Yamaha Generator with less than 10 hrs barely runs

stevekk

All my fault. Did not winterize gas. Let it stand over winter without starting.

So I guess carb is all gummed up.

Its a Yamaha 2800i.

I am willing to do the work myself and fix.

How do I fix it?

Or should I take it in to dealer? Out of warrantee. Thanks..

Steve

LIFETIME MEMBER
2011 Born Free Class C
OR/ CA border

NEWBIE, so I have everything to learn !

Howdy!

If you can get it to run, pour some SeaFoam and run it for some time to see if it will clean it up.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sea-Foam-SF-16-Motor-Treatment-16-oz.-Multi-Colored/16664932

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

You might try a heavy dose of Sea Foam in the gas. I have also had some luck by draining the float bowl. Then use the gas line to the carburetor to fill it with Sea Foam and let it sit before starting it. A more sure way is to have the carburetor professionally cleaned.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Try using a torch tip cleaner for the idle jet and fuel passage. Certainly add Seafoam as well. I am doing the same thing with a Yamaha 6600. Left the fuel in it and forgot about it. I have to get in the habit of shutting off the petcock and running it till it quits and then draining the fuel from the carberator. An option I have considered is to get an LP conversion kit for it for around $100, then wont have to bother with any of that.

Marcel

I will never own another Yamaha generator after owning both the 2800i and the the 1000i. They will have carb issues regardless even if you run the gas out and run a fuel stabilizer. I do however own Hondas that start/run on two year old gas without an issue.....

Anyway, now for the fix. Both of my Yamahas had issues with a jet that is above the fuel bowl in the main body and seemed to corrode inside even when the fuel was shut off/run dry before storage. At first I would pull the carbs, remove the bowls, and clean everything, but never really found anything. Start them up and they ran horrible...until I found this little jet in the main body that needs to be cleaned with a super small wire. For the 1000i, I had to cut a fine hair from a stainless brush as it was the only thing I could find small enough to fit! If I remember correctly, I didn't even have to pull the carb completely to remove this jet.

Not really a brand complaint, but it appears that the particular carb Yamaha uses is the only one I have seen with this jet. Hoping this helps you and others who would otherwise miss it......I know I did and I have worked on small engines and motorcycles my whole life.

Here, I found a pic on the net...... It's the little brass jet under the screw with the spring on it.

YamahaEF100powergeneratorcarburetor7FL-1

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Had an issue with a poor running Honda EU1000i (no petcock to be able to turn off, only left gas in the carb for a month!). But apparently the EU1000i has a gumming issue, probably because the hole in the jet is so small. I cleaned it with the hair of a brush, and it ran fine. Now I drain the float bowl if I'm going to store it with gas for a longer amount of time.

Thanks everybody.

And the heads up on the corroding jet.

Might be more reason to convert over to propane.

Something to think about.

Will the engine run any quieter on propane?

Steve

LIFETIME MEMBER
2011 Born Free Class C
OR/ CA border

NEWBIE, so I have everything to learn !

Old time secret : Mix a decent amount of two stroke oil into all fuel . It acts as a fuel conditioner and a top end lube .

That supposed corrosion probably isn't corrosion at all . It' is most likely leftovers from the corn syrup we are forced to accept as fuel .

Goes around , comes around .

Thanks everybody.

And the heads up on the corroding jet.

Might be more reason to convert over to propane.

Something to think about.

Will the engine run any quieter on propane?

http://www.propane-generators.com/

I have a 7K genset in my Newmar 5er which has a seperate fuel tank. With truck being diesel and trailer being propane, I am considering this option too as a means to simplify my life by reducing my fuel runs by 1/3. Plus, LP burns cleaner and is already always in the trailer and no need to run frequently to prevent gumming up.

Exhaust noise shouldnt be affected in any way by propane, but the exhaust gas isnt as harmful. Consider that forklifts used in warehouses arent allowed to use gasoline but do use propane. I have a concrete saw that I can use inside because it uses propane.

Marcel

All my fault. Did not winterize gas. Let it stand over winter without starting.

So I guess carb is all gummed up.

Its a Yamaha 2800i.

I am willing to do the work myself and fix.

How do I fix it?

Or should I take it in to dealer? Out of warrantee. Thanks..

I did the same thing with my Boliy genset. I had to replace the carb; sure glad it was only $39. I would look online for the service/repair manual. I know mine was a great help.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I had the carbs gum up on my Yamaha 1000 generator and my Kawasaki KLX250. motorcycle. Seafoam cleared both of them up. I now use only non ethanol gas in them. If Seafoam doesn't clear things up, take the carb off and soak it in a can of carb cleaner.

Honda has the same issue so don't knock Yamaha. Blame the crappy fuel that we are stuck with.

Tom
—————————————————
2005 Born Free 24' Rear Bath
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

I used to soak my carbs in vanquish toilet bowel cleaner. It is a weak acid. Don't leave in over night or you will have too many holes. I then use brake parts cleaner. It doesn't burn your hands like carburetor cleaner.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Archived