? Water is very stealthy. No inspection is likely to find all the problems with this rig. Plus, I agree that an owner who didn't properly winterize probably didn't properly do lots of other things like routine maintenance of the engine/generator/air conditioner, etc. Please, do not buy this rig; it will likely stop being a bargain very quickly.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

You have solicited opinions from a group of very knowledgeable RV'ers, what you do now is on you.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived